Join Us Now

Resources/Restrictions for Keystone and Breckenridge Areas

Desert Drone Works

Fancy Title Here
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
www.desertdroneworks.com
Hey folks. Not trying to reinvent the wheel here, but I am traveling next month for a ski trip to Breckenridge and Keystone and thought it would be awesome to document some of my travels from above.

Upon doing some research it seems like this is fairly restrictive. For example, Breckenridge requires a day pass permit seen here: Permitting for UAS (Unmaned Aircraft Systems)/Drones | Breckenridge, CO

I haven't stumbled onto Keystone requirements yet. I'm aware of National Parks and all that, but am only trying to get shots of the ski TOWNS themselves.

Any locals that can steer a strictly desert guy in the right direction?

Sounds like an illegal drone ordinance but that's not surprising since Colorado is well-known for plenty of illegal and unconstitutional statutes and ordinances across the various cities and communities throughout the state in all aspect of life. This is what happens when a state doesn't respect freedom and the Constitution and the rule of law. It isn't surprising to me most US citizens redress their government by challenging and ignoring these ridiculous laws. Why the FAA or someone else hasn't shut this down by now is unknown; however, it probably speaks to how irrelevant it might really be.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
…Colorado is well-known for plenty of illegal and unconstitutional statutes and ordinances across the various cities and communities throughout the state in all aspect of life.

….state doesn't respect freedom and the Constitution and the rule of law.

While I disagree with these overly broad and wholly uninformed characterizations, this thread isn’t about Coloradans and the attack on our personal freedoms in “all aspects of life.”

At the risk of repeating what you already know, in general, local governments and private landowners can only control what happens ON their property. They have no authority to restrict flyovers of that property by UAS. The notable major exceptions are those situations where the use of the navigable air space interferes with the use or enjoyment of the property or devalues it to the point where it constitutes a taking. Another exception involves committing offenses including harassment, voyeurism, invasion of a recognized privacy right etc etc.

Neither the federal or Colorado State constitutions confer a right to operate in navigable airspace to anyone. The right to do so is a creature statute and common law. I do agree many jurisdictions enact laws and regulations which fly in the face of existing law - but this is certainly not peculiar to any state.

I deal with precisely this situation on a regular basis when flying over county owned “Open Space“ properties. My first line of defense is stealth, the second is compliance - when told to move on, I just do. The beauty of living in Colorado is that the next beautiful vista is only minutes away.

I’m certain there will come a time when a citation will be issued and I’ll have to decide to fight the $50 fine or come out of retirement and litigate it. To the original poster, I suggest keeping a low profile, record all interactions with authorities, follow the path of least resistance and enjoy your vacation and all that our spectacular state has to offer.

There are several roads that take you up the side of mountains that give a great view of Breckenridge. You might look at those places to launch from, for a few minutes of video. I used to fly my airplane out of Granby airport years ago and go flying over Breckenridge, they don't own any airspace there, as a pilot you can fly where you wish. Almost no air traffic to worry about, in that area.

I HIGHLY recommend visiting the restaurant called "The Mint" when you are in the area. I think it is in Silverthorn. It was the old Mint, back in the day. You choose your cut of meat from the cooler, season it to your taste with their selection of seasonings, then everyone grills their own to their liking, around a huge open BBQ pit inside.

They have all sorts of basting flavours in jugs, to slop on your steak and have thick garlic bread slices to grill along side your meat, plus a salad bar. Well worth the visit, trust me. I used to live in Breckenridge and Vail for several years. Wish I was there right now, enjoy your time there.

• Love
Reactions: Desert Drone Works

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1