DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Return to controller function

jdpac

Reactions
Hello, I’ve been using my iPhone to fly my MPP but I just purchased an iPad Mini 4 WiFi & cellular. I don’t want to have a cellular plan on it because I’ll often by flying where there is no cell service anyway flying it from a boat (sometimes anchored but sometimes drifting). My question is:

Will the gps in my mini 4 allow me to change my home point to where the controller is if we drifted location or do I have to have cellular service active for that to work? I can fly it back manually and land it but just in case I lose track of it and can’t getvit back I want to have the ability to return to controller. I really appreciate any input. (I have not tried RTC with my phone either and can certainly test it on land in an area out of range of a cell tower to see if it does work but I wanted to ask first)

(Yes I’m fairly new to drones but learning as much as I can. I just can’t find this answer with many different searches).

Will the gps in my mini 4 allow me to change my home point to where the controller is if we drifted location or do I have to have cellular service active for that to work? I can fly it back manually and land it but just in case I lose track of it and can’t getvit back I want to have the ability to return to controller. I really appreciate any input. (I have not tried RTC with my phone either and can certainly test it on land in an area out of range of a cell tower to see if it does work but I wanted to ask first)
First up, Apple confuses a lot of people by only putting a GPS receiver in cell-capable iPads but the GPS in your iPad works without cell service.
Cell service has nothing to do with GPS which comes direct from GPS satellites.

2nd. What you are asking about was discussed here earlier this week:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beluga