DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH failure

Jetadhai

Reactions
Help ... resuming flying after many months ... a common problem besets me.

After calibrating compass, IMU & setting RTH to start point ... I fly. Three times now ... some distance away &behind a temp obstruction ... ie Small low level buildings ... I hit RTH. After completing exercise. I immediately noticed altitude rapid drop meaning the MAVIC Zoom was lading some far from me & out of sight.
In panic left stick worker to gain height & using arrow on screen & some struggle brought it back over me to a semi manual safe landing.

I now fly knowing I cannot depend on RTH anymore & prepare for a home return ... once very close to me I try out the RTH to see if it works at close proximity ... NADA!

Help out there ... I would like to have this safety feature back solidly in place as a fail safe I can depend on. Please guidance & suggestions from out there ... ??????

After calibrating compass, IMU & setting RTH to start point ... I fly. Three times now ... some distance away &behind a temp obstruction ... ie Small low level buildings ... I hit RTH. After completing exercise. I immediately noticed altitude rapid drop meaning the MAVIC Zoom was lading some far from me & out of sight.
In panic left stick worker to gain height & using arrow on screen & some struggle brought it back over me to a semi manual safe landing.

I now fly knowing I cannot depend on RTH anymore & prepare for a home return ... once very close to me I try out the RTH to see if it works at close proximity ... NADA!

Help out there ... I would like to have this safety feature back solidly in place as a fail safe I can depend on. Please guidance & suggestions from out there ... ??????
Are you waiting until you receive the message, "the home point has been updated, please check it on the map" before you fly off? If the bird has recorded the home point then it will return there unless something is defective in your drone.

Reactions: Jetadhai
... once very close to me I try out the RTH to see if it works at close proximity ... NADA!...
If "very close to me" is also very close to the home point then it will land where it is.

Would like to see the flight log analysis on this one.
Battery level problem?
Flying behind any obstruction, small low level or big high level can present an issue.
And why the imu calibration? Was there a message that indicated a problem with the imu? Did it fly fine the last time you flew it?
Just curious. Thanks.

Are you waiting until you receive the message, "the home point has been updated, please check it on the map" before you fly off? If the bird has recorded the home point then it will return there unless something is defective in your drone.
Yes, the confirmation message appears on selecting RTH option.
I’m the past, it used to RTH even from a distance ... from beyond tree lines temporarily in the way of momentary direct sight ... I use a spotter in cases like this

Yes the message confirms the RTH selection. Each time in the last three flights undertaken it’s confirms it when setting up ... each time it starts landing where ever it is when I deploy the RTH instead of returning to base.

If "very close to me" is also very close to the home point then it will land where it is.
What I meant was in comparison to where the bird was when I deployed RTH, I manually overrode it landing where it was & brought it to around 5m of me manually, then out of curiosity tried the RTH to see if it would come back to the approximate location of the take off point ... but it didn’t

I will try to down load the log ... never done before I will have to find out how. Will go to YouTube & see if I can find detailed advice there ... I’m these instances I am computer stupid?

Would like to see the flight log analysis on this one.
Battery level problem?
Flying behind any obstruction, small low level or big high level can present an issue.
And why the imu calibration? Was there a message that indicated a problem with the imu? Did it fly fine the last time you flew it?
Just curious. Thanks.
1. Not a battery problem I feel as there is plenty of juice left on return ... to continue another flight.
2. Flying begins temp obstacles also not the issue I feel as all other operations work smoothly ... up down forward etc.
3. IMU calibration after the many months of storage in its case ... some of the green bars were very minimal ... just as a caution. No ... there were no cautionary messages to that effect ... just being super thorough I was thinking.

someone suggests down loading the flight log ... sounds like the place to go. So I will try. Never done before and in these things am rather computer stupid until I do it once. Will trawl YouTube to see if I can find instructions that I can follow to success ... takes me many tries in things like this ... will come back to this thread when I do.
But Tks all for your responses ... & if anything occurs please do comment ... every little bit helps I feel.

Overall I am super cautious with my bird ... it’s god a good home ... it is carefully assembled & de-assembled every time ... all parts carefully bedded in the foam lined watertight case Etc etc ... it has never hit anything I’m flight of I’m it’s case ... batteries promptly recharged each time & stored away for the next time ... etc

I hit RTH
Where did you hit RTH?
- on the RC? (physical button)
- onscreen in GO4 app? If you clicked onscreen the symbol you might mix up the RTH and Land button.

I will try to down load the log ... never done before I will have to find out how. Will go to YouTube & see if I can find detailed advice there ... I’m these instances I am computer stupid?
No ... skip YouTube, go here instead and read up under point 3 on how to retrieve the mobile device TXT log (that device you flew with) --> Flight log retrieval and analysis guide ... then attach the log here in a new post.

The land button and the return to home button are right beside each other make sure you press the right one cause I pressed the wrong one one time and got confused and didn’t realize till the drone started landing and quickly cancelled the landing

Trying to imagine my screen ... it starts with 4 icons on the LHS.
1 Auto take off
2.RTH
3 Flight modes selector
4 Fly thru mode

once airborne the 1 Auto take off disappears. Leaving the RTH icon on top. Hey, with my eye sight issues, I presumed this is RTH & once dialogue box appears with the yellow slider, I just operate the slide. Tomorrow morn will take another careful look at the command. Tk U

once airborne the 1 Auto take off disappears. Leaving the RTH icon on top.
Here is the GO4 screen prior to take off
1584801179464.png

And here is the scree once the AC is in the air
1584801232740.png
So, the auto-takeoff icon turns in to the auto-land button once the bird is in the air. It does not disappear leaving the RTH icon on top.
Also,
I presumed this is RTH & once dialogue box appears with the yellow slider, I just operate the slide.
There is no slider when you activate RTH, the slider appears when you activate Autoland. You are, in all likelihood, pressing the autoland icon on the GO4 screen.

EDITED for clarity

Please note also that if you are within 5m of the RTH point (where you took off), then a RTH will simply land right where it is. If you are within 5-20m of where you took off, then the drone will NOT go to the preset altitude before coming home. Only if you are >20m from the home point was set will the drone rise to the preset altitude and RTH.

Please note also that if you are within 5m of the RTH point (where you took off), then a RTH will simply land right where it is. If you are within 5-20m of where you took off, then the drone will NOT go to the preset altitude before coming home. Only if you are >20m from the home point was set will the drone rise to the preset altitude and RTH.
Just to make it clear ... it's in 2 occasions were the AC just lands when RTH is initiated.

1584824054831.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka