DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Return to Home collision question

The Mavic manual only mentions that Smart RTH can be cancelled with the pause button.

Ahh correct, I read it wrong. As mentioned by Kilrah, if you want to cancel Low Battery-RTH, you have to press the RTH button on the RC. So if the OP would have pressed the RTH button on the RC, it should have canceled the RTH and he would have been able to maneuver it away from the house.

Thanks for all of the input, it is hugely helpful in understanding why the Mavic behaved the way that it did! You're correct, I did not notice the notification on the display that auto RTH was about to initiate. I was looking at the Mavic and about to fly it to the final landing destination with the sticks, and unfortunately my volume was down on the phone. It was simple inexperience rearing its head, but the valuable lessons learned here will not be forgotten. Ironically, the functions meant to protect the craft were accomplices in "the incident". Now that I more clearly know what to expect, there won't be a repeat performance.

Can you post a pic of the back of the gimbal?

If your gimbal slid out, it will hide the tab.

If this is the case, you need to carefully slide the front tabs OUT over the stops, then slide the back down, and then stick the fronts back in

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Attachments

• IMG_0970.jpg
    IMG_0970.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 76
And this is why I have bought this for £27.I am sure it will fly totally different from the mavic but it will give me the basic stick skills required.I am waiting for my mavic anyway so I will use it as a tool to learn.
10d5x0y.jpg

Scott

A wise move, and I bought something similar (long history of RC vehicles, in general). I have a good handle on the flight characteristics, but familiarity with the nuances of the intelligent features and settings in the app are taking longer to soak in. Before my shipment arrived, I watched a few in-depth tutorials of the DJi Go app, and I read through the manual. While that all helps, nothing substitutes real world experience (at least, for me).

Enjoy buzzing that little quad around!

Last edited:
Also, I would like to thank the group for very a constructive, thoughtful, and insightful discussion. You're putting yourself out there when you post about something going wrong (especially a crash of a hard-to-get drone) where user error was involved, and I was prepared for a rash of comments around my stupidity or that I should not even be allowed to own a Mavic. Instead, I'm very happy that it played (is playing) out in a more utopian, community-like fashion where the members support and teach one another. It's much safer to remain silent and deal with the issue on your own, but then nobody else learns from the pains that person went through.

Thank you for being a classy, stand-up, community-driven group.

Also, I would like to thank the group for very a constructive, thoughtful, and insightful discussion. You're putting yourself out there when you post about something going wrong (especially a crash of a hard-to-get drone) where user error was involved, and I was prepared for a rash of comments around my stupidity or that I should not even be allowed to own a Mavic. Instead, I'm very happy that it played (is playing) out in a more utopian, community-like fashion where the members support and teach one another. It's much safer to remain silent and deal with the issue on your own, but then nobody else learns from the pains that person went through.

I also expected to read some unflattering comments. Nicely done everyone. With all the intelligence on-board the Mavic I would have reacted the same as the OP. Thinking this through, I probably would have had the iPhone volume UP.

Even if I have read my Phantom 3 Standard user manual a couple of times to fully understand all its functions, I am so going to do that again (the Mavic manual) when I get a Mavic. There are obviously more than enough differences to these DJI birds, and even if you are familiar with the DJI GO app, there are still enough differences in the app as well depending which bird you fly that one should really go in depth in those manuals.

Ironically, the functions meant to protect the craft were accomplices in "the incident".
That's unfortunately more and more common in many fields today with the advent of an increasing number of automated features and safety systems. The automated thing can only work in certain scenarios, and when it doesn't it's more complicated to understand its behavior and deal with it than it would have been to deal with the original scenario it kicked in to try and handle.

Terrific informative responses by msinger and others. Learnt a great deal. Thank you (A Mavic Pro owner yet to receive a Mavic Pro!).

Reactions: bruceC
And this is why I have bought this for £27.I am sure it will fly totally different from the mavic but it will give me the basic stick skills required.I am waiting for my mavic anyway so I will use it as a tool to learn.
10d5x0y.jpg

Scott

LOL I have one of those Syma baby drones with 7 batteries as well as my big DJI P3, and LOVE it.

If you can fly that thing and keep it stabilized in your living room you will have no problem with a big drone.

Really that thing is challenging - teaches orientation and controls - and I can fly it without sweating if I lose it..

Yep! The gimbal should be on the other side of the limiting tab! Pull the front out first, and slid the back in under the tab and then pop the front back in

Can you post a pic of the back of the gimbal?

If your gimbal slid out, it will hide the tab.

If this is the case, you need to carefully slide the front tabs OUT over the stops, then slide the back down, and then stick the fronts back in

The back tab didn't break off, you just can't see it. Your gimbal is covering it and it needs to be beneath the tab not above it.

I'm telling you, pull the front two tabs gently over the body, that should give the angle and space to slide the back under the tab. Once under then pop the fronts back in.

Gimbal calibration and viola! Done deal!

Hi all - I'd like to add my experience here with the RTH. Earlier today I was flying and decided to test the RTH functionality as I saw it was different on the Mavic than the Phantom series (as per the manuals on Mavic, P3P, P4 and P4P).

At 370 ft altitude but less than 50 ft horizontal distance I engaged the RTH via the app and noticed my drone started descending straight down and not moving to the home point. I was able to cancel the RTH at about 60 ft and try it again but it again started descending straight down. About 40 ft horizontal distance from the recorded home point. I had stick control and could guide it as it was coming down. I was also able to throttle up and gain few feet but as son as I let go it kept descending straight down.

Looking at all the manuals this behavior is in line with the Phantom manual where it says that if you are within 20M or 65 ft it'll descend straight down and not return to the home point.

I then tested this on the sim and got the same results. Activating within the 65 ft horizontal distance resulted in a straight descent, regardless of altitude at which it was engaged.

I understand the Mavic manual says something different when Failsafe is enageged within the range of 5 M to 20 M in which it should go home at or above 10M altitude depending on the height at which it was engaged. But I'm not seeing this. Can anyone else confirm with a test or the sim if you are seeing the same? Hopefully it's just me that i have an incorrect setting.

Thanks for your help.

J

Last edited:
Reactions: mig25
I then tested this on the sim and got the same results. Activating within the 65 ft horizontal distance resulted in a straight descent, regardless of altitude at which it was engaged.
I.e. you also tested when below 10m?

I understand the Mavic manual says something different when Failsafe is enageged within the range of 5 M to 20 M in which it should go home at or above 10M altitude depending on the height at which it was engaged.
If forward vision system is activated.

"The aircraft will start landing immediately if forward vision system is deactivated".

I.e. you also tested when below 10m?

If forward vision system is activated.

"The aircraft will start landing immediately if forward vision system is deactivated".

I did test on the sim below 10 M. The aircraft would descend immediately regardless of altitude if inside the 20 M radius.

I did have vision system enabled as far as I know. Unless it deactivated somehow during that period but checking the settings now and I still see it enabled.

I did test on the sim below 10 M. The aircraft would descend immediately regardless of altitude if inside the 20 M radius.

I did have vision system enabled as far as I know. Unless it deactivated somehow during that period but checking the settings now and I still see it enabled.

Hi Jorge, were you able to find the cause of that behavior? I haven't tested but just red the topic and I am now interested in what was causing it.

Thanks!!!

Question I'm looking at the photo of your house. Did it crash into a shaded side of your house? Vision sensors may have a problem with shade. Let me know. Glad your mavic is ok to fly again. We all learned something here again. Thank you for your time in posting your issue.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan