DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Return to Home

Kentinportland

Reactions
Hello everyone. I’m both a brand new Mavic Pro owner and a new drone pilot. I believe, thanks to the forum, that I understand the RTH settings and and what the drone will do (5 meters, 5-20 meters, >20 meters from homepoint, and setting the RTH altitude and actions, etc.) except for one thing.

It is necessary to immediately climb to 10 meters or above after takeoff for RTH to work? The manual seems to imply that you must immediately vertically ascend to 10 meters or above, but verification from experienced pilots would be comforting.

Thanks in advance.

Kent

My understanding is that you need to pause so that the MP can photo the home point to allow later accurate landing

I too believe the 10m rule has to to with precision landing and not RTH itself. It will still RTH if you don't pause directly above the takeoff point during takeoff, but it might not land exactly on the takeoff spot.

You got it Dan. As soon as you hear 'home point has been set' you can go, RTH will bring you back close enough.
Precision take-off, to gain a precision landing, yes, the AC goes to 16 ft or something and 'records' its landing spot, (if it has enough contrast and light).
On return, the AC should land within cm's of TO.

IMHO you need to evaluate each and every flight to determine RTH height and precision landing and what to do on a lost signal
If you are flying where an obstruction may be lower than your set RTH you may want to lower it OR if you fly in an area with hills or trees you may want to raise it.
When I fly out of my back yard it has a pretty narrow window and I want to know it will at least center itself over the landing area.
I am lucky, the majority of my flying is desert and overhead obstructions are nonexistent. Unless I am feeling lazy I usually fly it home and land.
IBM had a Mantra THINK
Handle your worst case and the rest is a piece of cake.

Sorry for the newbie question. I have yet to try the RTH feature. But I always set the home point before I fly. Just to reiterate that this function should be used if somehow you lose signal and disconnect from AC? and it will immediately fly back to home point when you hit RTH button?

You got it Dan. As soon as you hear 'home point has been set' you can go, RTH will bring you back close enough.
Precision take-off, to gain a precision landing, yes, the AC goes to 16 ft or something and 'records' its landing spot, (if it has enough contrast and light).
On return, the AC should land within cm's of TO.
ri

Sorry for the newbie question. I have yet to try the RTH feature. But I always set the home point before I fly. Just to reiterate that this function should be used if somehow you lose signal and disconnect from AC? and it will immediately fly back to home point when you hit RTH button?

the RTH feature will work without you having to do anything ,if (a) the battery remaining charge is only enough to get back home from where the drone is .(b) if the drone becomes disconnected from the controller ,not the display device. the RTH button allows you to choose to do a RTH and can be useful if you loose visual line of sight it will bring it back and once you see it again you can stop the function and continue your flight.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll