DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Right before the Part 107 test...

MKurr

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
I took the Pilot Institute course, and am now at the point where I can take the "practice test".

How do you recommend I prepare for the test itself now that all I have to do is refresh my memory, more practice tests?

There are several free practice tests. I suggest to take them ALL. With each one make a note of which questions you missed to highlight the holes in your knowledge. So take one practice test, then study the parts that you missed, then take another. Rinse and repeat until you're comfortable. With each test you'll start seeing some of the same questions again and again- some being quite inane and specific to the FAA study guide itself. In likelihood you'll see those same dumb questions on the real test looking for a specific answer when all three possible answer are reasonable. Having some of those silly questions nailed down will give you a bit more overhead for the tougher questions.

There are several free practice tests. I suggest to take them ALL. With each one make a note of which questions you missed to highlight the holes in your knowledge. So take one practice test, then study the parts that you missed, then take another. Rinse and repeat until you're comfortable. With each test you'll start seeing some of the same questions again and again- some being quite inane and specific to the FAA study guide itself. In likelihood you'll see those same dumb questions on the real test looking for a specific answer when all three possible answer are reasonable. Having some of those silly questions nailed down will give you a bit more overhead for the tougher questions.
Thanks for the advice!
Is there a list of free practice tests or should I just find them one by one?

Thanks for the advice!
Is there a list of free practice tests or should I just find them one by one?
I'll see if I can find my study guide materials and test links. I took the test on Oct 1st... Not so long ago, but long enough that I have to dig for my stuff.

In the meantime there are a coups apps you cand download. 1) Pilot Institute. It's got a question and answer thing, though not a practice test. 2) Prepware. I think it costs something like $5. It was the first practice test I took.

Here are some links. These should keep you busy. Again, take one at a time, noting where you need knowledge strengthening. Study those areas, then take the next and so on.

It is obvious that you will need to become skilled at reading air sectional maps. That's a given and on some tests can have more questions than on others. Next, really focus on weather conditions. Become skilled at reading both METAR and TAF. I didn't focus on TAF that much and got *SIX* TAF questions (no METAR)! Also, don't ignore the fixed aircraft stuff, landing approaches, runway indications, loading, wind shear, stalling and angle of attack, etc. I got a whopping dose of fixed aircraft questions on my test. Interestingly, I got less of the sectional reading than I expected, which was what I prepared the most for. For sure you'll have questions about airspace. I'm sure you'll do fine.

When is your test?

Good luck.

Last edited:
Prepware Remote Pilot App on your phone. Great little app, and costs about $5.

I'll see if I can find my study guide materials and test links. I took the test on Oct 1st... Not so long ago, but long enough that I have to dig for my stuff.

In the meantime there are a coups apps you cand download. 1) Pilot Institute. It's got a question and answer thing, though not a practice test. 2) Prepware. I think it costs something like $5. It was the first practice test I took.

Here are some links. These should keep you busy. Again, take one at a time, noting where you need knowledge strengthening. Study those areas, then take the next and so on.

It is obvious that you will need to become skilled at reading air sectional maps. That's a given and on some tests can have more questions than on others. Next, really focus on weather conditions. Become skilled at reading both METAR and TAF. I didn't focus on TAF that much and got *SIX* TAF questions (no METAR)! Also, don't ignore the fixed aircraft stuff, landing approaches, runway indications, loading, wind shear, stalling and angle of attack, etc. I got a whopping dose of fixed aircraft questions on my test. Interestingly, I got less of the sectional reading than I expected, which was what I prepared the most for. For sure you'll have questions about airspace. I'm sure you'll do fine.

When is your test?

Good luck.
Thanks for all the information, the test is scheduled for tomorrow...

They'll give you the legend for a sectional chart near the front of the booklet of maps and charts you'll get with the exam. So there's no need to memorize all the details from the legend, like whether it's cyan or magenta shading that means controlled airspace begins at 700 or 1200 ft. Use the legend they give you to look up those details as needed.

Don't rush. Good luck!

I took the Pilot Institute course, and am now at the point where I can take the "practice test".

How do you recommend I prepare for the test itself now that all I have to do is refresh my memory, more practice tests?
I was surprised at some of the questions. I took an online course, listened to a couple of other sources with supplemental lessons, and worked through three different practice tests multiple times. But after all of that there were still 5 questions that stumped me.

I was surprised at some of the questions. I took an online course, listened to a couple of other sources with supplemental lessons, and worked through three different practice tests multiple times. But after all of that there were still 5 questions that stumped me.
Hmmm, well, the test is tomorrow...

Anyone have any last minute ideas?

Hmmm, well, the test is tomorrow...

Anyone have any last minute ideas?
Write down the questions that stump you and start with a Google search to see if the answers come up. If you’ve gotten any answers wrong in the practice tests write them down and focus on studying those. Sometimes the questions are kind of inane and sometimes they’re looking for an answer straight out of the FAA study guide verbatim.

Or, you could post the questions here to see if anyone on the forum can make sense of them.

Reactions: MKurr
Write down the questions that stump you and start with a Google search to see if the answers come up. If you’ve gotten any answers wrong in the practice tests write them down and focus on studying those. Sometimes the questions are kind of inane and sometimes they’re looking for an answer straight out of the FAA study guide verbatim.

Or, you could post the questions here to see if anyone on the forum can make sense of them.
I passed today!
And am now in the midst of applying for the certificate...

1612825708099.png
So at the begining of the application it asks me for the Airman Certificate Number, is that the "exam ID" from the exam?

Last edited:
I passed today!
And am now in the midst of applying for the certificate...

View attachment 123502
So at the begining of the application it asks me for the Airman Certificate Number, is that the "exam ID" from the exam?
Congratulations on passing!!!

That "Certificate Information" section is for someone who has previously held some form of FAA airman's certificate. If this is your first pilot's license, leave it blank. Either way, you'll be prompted for the exam number later.

Reactions: MKurr
Congratulations on passing!!!

That "Certificate Information" section is for someone who has previously held some form of FAA airman's certificate. If this is your first pilot's license, leave it blank. Either way, you'll be prompted for the exam number later.
Thanks!
Also there is this strange question:
1612826540118.png
First they tell me that they need to release my address, then they ask me if I want them to release it...

Thanks!
Also there is this strange question:
View attachment 123503
First they tell me that they need to release my address, then they ask me if I want them to release it...
I don't know what you should do, but I went through this about two weeks ago, and I left the "Allow my address to be released" button checked. I got my temporary certificate a week later. I may soon start receiving junk mail, I suppose.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead