DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH controller "weak GPS signal" error

Wryandry

Reactions
So I have seen a lot of posts WRT this "weak GPS signal" error using Apple products but I am having this exact same issue with Android:

As of 07/06/2020

DJI Mavic 2 Zoom, latest DJI GO 4 app and all updated firmware.
Samsung Galaxy S8 with latest OS/firmware.
Installed GPS status app on the phone just to check satellite connection and GPS status on the phone.
Ensured location is enabled on the phone and set to high accuracy (uses Bluetooth and WiFi a well as GPS signal for higher accuracy)

Standard RTH (from launch location) works perfectly every time but RTH to controller throws the ""weak GPS signal" error every time. Tried the unplugging micro USB lead at the controller workaround which does not work for me.

To be clear, the S8 has solid satellite connection with 12 or more satellites locked and lat/long of the phone acquired, despite this the controller disputes this fact with the "weak GPS signal" error so this has to be an error in the DJI app or firmware.

Really frustrated that I can't get the Mavic to return to the controller location rather than the launch home point, mainly because I am a sailor and want to fly from the boat to get sailing footage, RTH to launch point would be disastrous on a moving sailboat.

Anyone else having this issue on Android devices with DJI GO 4? Any working workarounds/fixes?

When is DJI going to deliver an update that allows this critical piece of functionality to work?

Reactions: Mr Shamrok
Could it be that one of the USB communication protocols is blocking the transmission of GPS data to the controller?
I am curious how do you know how many satellites the S8 is locked too? I wouldn't mind being able to do that on my phone.

I believe the "weak gps signal" message relates to the gps in the AC, the AC's position

Are you flying in areas that may block the gps signal to the AC e.g. metro areas with tall buildings, inside canyons and heavily wooded

I believe the "weak gps signal" message relates to the gps in the AC, the AC's position

The explanation given by the OP makes it pretty clear that he's talking about this message:
IMG_20200707_142846.jpg
Not this one:
Screenshot_20200707-134438a.jpg
Are you flying in areas that may block the gps signal to the AC e.g. metro areas with tall buildings, inside canyons and heavily wooded
He's already covered this in post #1.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200707-134516a.jpg
    Screenshot_20200707-134516a.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Really frustrated that I can't get the Mavic to return to the controller location rather than the launch home point, mainly because I am a sailor and want to fly from the boat to get sailing footage, RTH to launch point would be disastrous on a moving sailboat.

Anyone else having this issue on Android devices with DJI GO 4? Any working workarounds/fixes?
What you describe sounds just like the common complaint with Apple devices.
I've only rarely heard of it with Android.

When I fly from a boat, I find that resetting to the drone's current location is just as good as using the controller's current location, since you never want to let RTH land the drone for you and you'll be hand catching instead.
If the boat is sailing any distance, just make sure you reset a few times during the flight to avoid having the drone try to go back where it was launched when it calculates it only has enough battery to get back there.
Most boat flyers don't far from the boat and you can easily spot your boat on your screen to know which way to bring the drone back if you lose sight of the drone.

One possibility?
When I dis a quick test to get the screenshot I used above with device GPS disabled), I switched device GPS back on and got the same message when I tried to reset.
After closing and rebooting DJI Go4, I tried again and this time things worked.
IMG_20200707_142153.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: itsneedtokno
I’m having simular issues last few times flying my M2P
My work around is
Ground my M2P
And launch my MP1
..... yes not as fancy as the M2P
But MP1 has been very trustworthy machine
On most flight days ...
And in weather where I wouldn’t trust my M2P
MP1 is a go’er Wind, heavy Rain, not an issue

..... and would like to add when you lose signal between controller and Bird.
it’s still a trip to watch the M2P fly away trying to acquire last place it had signal then hook up
And RTH patient is the key

......cR

What you describe sounds just like the common complaint with Apple devices.
I've only rarely heard of it with Android.

I had this same issue on my Smart Controller a couple days ago. Same error message. "Weak Mobile Device GPS Signal". This was the first time I tried the Return to Controller option. Following this thread!!

Reactions: Mr Shamrok
I have the same problem, and it really pisses me off, because DJI just doesn’t care. I wrote to them more than once, but all without result. If I write there alone, this will not change the situation. I’m very pissed that we pay that kind of money , we do not get the proper quality and service. I believe that all users need to write to them, and demand from them the proper service.

I'm a newbie but I've looked into this "weak GPS signal" a bit. I use iPhone but "follow me" and dynamic RTH don't work with Apple products. Follow Me (which uses GPS instead of visual tracking) doesn't even seem to be in the latest version of DJI Go 4 for either Apple or Android. Imagine if your drone is visually tracking you on a bike ride and it loses you. You have no option for having it come to you based on your GPS position. The best solution that I've found with iPhone is using Litchi. Litchi integrates with Google Maps and shows your location based on the phone's GPS. You can manually drag the "Home" icon to your position on the map then request RTH through the app. Your lost drone will come to you. I ended up buying a used Samsung S7 just for the drone. Dynamic RTH does work on DJI Go 4 but sometimes it takes a minute or two for it to get the coordinates, displaying "weak GPS signal" until it does. Litchi on Android seems to work better with Dynamic RTH and it has "follow me" that works great.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll