DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Richmond Park Flying Field London (UK) ...is it allowed to fly?

Alchemist101

Reactions
HI All, I noticed that Richmond Park has a dedicated area for drone flying "Richmond Park Flying Field" see web site drone rules: Flying drones in Richmond Park

...but I noticed that from the app "Drone Assist" or also from No Fly Zone web site this area is classified as "High Risk" (regulated airspace, near schools, increased aerial activities).

This make me confuse, is allowed flying with a drone? Or Not???

Thank you.

There are 2 sets of laws here. The first is the park rules, and as you note, flying is OK on that one field, although you probably wouldn't get into too much trouble if you took off from there, and then occasionally 'strayed' into other areas whilst in flight.

But then there's the general airspace laws, and all of Richmond Park is London Heathrow CTR airspace Surface to 2500 ft, but that doesn't mean you can't fly there. you just have to be under 400 ft, within VLoS, and satisfied that the flight can be safely made. If you were over 7 Kg you'd have to contact the control tower every time, but that doesn't apply (or at least is advisory / voluntary) if you are under that weight. So yep, I think you are good to go there. Even so, I would print out a copy of the parks drone policy to wave at Police should they try and stop you...

There are 2 sets of laws here. The first is the park rules, and as you note, flying is OK on that one field, although you probably wouldn't get into too much trouble if you took off from there, and then occasionally 'strayed' into other areas whilst in flight.

But then there's the general airspace laws, and all of Richmond Park is London Heathrow CTR airspace Surface to 2500 ft, but that doesn't mean you can't fly there. you just have to be under 400 ft, within VLoS, and satisfied that the flight can be safely made. If you were over 7 Kg you'd have to contact the control tower every time, but that doesn't apply (or at least is advisory / voluntary) if you are under that weight. So yep, I think you are good to go there. Even so, I would print out a copy of the parks drone policy to wave at Police should they try and stop you...
Thank you for your reply, I'm planning to fly tomorrow (or maybe Sunday) is my first flight with my first drone DJI Mavic Pro and I don't want strange surprises with any fly restriction. Thank you again.

Police will leave you alone as long as you are in the designated flying field. It's only a short walk from the car park.
DONT fly too close to any dear, they will be on you for that.

Reactions: Alchemist101
Hi Alchemist
I live in Chiswick so not far from Richmond. How didn’t you get on today? Did you go to Richmond Park? Were you hassled?

So if i do an active track on the deer and they are so disbursed how will the police find you? You

Hey guys, very useful thread... great advice. I’m looking for a place near me so Richland park may be good. Just want to get some flight time in and some practice so could be a great spot. Cheers... anywhere else in a-lindonish area that anyone knows about?
Cheers
Jase

Hi JK
I’m thinking of heading there tomorrow morning about sunrise. I mighty see you there,
JC

****... working tomorrow but will shout when I go... I knew I shoulda taken this week off, lol!!
Still, at least it gives me time to get it all set up. Haven’t even turned it on yet... just charged everything today.
Cheers
JK

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure