DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Restricted Airspace

BillW

Reactions
I'm looking to pick up a Mini 2 / Mini 2 SE just for some fun.
I previously owned a Phantom 3 and a Mavic Mini.
It's been about 4 years since I had a drone, and I miss it.
Being a photographer, I realize that some of my more interesting shots have been those where I can get just above the wires of the streets, usually 50-100 ft, and eliminate distractions.

My question is, since the <250g drones do not need to be registered, does the Restricted Airspace of the app come into play with the mini's?

I fully understand the reason behind not flying in restricted airspace, but my home (and my friend's home) are about 4 miles from an airport. We don't fly near there, but occasionally I want to take a test flight in the yard, without going more than 30-50 feet (just above roof height), and I wasn't sure if that safeguard would enable me to still take off.

Thanks!

The DJI flight restrictions inside the Fly app apply to sub-250 g drones. I have a Mini 3 Pro and need to get a DJI unlock to fly places it's perfectly legal to fly.

If your friend is 4 miles from an airport, it's very unlikely it's restricted airspace. Check the Air Aware app and see if you need to get LAANC. If you do, simply apply for the LAANC approval (it's instant) on Air Control, the sister app to Air Aware. KAVP has some pretty generous airspace rules for drones. I doubt you're in restricted airspace. Controlled, yes, but no restricted.

Also, make sure you have taken your TRUST. It seems you are a bit confused about airspace designation and rules. TRUST will help you understand them better, and it required to fly your drone recreationally in the U.S. Also, never rely on the DJI app to tell you if you can fly there. It allows you to fly in some spaces you're not allowed, and doesn't allow you to fly in some places you are. Not very accurate.

You can take that at FAA TRUST Online Portal for Recreational Drone Operators - Pilot Institute. It's free and you can't fail. And as mentioned, it's required. If you're a professional photographer, I also suggest you get your Remote Pilot Certificate (107). That way you can you use drone commercially. Pilot Institute has a great class for that too.

Reactions: 4006448
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efe