DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RID Module Help

Cameronjames_dec

Reactions
Hey everyone,

I'm new here and am currently taking a part 107 course. I am the owner of a Mavic mini drone, which doesn't have RID. I am looking for recommendations of RID modules for this drone.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Cafguy
In the US, your mavic mini used for recreational doesn't need remote ID until you start using it for commercial work. At that point, you may want to look at the Holy Stone module.

Reactions: twickers14
If it’s the mini 1, I wouldn’t bother with adding weight of rid. It’s just not powerful enough so flight time reduced. Think you’ll end up upgrading anyway and most have rid built in now. Being commercial, drone weight won’t matter so one of the smallish Air 2/3 models will serve you well, even in winds the mini’s just can’t handle. And used or refurbished won’t break the bank.

Reactions: twickers14
If it’s the mini 1, I wouldn’t bother with adding weight of rid. It’s just not powerful enough so flight time reduced. Think you’ll end up upgrading anyway and most have rid built in now. Being commercial, drone weight won’t matter so one of the smallish Air 2/3 models will serve you well, even in winds the mini’s just can’t handle. And used or refurbished won’t break the bank.
Hey there, It is the mini 1. I work for a resort, and just happen to own a mavic mini. I do not currently have the ability to upgrade the drone at this time.

Reactions: Cafguy
Hey there, It is the mini 1. I work for a resort, and just happen to own a mavic mini. I do not currently have the ability to upgrade the drone at this time.
Understand, Holy Stone is small and affordable, mounts available from AerialPixel. Not sure of best mounting location on a mini, I use mine on a big ol Phantom P4P. Best of luck on your new adventure.

I purchased a Holy Stone Remote ID module and mounted it on my Mavic 2 Enterprise (Zoom) with an Aerial Pixel mount.
Aerial Pixel also has a mount for your Mavic Mini and it mounts on top of the battery.
I feel the mount is well made for my M2E, so the quality should be similar for your Mavic Mini.

Use this link for the lower cost Holy Stone Module as they were using this link on Amazon as a sort of hidden lower cost option for their customers. I purchased from this link for one of my modules and it is the correct RID module.

How are your soldering skills?- DroneTag has a Tiny internal that weighs next to nothing Its called the DroneTag BS Model.

Reactions: Capt KO
@Cameronjames_dec ..I too still have a Mavic Mini 1 and have no plans to buy a new drone (it will cost about US$1,000). I just went ahead and got my FAA107 license. So, if I use my Mini 1 for non-recreational purposes, I will also need to add a RID module. Agree with others that the HolyStone RID module looks to be the best (about $90). Not worried if my bird shows up on other drone finder apps. Just want to be legal.

How are your soldering skills?- DroneTag has a Tiny internal that weighs next to nothing Its called the DroneTag BS Model.

Are there instructions as to how to hard-wire the DroneTag module to a drone's power supply?

@Cameronjames_dec ..I too still have a Mavic Mini 1 and have no plans to buy a new drone (it will cost about US$1,000). I just went ahead and got my FAA107 license. So, if I use my Mini 1 for non-recreational purposes, I will also need to add a RID module. Agree with others that the HolyStone RID module looks to be the best (about $90). Not worried if my bird shows up on other drone finder apps. Just want to be legal.

I too have 2 mini 1s. Like you wanted to be legal and got my infomation from FAA one they suggested Drontag. I read watched and saw a couple of Videos by Ken Herron. I chose DRONETAG Beacon. It’s WiFi type. I paid $200 at the time. Ken Herron liked it. It does show up on app called drone scanner and in Drone tag app. Easy to set up on phone or tablet. I use IOS. Hope this Help
Keep you Props up and your landing gear down
Tally-Ho
Doc Lemieux

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas