DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH best setting?

Higher than surrounding structures/trees etc.Where I fly, I generally have it set to 30 mtrs.

30 mtrs. = 100 Feet..... I wonder if that is high enough to clear houses and trees in the city?

Whats the best setting for RTH?
I say that obviously it needs to be set higher than the tallest thing that may be in the flight path. Remember that the Mavic does not follow the path it took to RTH, it will make a straight line from where it is located to the RTH coordinates. If you flew behind a 100ft tree, then RTH needs to be higher than that. It may be tempting to just set it to max altitude, but the winds can get significantly stronger at altitude and prevent the MP from making progress against the wind. So I set it as a pre-flight step after looking around the area.

30 mtrs. = 100 Feet..... I wonder if that is high enough to clear houses and trees in the city?
I hope your not flying in the city with out clearance, it will give us a black eye but if you are 200 up for me.

30 mtrs is really the bare minimum since Oak trees can reach 80 feet tall and a few others even taller. I set my RTH at 50 mtrs to be sure. Also, not sure how accurate the altitude sensors are

30 mtrs is really the bare minimum since Oak trees can reach 80 feet tall and a few others even taller. I set my RTH at 50 mtrs to be sure. Also, not sure how accurate the altitude sensors are
I disagree. The height should be set to your local surroundings. There are no Oak trees where I fly. In the desert my RTH alt. is 10 mtrs. No point going to heaven if you are coming back to earth anyway..

The height should be set to your local surroundings

IMHO there is no one setting, you have to factor in your terrain for each flight. Where have you flown since your takeoff. In your flying you may have gone around an obstacle to get to your turnaround point. Going high may introduce higher than expected wind speed for your return trip. Iffin it is a tail wind, great if it is a head wind you may not make it back. LOTS of things to think about.

The correct RTH setting depends on the flight. If flying under trees, set it to hover. If not set it to return. If not sure how tall an object is, fly over to it, get it's height, and set RTH higher. I can't think of an instance where you would set it to land where it is. A few things about RTH to keep in mind:
• The location and height is based on your takeoff point. Make sure it is set correctly before leaving the takeoff area.
• Automatic low battery RTH is only an estimate of power needed to return and does not take wind direction into account.
• Normal RTH speed might be slower than a headwind, in which case the Mavic will fly until low battery forces it to land.
• If you still have connection to the RC, ensure that the distance is decreasing. If not it is most likely to be fighting a headwind. Sport mode or a change in altitude may correct.
• RTH only works if the Mavic has good GPS reception. If flying in a canyon or between buildings you may lose GPS.

Of course, if you keep it in sight you will be less dependent on RTH to get it back.

Reactions: Marples
I wish the units would switch to imperial with the speed and distance. I can calculate metric to imperial, but imperial is easier for Americans to visualize. From RTH altitude to max distance and max height, they should all have imperial measurements when the interface is switched to imperial.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Just multiply times 3 to go to feet from meters. That will give you a little extra as it is actually 3.14 I Think. Also if you take odd in a valley and you fly over an area that is higher than takeoff area, you calculate from the launch point. We have tall Carolina Pine Trees that can reall present a problem,so higher is better as if the MAVIC is in the tree that high, no way to retrieve

I wish drones could be really accurate and repeatable when it comes to altitude.

I know the height of the tallest trees in my area, but how much safety margin to add? Thirty feet? Fifty? A hundred?

Just multiply times 3 to go to feet from meters. That will give you a little extra as it is actually 3.14 I Think. Also if you take odd in a valley and you fly over an area that is higher than takeoff area, you calculate from the launch point. We have tall Carolina Pine Trees that can reall present a problem,so higher is better as if the MAVIC is in the tree that high, no way to retrieve
3.37 feet = 1 meter. :)Thumbswayup

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones