DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Responsible people

Use the opportunity while it's still fresh in minds, to post your feelings about the Gatwick drones to your social media contacts. A letter or email to your local MP wouldn't hurt either.

In light of the recent events, we should all get together as responsible people and persuade the authorities this should not reflect on the drone community. Any suggestions.
I think people from the UK Should go one step furtherAnd write to their local MPs letter along the following lines –
“there is no reason for extra regulation to avoid disasters like the Gatwick airport drone shut down. . Obviously the people who perpetrated the disaster Had no intention of abiding by the current regulations Which include
1) the drone Should always be visible
2) they should always fly below 400 feet.
3) they should not fly within 1 mile of an airport (or is it further?)
Et cetera et cetera
Additional Regulations would simply impact the law-abiding hobbyists and would not bother those intent on causing harm or chaos
We don’t ban laptop computers because of hackers, we do not ban driving because of reckless drivers. Inwe do not ban activities because of rogue elements.
You could completely ban all drones tomorrow and you would still be vulnerable to idiots/criminals such as those who created havoc at Gatwick Airport.
As the total aside I find it astonishing that Gatwick airport was so easily closed down.This remark is not meant to be in any way condoning what has happened.

I think people from the UK Should go one step furtherAnd write to their local MPs letter along the following lines –
“there is no reason for extra regulation to avoid disasters like the Gatwick airport drone shut down. . Obviously the people who perpetrated the disaster Had no intention of abiding by the current regulations Which include
1) the drone Should always be visible
2) they should always fly below 400 feet.
3) they should not fly within 1 mile of an airport (or is it further?)
Et cetera et cetera
Additional Regulations would simply impact the law-abiding hobbyists and would not bother those intent on causing harm or chaos
We don’t ban laptop computers because of hackers, we do not ban driving because of reckless drivers. Inwe do not ban activities because of rogue elements.
You could completely ban all drones tomorrow and you would still be vulnerable to idiots/criminals such as those who created havoc at Gatwick Airport.
As the total aside I find it astonishing that Gatwick airport was so easily closed down.This remark is not meant to be in any way condoning what has happened.

We've used the same approach in the U.S.A. concerning firearms and the left still believe the answer is more laws, rules, regulations. They somehow believe that I should be castrated because my neighbor has too many kids. We don't outlaw cars because someone drives drunk. Lay the fault where it belongs on the fool committing the crime. jes my .o2

We've used the same approach in the U.S.A. concerning firearms and the left still believe the answer is more laws, rules, regulations. They somehow believe that I should be castrated because my neighbor has too many kids. We don't outlaw cars because someone drives drunk. Lay the fault where it belongs on the fool committing the crime. jes my .o2
Not exactly on topic of drone, but . . . GUNS! Why is it, when there is a shooting, it was the gun’s fault, not the person who pulled the trigger, so ban guns. Somebody dies from a drunk driver, it’s the driver’s fault, amazingly we got that one right. Someone OD’s from drugs, it society’s fault, now everybody is to blame. (I didn’t have a **** thing to do with herion, but I’m to blame as well!?! 2 irresponsible drone pilots, out of how many millions world wide, many people call for a ban! How did that work out for guns, alcohol, drugs?!? When someone. Does something wrong, plain and simple, It’s that persons fault. We don’t need more legislation! We are already well legislated, and still problems exist. I’ve always thought the person committing the offense was responsible for the wrong actions, but too many politicians wish a massive ban, that way they can punish everybody (as if it’s everybody’s fault!). Yes, we do need to educate the public. Yes, we do need to show ourselves and others we are responsible in our actions. Yes, we do need to provide help and guidance to those that operate in a less than legal manner. (Sorry, but, even here on the forum, some pilots seem to brag, unknowingly, on matters of rules/laws violations they commit.) Ok, I’m done. This is directed to no one in particular, and I apoligize if some are offended, but I believe we should begin our policing efforts but taking a look at ourself first. Become the best pilot you know and build from there!

Last edited:
Not exactly on topic of drone, but . . . GUNS! Why is it, when there is a shooting, it was the gun’s fault, not the person who pulled the trigger, so ban guns. Somebody dies from a drunk driver, it’s the driver’s fault, amazingly we got that one right. Someone OD’s from drugs, it society’s fault, now everybody is to blame. (I didn’t have a **** thing to do with herion, but I’m to blame as well!?! 2 irresponsible drone pilots, out of how many millions world wide, many people call for a ban! How did that work out for guns, alcohol, drugs?!? When someone. Does something wrong, plain and simple, It’s that persons fault. We don’t need more legislation! We are already well legislated, and still problems exist. I’ve always thought the person committing the offense was responsible for the wrong actions, but too many politicians wish a massive ban, that way they can punish everybody (as if it’s everybody’s fault!). Yes, we do need to educate the public. Yes, we do need to show ourselves and others we are responsible in our actions. Yes, we do need to provide help and guidance to those that operate in a less than legal manner. (Sorry, but, even here on the forum, some pilots seem to brag, unknowingly, on matters of rules/laws violations they commit.) Ok, I’m done. This is directed to no one in particular, and I apoligize if some are offended, but I believe we should begin our policing efforts but taking a look at ourself first. Become the best pilot you know and build from there!
I believe this is very on-topic. Here in the UK we still have the terrorist attack of the 3rd June 2017 in our minds - where people were killed by a white Renault van driving into them on London Bridge. Total loss of life was 11, with 48 injured. After the attack, there was not one suggestion that white Renault vans should be banned - nor was there any suggestion that such vehicles should be excluded from this area. I don't want to be flippant, but my point is very much that it was people who decided to cause havoc at Gatwick, not Drones - just like it was people who drove the van into pedestrians, and people who shoot and stab others with guns and knives. You can regulate as much as you like against the 'thing' but it's not going to stop those people who have got something against others outside of their own 'world-view'.
So - yes - be responsible in what you do and you'll be respected - Not just in flying your drone, but in every way you live your life ...

I‘m fully with nearly everything posted here about the airport drone issue.

One thing I see fully different is free availability of any types of guns/weapons. There is no reason why this should be allowed for normal people. There is simple no argument why „you and me“ require to protect ourself with stuff like that OR even have the chance to hurt or even kill anybody else. This stuff belongs in the hands of police and military only.
Of course, we can’t really protect that criminals got this stuff in their hands. BUT we should take care that it is not possible for you and me to purchase this stuff

Reactions: bushie
I believe this is very on-topic. Here in the UK we still have the terrorist attack of the 3rd June 2017 in our minds - where people were killed by a white Renault van driving into them on London Bridge. Total loss of life was 11, with 48 injured. After the attack, there was not one suggestion that white Renault vans should be banned - nor was there any suggestion that such vehicles should be excluded from this area. I don't want to be flippant, but my point is very much that it was people who decided to cause havoc at Gatwick, not Drones - just like it was people who drove the van into pedestrians, and people who shoot and stab others with guns and knives. You can regulate as much as you like against the 'thing' but it's not going to stop those people who have got something against others outside of their own 'world-view'.
So - yes - be responsible in what you do and you'll be respected - Not just in flying your drone, but in every way you live your life ...
Bingo! It is the few that ruin it for the many!

I‘m fully with nearly everything posted here about the airport drone issue.

One thing I see fully different is free availability of any types of guns/weapons. There is no reason why this should be allowed for normal people. There is simple no argument why „you and me“ require to protect ourself with stuff like that OR even have the chance to hurt or even kill anybody else. This stuff belongs in the hands of police and military only.
Of course, we can’t really protect that criminals got this stuff in their hands. BUT we should take care that it is not possible for you and me to purchase this stuff
Guns are another issue, but not for this forum. I’ll simply point to the 2nd Admendment to the US Constitution. And now, back to drones

Reactions: Ping^Spike
You need one and only one law... You are responsible for your actions. The lawyers always find some pathetic excuse, such as, "His grandmother died 25 years ago and he is suffering", or "His partner left him so he couldn't cope" etc. and the "wise?" judges seem to buy this BS. Until the judges wise up, nothing much will change, and we all get partially blamed for someone's stupid actions.

Reactions: old man mavic
It is vital for DJI to be responsible also. To customers. I notice a DJI Staff Member just closes a forum thread discussing actions by DJI which are potentially damaging to customers. I paid $1,000 for a new Mavic Pro Platinum. I'm so covered by military and civilian airport areas, no major one closer than 5 miles, the new "nofly"lock by DJI will not even let me take off. In the forum which the Staff Member "closed" in embarrassment I discovered DJI does have some method of unlocking the freedom to use this expensive product. Sadly, the operating manual in box and online is printed in such tiny font, I can't study it effectively. I have 10 perfectly safe and legally proper flights with my older Phantom 3 Advance. The previous DJI warnings were helpful and proper in my view. But locking a $1,000 product shut so it cannot be used, while a customer is meticulously following all FAA rules is over kill by far. How do I get my useless $1,000 back? Or how do I find an operating manual with a font large enough to use effectively.

It is vital for DJI to be responsible also. To customers. I notice a DJI Staff Member just closes a forum thread discussing actions by DJI which are potentially damaging to customers. I paid $1,000 for a new Mavic Pro Platinum. I'm so covered by military and civilian airport areas, no major one closer than 5 miles, the new "nofly"lock by DJI will not even let me take off. In the forum which the Staff Member "closed" in embarrassment I discovered DJI does have some method of unlocking the freedom to use this expensive product. Sadly, the operating manual in box and online is printed in such tiny font, I can't study it effectively. I have 10 perfectly safe and legally proper flights with my older Phantom 3 Advance. The previous DJI warnings were helpful and proper in my view. But locking a $1,000 product shut so it cannot be used, while a customer is meticulously following all FAA rules is over kill by far. How do I get my useless $1,000 back? Or how do I find an operating manual with a font large enough to use effectively.
DJI Mavic Pro Platinum Downloads & Manuals
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20171219/Mavic Pro User Manual V2.0.pdf
Reading glasses

Reactions: TR Ganey
I agree DJI should not be able to lock it out in the first place. That being said there are ways around it. Don’t give up too quickly, do some research.

Colorado Springs: KCOS Class “C” muni AP joint with Peterson AFB, Ft Carson Butts Field Heli’s and C130s Cheyenne Mt (NORAD (now tracking Santa)), north end is the USAF Academy (student pilots, gliders, parachutes.) Just East is Shriever AFB (US Space Com). East of KCOS and going south for maybe 40 miles to Pueblo is designated USAF student training areas (Not just local military students, but includes military flight training from NM, TX, AZ. West is mountains filled with state and national forests. Look at a sectional chart sometime and see how much of the city is covered with 5 mile radius of class C and hospital helicopters (and the Army buzzing their choppers, and aeroclubs flying all over the city at low altitudes, plus the reserve unit with C130s. But yet, I can fly!! And, I love it.

No Fly Zones are a bit of an evolving tech' so keep in touch using Google and YouTube with reputable sources (such as DJI). If you have something in a manual, it's probably outdated in a matter of months. My understanding is that it's a bit of a pain first time you want to set it up, but once you have the DJI account in place - it's then just an easy process through Go 4. Have a look at the likes of this:

Reactions: Bobby Brown
And how do you think the currently aggravated public will feel when they find drone forums teaching how to remove geofencing? Yes, I get that some of the NFZs cover areas that they don't need to, but this is not the answer, this is something to take up with your aviation authority.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe