DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Roll back to previous version?

BrianA

Reactions
OK. I've waited and read through all of the version update and the updates to the update to fix the compass issue. So, before I update, I would like some help on how to save the current firmware version in case I want to go back to it if something doesn't go right. Any instruction on this would be very much appreciated.

OK. I've waited and read through all of the version update and the updates to the update to fix the compass issue. So, before I update, I would like some help on how to save the current firmware version in case I want to go back to it if something doesn't go right. Any instruction on this would be very much appreciated.
To be honest, I'm not even sure if that's possible.

Is it not a feature of the relevant version of the Assistant 2 computer software?

Try installing the appropriate Assistant 2 then connect your drone in accordance with the instructions.
When I have used the Assistant 2 for mavics (Mavic 2 Pro and possibly the MAvic Mini) and looked at the update section. I saw the installed version and the possibly updates and, certainly for the Mavic 2 Pro, the possible roll back versions. At no point, whilst looking at that information, was actually updating the firmware required.
I would be somewhat surprised if the Mini 2 was different though I think you must use the FPV version of the Assistant 2.

... I think you must use the FPV version of the Assistant 2.
No ... that version is only for the DJI FPV drone, DJI Air units & DJI FPV googles.

...how to save the current firmware version in case I want to go back to it ...
It's not possible to do a backup of a drone firmware ... if something goes wrong you can always chose to flash over another version instead though... as long as DJI doesn't decide to include a anti-rollback.

Go here & download the correct DJI Assistant 2 version for the Mini 2 --> DJI Mini 2 - Downloads - DJI

Under the "Firmware Update" section you can chose what ever version you want ... from the release notes it doesn't seem as DJI have put in any anti-rollback function yet (release notes here --> https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI_Mini_2/20210616/DJI_Mini_2_Release_Notes_EN.pdf )

And ...

Just to have it said (as many mix up drone firmware with app version) ... IF you mean change the app version instead of firmware, then yeah, you can downgrade if you can find the older installation file somewhere on WWW. Backups, yeah sort of possible but only if you have a rooted Android or a Jail breaked iOS. There is numerous of phone apps that will backup both apps & appdata so you can go back with both the app & all the settings.

No ... that version is only for the DJI FPV drone, DJI Air units & DJI FPV googles.

It's not possible to do a backup of a drone firmware ... if something goes wrong you can always chose to flash over another version instead though... as long as DJI doesn't decide to include a anti-rollback.

Go here & download the correct DJI Assistant 2 version for the Mini 2 --> DJI Mini 2 - Downloads - DJI

Under the "Firmware Update" section you can chose what ever version you want ... from the release notes it doesn't seem as DJI have put in any anti-rollback function yet (release notes here --> https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI_Mini_2/20210616/DJI_Mini_2_Release_Notes_EN.pdf )

And ...

Just to have it said (as many mix up drone firmware with app version) ... IF you mean change the app version instead of firmware, then yeah, you can downgrade if you can find the older installation file somewhere on WWW. Backups, yeah sort of possible but only if you have a rooted Android or a Jail breaked iOS. There is numerous of phone apps that will backup both apps & appdata so you can go back with both the app & all the settings.
Sorry, I was referring to the app version, not firmware. I got my tech terms mixed up. I'm fairly new to the DJI world and it seems drone makers differ in what they do for app updates. I will try backing up current and updating and see what happens.

Ahh with regards to app versions, if you are using Android then the answer is fairly simple.
For most, if not all, versions you do not need to save the old app, you reinstall the old version using an downloaded APK file, see the likes of DJI Fly APKs - APKMirror

BUT what I would suggest is that you back up the App's FlightRecord folder to your computer before you unistall the app.
The uninstall leaves the old app's data storage file system behind, in the folder dji.go,v5. Delete that folder then install the desired version using the APK.
When that is installed and you are logged in etc. fly a flight and then copy the previously backed up logs back into their respective folders on the phone.

When I tested the 1.2 versions of the App with a Mavic Mini, I did not like them so, using the above method, I went back to a previous version of the App although I did not restore the logs recorded under 1.2.* to the phone.
I think you need 1.2 or later for the Mini 2.

I am not certain of the situation if you are using an Apple device.

Attachments

• 04 Fly app path to mini flight logs.png
    04 Fly app path to mini flight logs.png
    102 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:
I asked DJI for a link to my current version in case 1.4.12-XXXX is broken; they provided a link and password.
I have to wonder about third party sites, especially when we see DJI release three versions of 1.4.12 yet the mirror only has one unspecified version (not unlike DJI, lol). The 1.4.8 version they are hosting is not the same as my 1.4.8 official version.

I prefer to go to the source; I guess it's a buyer beware thing.

Backups, yeah sort of possible but only if you have a rooted Android or a Jail breaked iOS.
Actually, downloaded Android apps can be backed up without root but normally not 'system' apps - the ones that come pre-loaded on the phone.

I use MyBackup Pro, and before I upgrade any app, I use that to backup the APK of the current version... saved me a lot of hassle more than once

Actually, downloaded Android apps can be backed up without root...
Yeah ... app only, but not if you want all your in-app settings also (called appdata), for that you need root or jailbreak.

You can get a copy of the app off an Android device without having root access. If you search on the playstore for 'apk extractor' and choose one. I cannot recommend any specific app but on a few occasions I've just installed one that looked good and had positive reviews from users who sound like they know what they are talking about. Every time they have worked perfectly. If it is really important to you it may be prudent to install more than one and make a few apk's (the whole process - download extractor - extract apk - uninstall extractor takes moments). The problem you have is that unless you have another device you can install the apk on so you know it works you have no way of checking as if it is corrupted you risk damaging the version of the DJI app you want to keep.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boatdoc