DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Restricted area

I'm easily within 2 maybe 3 miles of Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah,GA while at Lake Mayer and I'm able to fly but I have to keep it under 200' and I'm warned and have to click the box agreeing that I know this before takeoff.
At Lake Mayer, you're well inside the controlled airspace for SAVANNAH/HUNTER AAF, KSVN. You might want to have a look at B4YouFly for details before further flights there.

Note that LAANC approval is not available.

Screenshot 2023-02-10 173923.jpg

I had approval under a 1/4 from a major airport at 90’. I unlocked the geo zone from my phone (not recommended, not smart device friendly. Do from your computer before you leave the house). I didn’t do a very good job in making my fly grid around a large warehouse building to be photographed. At one point I needed to back up another 20’ to get the entire building in. I got the can’t go further audio message from my controller. I hit the”wall” of my unlocked geo zone.

So, last night I needed a minor drone repair, and the drone tech works out of his house in the 100 ft height range of Orlando International Airport ( MCO ). The planes were flying right over our heads. When he finished repair, he said try the drone out to make sure everything is OK. I was surprised and started it up , rose it 4 ft and then put it back down.

So why would I not get any warning on screen in that situation and get an immediate warning in Disney restricted area and in Disney it shut the craft down in 90 seconds ??

So, last night I needed a minor drone repair, and the drone tech works out of his house in the 100 ft height range of Orlando International Airport ( MCO ). The planes were flying right over our heads. When he finished repair, he said try the drone out to make sure everything is OK. I was surprised and started it up , rose it 4 ft and then put it back down.

So why would I not get any warning on screen in that situation and get an immediate warning in Disney restricted area and in Disney it shut the craft down in 90 seconds ??
Just to be sure what you're saying...

Your drone knew where you were, meaning your drone had a sufficient GPS lock & you wasn't taking off inside?

Just to be sure what you're saying...

Your drone knew where you were, meaning your drone had a sufficient GPS lock & you wasn't taking off inside?
We were on his lawn, I didn't look hard at the details on screen, it was dark, drone was hovering at 3 feet and I went up a couple feet, then landed, didn't notice any warnings, wasn't comfortable doing anything more cause I knew I was in Airspace very close to airport.
When I started up drone in Disney restricted zone, I brought drone up 3 feet, it immediately gave a warning on screen that drone would land in 90 seconds, which it did and shut down. I tried starting up again just out of curiosity and nothing would happen.

MAYBE, I didn't let it run long enough for GPS lock. It was running for maybe 90 seconds, which should be long enough.

We were on his lawn, I didn't look hard at the details on screen, it was dark, drone was hovering at 3 feet and I went up a couple feet, then landed, didn't notice any warnings, wasn't comfortable doing anything more cause I knew I was in Airspace very close to airport.
When I started up drone in Disney restricted zone, I brought drone up 3 feet, it immediately gave a warning on screen that drone would land in 90 seconds, which it did and shut down. I tried starting up again just out of curiosity and nothing would happen.

MAYBE, I didn't let it run long enough for GPS lock. It was running for maybe 90 seconds, which should be long enough.
What were the FlySafe Zones that came up? Was the one near the airport in a direct extension of the runway zone or outside the runway extensions?

The big difference comes from the fact that DJI’s FlySafe zones are not the same as our UAS Facilities Map (the basis of the LAANC system). Do not trust the FlySafe system to keep you within compliance for US airspace rules. It is under protective in some areas and over protective in others.

Reactions: MS Coast
understood, thank you. I need to keep a better eye on the details. Still on a major learning curve. 😎
One of the best apps for airspace is Air Control (formerly Aloft). I recommend it because it is the big brother of B4UFLY and has the capability of submitting a LAANC request. B4UFLY will tell you you need one, and then tries to load Air Control so I avoid the extra step.

Reactions: Mavikhan
... I need to keep a better eye on the details. Still on a major learning curve. 😎
In order to know why thing's happen... to get a stronger feeling that it's you that's piloting the drone & not some unknown suspicious DJI algorithm that will take you with surprise any minute, you need to get around 3 rather simple thing's.

1. Out from the user manual (HERE) read up on all functionality & step by step test all out with your drone in an outside open place without obstacles... & do it low, slow & near.

2. Learn how to get your flight logs up on the PhantomHelp log viewer site (HERE) ... there you can check off what happened during a flight if you think something out of the ordinary happened, like sat. count, stick moves & battery levels. All is presented in a simple interface so you can replay the flight (example how it can look below)
1677317790037.png

3. Learn that the only thing that can regulate your flight physically, beside yourself... is the DJI Fly Safe material. In there you have all regulated flight zones that DJI have put in... this material allows you to fly, or asks you for your consent in some cases or it can prevent you to fly in an area or above a certain altitude. This material can never be taken for 100% correct comparing to the real legal regulations from FAA, you need to check other apps to know for sure that your flight will be legal...

Here you can scout out an area on your computer, where you plan to fly in regards to the DJI Fly Safe --> (HERE)

If you can get your head around above 3 points, you will be a much more confident drone pilot which rarely will be taken by surprise during a flight... & also better suited to learn even more.

In order to know why thing's happen... to get a stronger feeling that it's you that's piloting the drone & not some unknown suspicious DJI algorithm that will take you with surprise any minute, you need to get around 3 rather simple thing's.

1. Out from the user manual (HERE) read up on all functionality & step by step test all out with your drone in an outside open place without obstacles... & do it low, slow & near.

2. Learn how to get your flight logs up on the PhantomHelp log viewer site (HERE) ... there you can check off what happened during a flight if you think something out of the ordinary happened, like sat. count, stick moves & battery levels. All is presented in a simple interface so you can replay the flight (example how it can look below)
View attachment 161061

3. Learn that the only thing that can regulate your flight physically, beside yourself... is the DJI Fly Safe material. In there you have all regulated flight zones that DJI have put in... this material allows you to fly, or asks you for your consent in some cases or it can prevent you to fly in an area or above a certain altitude. This material can never be taken for 100% correct comparing to the real legal regulations from FAA, you need to check other apps to know for sure that your flight will be legal...

Here you can scout out an area on your computer, where you plan to fly in regards to the DJI Fly Safe --> (HERE)

If you can get your head around above 3 points, you will be a much more confident drone pilot which rarely will be taken by surprise during a flight... & also better suited to learn even more.
Thank you !

Where I live, When I need to do any flights for realty or any other jobs I have to get clearance. The whole blasted area for like 5 miles is restricted because of the airport. It really sucks, but it is what it is. I can't imagine what it is like by WDW and Orlando.

So just out of curiosity I tried starting up my mini 3 Pro today on the very outskirt of the Disney restricted Zone as I did at the beginning of this post. I wanted to carefully watch my screen to see what came up. I have to visit this property that I manage so thought I would see what happens this time. When I started drone , the RC instantly said Restricted Zone, unable to fly. I tried starting the drone and it wouldn't even start up. Last time I tried the drone started up and I was given a verbal warning that it would shut down in 90 seconds, which it did and then would not start again. Wasn't going to fly, just wanted to observe action on RC.
RC .JPG

So just out of curiosity I tried starting up my mini 3 Pro today on the very outskirt of the Disney restricted Zone as I did at the beginning of this post. I wanted to carefully watch my screen to see what came up. I have to visit this property that I manage so thought I would see what happens this time. When I started drone , the RC instantly said Restricted Zone, unable to fly. I tried starting the drone and it wouldn't even start up. Last time I tried the drone started up and I was given a verbal warning that it would shut down in 90 seconds, which it did and then would not start again. Wasn't going to fly, just wanted to observe action on RC.
View attachment 161206
So is the location you refer to just inside the zone or just outside the zone?

The TFR for WDW in Florida and WDL in California are more or less a permanent 3 nmi radius TFR for drones as well as other aircraft. This is one instance where FlySafe and US airspace rules align perfectly.

Here is a link to the TFR for WDW in Florida:

Please note that it includes the contact information to obtain a waiver to fly within the TFR boundaries.

So is the location you refer to just inside the zone or just outside the zone?

The TFR for WDW in Florida and WDL in California are more or less a permanent 3 nmi radius TFR for drones as well as other aircraft. This is one instance where FlySafe and US airspace rules align perfectly.

Here is a link to the TFR for WDW in Florida:

Please note that it includes the contact information to obtain a waiver to fly within the TFR boundaries.
Wait a place where flysafe and faa are consistent with each other? Didn't know such a place existed.

Somewhere In the fantasy land of disney.

• Haha
Reactions: DoomMeister
The unlock will be rejected if the FAA has an NFZ in place. Looks like you can get approval up to the 400' max from what I see on the map. Of course, I don't know your exact location

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada