DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH best setting?

It's easy to fly up the side of a mountain while only being 60 feet AGL during the whole flight. What happens if my RTH setting is set to 30 meters (98.4 feet) and actually you're 1000' up (above your takeoff point) on the side of a mountain and you activate RTH? I've always thought it would fly up to the set return to home value (in this case set to 30 meters) so my quad would rise to 98 feet and come home at 1098' above my takeoff point. Correct? I've been up the side of a mountain to 1000' and never had the guts to use the RTH feature, but in an emergency I'd like to know what's gonna happen.

Before I unpack my mavic, I check for flying risks and I make an estimate of the height of objects relative to my take off position and set that as my RTH height. I tend to forget those things once I'm unpacking, so I do it first.

When I lift off I will climb up to the RTH altitude, level the camera and do a quick 360 to check for any problems. If necessary I will make adjustments. When I first got my mavic I was very cautious and initially I set it too high. I soon realised that it takes forever to RTH at 70m when the tallest object is 15m.

What about altitude setting for RTH?

Reactions: Gavinwr27
I concur with 50 meters or 168.5 ft. Its plenty low enough to remain legal safely out of the winds aloft and plenty high enough to avoid any obstacle with the possible exception of skyscrapers in which case I would choose 100 meters but be wary of higher winds at 337 ft.

I have read that if RTH is activated while the drone is higher than the setting, it will remain at the higher altitude for the return trip and will not descend until it is landing. .

Reactions: Simmo
I have read that if RTH is activated while the drone is higher than the setting, it will remain at the higher altitude for the return trip and will not descend until it is landing. .

Thanks wasn't sure if it would go up the amount set for the RTH. Kinda hard to stay below 400' if you're past that on the side of a hill.

I generally rth at 400 ft agl, if I’ve lost video feed I like to know I’m definitely not going to be hitting anything.

Drone only knows the height above the elevation it took off from, unless you have two altimeters you really can’t detect any errors.
Even aircraft can have errors when passing within 500 ft of separation ie: ifr and vfr aircraft. They only need to be one hp out on their qnh and that’s equivalent to 60 ft.
I’ve come into land at airfields and have past kites being flown by kids in the neighbouring park, as a pilot, I’m not worried about a little drone

Now that’s one of the better ideas I have gleaned from this forum
(The climb and rotate idea). Thanks,

Before I unpack my mavic, I check for flying risks and I make an estimate of the height of objects relative to my take off position and set that as my RTH height. I tend to forget those things once I'm unpacking, so I do it first.

When I lift off I will climb up to the RTH altitude, level the camera and do a quick 360 to check for any problems. If necessary I will make adjustments. When I first got my mavic I was very cautious and initially I set it too high. I soon realised that it takes forever to RTH at 70m when the tallest object is 15m.

So probably someone here needs an in-home math tutoring services to improve his math and perform such complex calculations :D
But why do you need to convert from feet? in my firmware, I don't have feet.
And yes, I agree that the best one will be the correct home point :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf