DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Right Antenna - whats it for?

mavicn00b

Reactions
Hi guys
While flying my drone and adjusting my position/antenna when i send the bird out, I found if I cover the antenna, the signal dies, however if I cover the right hand antenna, no change. Both Video and RC feed remain the same.

So what gives? Whats it for exactly?

Reactions: sonof40
I have always thought, keep in mind this is my unproved theory, one antenna is sending signal forward, and another one sending signal backward(to the back of operator).

I have always thought, keep in mind this is my unproved theory, one antenna is sending signal forward, and another one sending signal backward(to the back of operator).

/
I thought so too, but i tried in various orientations blocking it with my hand and no change. Blocking the left hand aerial on the other hand was an instant cut in video/RC signal. So whats the right hand aerial for? Decoration? Surely Not?

Maybe the left antenna for transmitting and the right is for receiving. This can be checked by looking at .DAT file and displaying the RC:sigStrength signal.

But surely covering the right antenna would result in signal degradation of some sort? I see no loss in feed, no loss in RC, no change in control (im actually full stick forward when I test). The left antenna however right away things go pear shaped as soon as I block it with my hand...

Hmmm...just purchased a sun screen for my Mavic, it connects by sliding over the antennas......will this mess things up?

Its the genuine DJI Sun Hood.

Reactions: CC Rider
Two antenna are used for "Diversity". They both send and receive signals at the same time. The Remote Controller looks at the signal strength of both antennas and selects the one with the stronger signal. Signals coming from the Mavic change drastically when the Mavic moves through the air due to reflections from objects. Since there is a difference in the location of both antennas, one antenna may have a strong signal and the other a weak signal due to cancellation of the direct path signal by the reflected signal. This is called "Multipath Fading".
Also, two antenna separated by the correct distance can improve the performance in one direction, "Gain".
Google "Antenna Diversity".
Lee Snook; RF Engineer

No im afraid this doesn't answer the question. Ive done this many a time covered the left antenna then lost signal then, uncover the left antenna and cover the right one and still have full control with no loss of bars. its like the right ant has no Tx power at all.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111