DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Retrieve real-time in-flight data

sparvu

Reactions
Hello all,

Im Stefan Parvu, Finland. Just got a new drone, Mavic 2 Zoom. Amazing machine. I really like it. Despite many comments from the web that it is an obsolete machine and not very spec 2020 orientated, I think the drone is capable and fun. It is amazing how stable is in tough winds.
So at this moment, Im currently learning the basic operations and try to become a good pilot. Will take some time.

Same time, Im working on Kronometrix Analytics (www.kronometrix.com, Projects · kronometrix / recording)

I have a question: is there any way to send in-flight real-time data from the drone to a remote site or else? Im trying to see if I am able to capture in-flight realtime data from my drone and analyze it under Kronometrix, a software designed to calculate many things.

I would be interested for start in: altitude, speed, compass heading direction, battery level for example. Any ideas if this is supported somehow? Later Im planning to use data from more than one drone and analyze the fleet.

Thanks,
Stefan

Reactions: TTP and TreeHugger
Welcome to the forums, @sparvu !
I'm sure the answer your looking for will be found.

Reactions: TTP
is there any way to send in-flight real-time data from the drone to a remote site or else?
Due to the closed eco-system of DJI's communication protocols (Lightbridge 1/2 or Ocusync 1/2) there is no way to extract the requested data with a usual setup. (M2Z and Remote Controller and GO4)

You need to write your own code using the Mobile SDK on iOS or Android or the Windows SDK.
You then have access to the required telemetry data and you can process that data as you like.

thanks for pointers. So let me see if I understood.

The only way to send data from, lets say Mavic 2 series drones, is to write some iOS/Android code which runs on the mobile side and fetches data from the drone via the remote controller ? Is this right ?

thanks for pointers. So let me see if I understood.

The only way to send data from, lets say Mavic 2 series drones, is to write some iOS/Android code which runs on the mobile side and fetches data from the drone via the remote controller ? Is this right ?
That is correct

thanks a lot. will start to read over the Mobile iOS SDK.
There’s a sample app for both OSs that if you download it and build it it will fly the drone.
It’s a little rough around the edges but it might do what you want right out of the box with a bit of added code - like set up a website that you can post the data of to.

It’s right in there In DJI’s git hub account just clone it. If you go with the android one it’s a lot less painful because he can just put the apk file on your device and install it.

It pretty much just built right out of the box for me with android studio.

I followed your link so perhaps you will do android studio on Linux which should not be a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
There’s a sample app for both OSs that if you download it and build it it will fly the drone.
It’s a little rough around the edges but it might do what you want right out of the box with a bit of added code - like set up a website that you can post the data of to.

It’s right in there In DJI’s git hub account just clone it. If you go with the android one it’s a lot less painful because he can just put the apk file on your device and install it.

aha. will start this week to learn and dig into this topic. Thanks for pointers.

Still asking about this: is the same approach covering all the other DJI drones ? Consumer or industrial ? Meaning if we for example invest more money in Mavic 2 Enterprise or some other drone model would anything change in respect with gathering real-time data ?

Still asking about this: is the same approach covering all the other DJI drones ? Consumer or industrial ? Meaning if we for example invest more money in Mavic 2 Enterprise or some other drone model would anything change in respect with gathering real-time data ?
I would say No - the real time data should be the same.
The SDK handles all but the MA2 as that has not been added yet. Barring features that are in one model but not another I would say your code should works across all the DJI drones in the consumer line and perhaps the professional as well.
I would jump in and look thru the code.

invest more money in Mavic 2 Enterprise or some other drone model would anything change in respect with gathering real-time data ?
Look at the Matrice 200 v2 and the Manifold 2 add-on computer.
With the Manifold 2 attached on the AC you are able to process any data coming from the flight controller in real time and do whatever you like to do with it.

I realize this is old but I wanted to suggest another solution that may work for people who don't want to program their own Android App from scratch. I don't know if this would work for most drones but on the Mavic 2 you can connect two controllers. If you installed the RosettaDrone app on the second control, you could then send all the telemetry by MavLink to QGroundControl or whatever other app you wanted to use to capture it in realtime. I haven't tried this personally. Also I believe you can fly the drone in the RosettaDrone app, but you will be missing some functionality that the regular DJI app offers. If you found it acceptable you could probably use this technique on other drone types that don't allow two controllers to be connected in parallel.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS