DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH didn't RTH

WNYBill

Reactions
Showing off my new toy last night. Flew quite a long flight, probably 600 yards to look at a food plot. Used one light on the battery, none on the RC. Pushed the RTH button on the RC and the drone returned but landed 100 feet from the take off point. There was a <20mph wind and it landed down wind from the take off point. I am sure I did something, but what? I had moved from the take off spot but it was the opposite direction from where it landed. Mini 3 pro is new to me and in all the trial flights RHT brought it back and landed within 1-2 feet. What did I do?

What did I do?
Showing off my new toy last night.
RTH is not precise BUT is much better with light. You want more exact landings , Almost directly back to the Pad, -- make a hashtag shape out of black tape (or white depending on your substrate), on your pad, The drone will land on it everytime!!

Reactions: PixelMagic
What did I do?
Your flight log should reveal what happened.

You can upload and view your flight log online here. If you'd like others to review it, share the link here after you upload it.

Ditto msingers' suggestion but a guess would be that you flew the drone away from the takeoff point before it had sufficient GPS satellites to establish its position and the home point at the take off point.
Then, when it eventually did get enough satellites to establish its position, it was over the landing point and set the home point there.

The log would or should show whether or not that was the case.

I am sure I did something, but what?
I think I know, but we'd need to see the recorded flight data to confirm whether my idea is what happened, or if it was something else.
Your flight data will explain exactly why the drone landed where it did.

To post your flight data there are a couple of options ...

1. Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report on the flight data.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.
or
2. Just post the .txt file here
or
3. If you use Airdata, you can view the flight data on Airdata and post a link for the Airdata report

If you are using one of the controllers with an integrated screen, the txt files are to be found here:
Android\data\dji.go.v5\files\FlightRecord

Probably didn't wait long enough for a proper gps satellite lock and recorded homepoint. As you started flying it got the lock and recorded the homepoint as you were flying (100 ft away) at some point. If you were in a wooded area the trees could easily have been blocking enough satellites to get a proper homepoint recorded. As you went up and cleared the foliage, it got the number of satellites it needed. This is all just my speculation and as others have said, the only way to know for sure would be a look at the flight records.

RTH is not precise BUT is much better with light. You want more exact landings , Almost directly back to the Pad, -- make a hashtag shape out of black tape (or white depending on your substrate), on your pad, The drone will land on it everytime!!
I sent you a PM.

Uum only if the mini 3 has precision landing.
If it doesn't then light levels make no difference since drone uses GPS location only.
If it has precision landing then the take off has to comply with the appropriate rules.

Didn't wait long enough for the GPS signal. Flew almost the same route this morning and RTH worked perfectly twice. I just need more practice.
That's what I assumed the problem was. Even experienced folks takeoff a little early occasionally. I wait a quite a while and even go up straight for 20 feet or so, and then pause for a moment to make sure all is good. I find it's usually when you have someone else there is when I push things a little. Slow down, take your time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nenad