DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH failure

Here is the GO4 screen prior to take off
View attachment 96991

And here is the scree once the AC is in the air
View attachment 96992
So, the auto-takeoff icon turns in to the auto-land button once the bird is in the air. It does not disappear leaving the RTH icon on top.
Also,

There is no slider when you activate RTH, the slider appears when you activate Autoland. You are, in all likelihood, pressing the autoland icon on the GO4 screen.

EDITED for clarity
Here is the GO4 screen prior to take off
View attachment 96991

And here is the scree once the AC is in the air
View attachment 96992
So, the auto-takeoff icon turns in to the auto-land button once the bird is in the air. It does not disappear leaving the RTH icon on top.
Also,

There is no slider when you activate RTH, the slider appears when you activate Autoland. You are, in all likelihood, pressing the autoland icon on the GO4 screen.

EDITED for clarity
i guess I have been hitting “land” instead of RTH then???? How stupid of me ... I have a vision problem having to look over my glasses to see the screen & then have to slip me glasses up for the long view ... so carelessness does creep in sometimes ... so if RTH has no slider then I am the fool ... will go out & try it

I am embarrassed I have put you folks up to all this ... but you may have solved my problem. Thanks all for your time & especially, especially with the screen shots which really clarifies everything ... I shall post my results oncei get flying again sometime this week.

for safety I always press RTH on my RC button. you wont press the wrong button.
I think I did try that but no response ... because I pressed it once only??? Is it a double press like start up etc??? I will try again when I fly next ... TkU

I am embarrassed I have put you folks up to all this ...
Nah, don't be. We all make mistakes. What's important is to learn from them. Like many have pointed out, it is probably better to use the physical RTH button on the remote controller. Just remember that with that one you will have to press and hold it for a few seconds to activate RTH, a quick press and release won't do anything.

Reactions: sar104 and Jetadhai
Bc
Nah, don't be. We all make mistakes. What's important is to learn from them. Like many have pointed out, it is probably better to use the physical RTH button on the remote controller. Just remember that with that one you will have to press and hold it for a few seconds to activate RTH, a quick press and release won't do anything.
TkU friend for your understanding & patience ... it will be a few day before I can get to my drone again ... but will post outcome ... ??????

Reactions: BERNIEdoc
for safety I always press RTH on my RC button. you wont press the wrong button.

Absolutely, plus it's good practice and gets you into the habit for if you lose GO4 for any reason. Personally, anything that can be done on the controller instead of the app, then that's how I'll do it. Plus you have the tactile feedback so you can find all the buttons if you have problems like dropping your glasses, fogging, glare and so on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jetadhai
This is really good to remember! I have situations where I'm standing on the edge of a creek and taking shots right in front of me. A RTH for any reason would be disastrous as it would just go in the drink. For these flights one of my post takeoff checks is to fly quickly over to the other side of the creek to a clearing and manually set home over there. If something happens it would be an almighty pest to have to find my way over to the other side for retrieval, but at least the drone is safely high and dry.

Please note also that if you are within 5m of the RTH point (where you took off), then a RTH will simply land right where it is. If you are within 5-20m of where you took off, then the drone will NOT go to the preset altitude before coming home. Only if you are >20m from the home point was set will the drone rise to the preset altitude and RTH.

Reactions: Yeo HongPoh
I think I did try that but no response ... because I pressed it once only??? Is it a double press like start up etc??? I will try again when I fly next ... TkU

Hold it down until it beeps and you hear the voice "Home" announcement.

I am embarrassed I have put you folks up to all this ... but you may have solved my problem. Thanks all for your time & especially, especially with the screen shots which really clarifies everything ... I shall post my results oncei get flying again sometime this week.

It's all good, plenty of us have learned something from this thread, plus there will be other lurkers who'll stumble over it and pick up some info they didn't have before. Plus you didn't lose your drone, which you almost certainly would have if you'd kept hitting the "Land" button. Any thread which saves someone's drone is a good thread IMO.

I think I noticed earlier in the thread that you have some vision problems and issues with spectacles? I very strongly urge you to learn to do all flight control via the controller, not the screen (where possible obviously, lots of stuff you can only do on the screen). All the controls on the controller can be felt through your fingertips and you'll get muscle memory, so you can do stuff without having to look down. Anything you can do which allows you to keep your head up and eyes on the drone, surrounds, monitoring the flight is a good thing. Plus of course, by operating in this way, you're preparing yourself for a situation where you lose GO4 during the flight for any reason.

Personally I only use the screen for stuff that's impossible to do on the controller.

It's all good, plenty of us have learned something from this thread, plus there will be other lurkers who'll stumble over it and pick up some info they didn't have before. Plus you didn't lose your drone, which you almost certainly would have if you'd kept hitting the "Land" button. Any thread which saves someone's drone is a good thread IMO.

I think I noticed earlier in the thread that you have some vision problems and issues with spectacles? I very strongly urge you to learn to do all flight control via the controller, not the screen (where possible obviously, lots of stuff you can only do on the screen). All the controls on the controller can be felt through your fingertips and you'll get muscle memory, so you can do stuff without having to look down. Anything you can do which allows you to keep your head up and eyes on the drone, surrounds, monitoring the flight is a good thing. Plus of course, by operating in this way, you're preparing yourself for a situation where you lose GO4 during the flight for any reason.

Personally I only use the screen for stuff that's impossible to do on the controller.
Much appreciated ... TkU ... consistent hands on the way to go to develop reliable muscle memory ... get the point

08 March 20 - did a good reconnaissance flight over a large empty school site ... used the RTH button ... she came home to daddy ssooo sweetly ... as you folks said it would ... BUT another lesson!

Being a large site I relocated to another position ... using Active Track following my car across the site ... at the far point I was warned that RTH was going to engage in a few seconds ... and it did ... guess what ... I lost it visually as it took off back to the first point I compass calibrated! ...

I override the RYH & manually & used the arrow on my screen to turn to me ... which I thought was pointing to my location ... I gave it juice and it closed in but I could not hear or visual it !!!!

I panned down & saw grass ... I was standing next to a grass oval ... the arrow said it was near me so I decreased altitude ... but Still couldn’t hear it or visual it.

Then the truth hit ... the arrow was not pointing at me but to the last location across the far end of the site where I calibrated the compass on starting my flight! So flying it by the arrow TOWARD me ... was actually driving it hard AWAY from me to the first location!!!...

Close to the ground I flicked the camera up and confirmed I was behind buildings close to the first startup point ... lucky I am familiar with the landscape ... with about 29 seconds on the readout ... I manually turned the craft towards my approximate visual location & gave it juice .. lifting it manually over trees in the flight path & finally saw the oval I was standing alongside ... phew ... landed it manually into my hand with seconds to spare ...

Learned another lesson about RTH ... what do you say guys ???

08 March 20 - did a good reconnaissance flight over a large empty school site ... used the RTH button ... she came home to daddy ssooo sweetly ... as you folks said it would ... BUT another lesson!

Being a large site I relocated to another position ... using Active Track following my car across the site ... at the far point I was warned that RTH was going to engage in a few seconds ... and it did ... guess what ... I lost it visually as it took off back to the first point I compass calibrated! ...

I override the RYH & manually & used the arrow on my screen to turn to me ... which I thought was pointing to my location ... I gave it juice and it closed in but I could not hear or visual it !!!!

I panned down & saw grass ... I was standing next to a grass oval ... the arrow said it was near me so I decreased altitude ... but Still couldn’t hear it or visual it.

Then the truth hit ... the arrow was not pointing at me but to the last location across the far end of the site where I calibrated the compass on starting my flight! So flying it by the arrow TOWARD me ... was actually driving it hard AWAY from me to the first location!!!...

Close to the ground I flicked the camera up and confirmed I was behind buildings close to the first startup point ... lucky I am familiar with the landscape ... with about 29 seconds on the readout ... I manually turned the craft towards my approximate visual location & gave it juice .. lifting it manually over trees in the flight path & finally saw the oval I was standing alongside ... phew ... landed it manually into my hand with seconds to spare ...

Learned another lesson about RTH ... what do you say guys ???

It sounds like it behaved exactly as expected.

Agree ... I need to catch up with all this little wonder can do. Thanks for being out there you folks with experience ...

Hi , if you lose orientation of your drone , use left and right movements , if the drone is facing away from you then left will be left , if its facing you left will move the drone to the right.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121