DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH for distance flights

I have changed the HP by the methods @Zbip57 and @PhiliusFoggg mentioned on the map and used the new positions as "waypoints" to fly towards. For filming, it's a good way to have the mini tracking in the direction you want while you can concentrate more on getting the shot. For example by yawing to the side for a dolly shot etc. The mini is going straight to the HP but remember while Returning To Home, you can change all flight characteristics like, yaw, altitude, speed except for the course. You can cancel the landing and set a new HP and go to that "waypoint".
Who said the MM didn't have waypoints capability? ?

Who said the MM didn't have waypoints capability? ?
Just be very careful in selecting those "waypoints". If the Mini loses control signal on the way to one of those points, it'll continue and actually land there.

I've not tried flying over the hill yet. The drone would need to be way over the 120m limit to remain connected, since the hill is much closer to my house than his which I really don't want to do.

Yes I could follow it in a car - good idea! I think if I do that I could also remain connected, which would be a bonus.
Allow someone else to drive or you will be violating more than drone laws! (g)

Reactions: jamesdc
I have changed the HP by the methods @Zbip57 and @PhiliusFoggg mentioned on the map and used the new positions as "waypoints" to fly towards. For filming, it's a good way to have the mini tracking in the direction you want while you can concentrate more on getting the shot. For example by yawing to the side for a dolly shot etc. The mini is going straight to the HP but remember while Returning To Home, you can change all flight characteristics like, yaw, altitude, speed except for the course. You can cancel the landing and set a new HP and go to that "waypoint".
That is great, I didn't try it yet, but we need to be very careful because if drone is flying away from us and we deal with the camera, all is great, but if we lose signal - then what? It will activate RTH but that Home point is not take off point but some distant point.

I remember first time seeing the drone doing 360s while maintaining straight course at was first flight or so however it is good for practice and easier to test out different inputs like snooth yaw while moving gimbal .. im curious now tho how far will the mavic go range wise like say i have a spotter in a big open field i set my home point and drive to a different location launch the drone and initiate rth wouldnt it come down to battery? If gps has home point set sure you would lose control and fpv but video would record to sd card wouldn’t it? As long as u know the home point has lots of space would make sense that if you launch and rth it will rise
To altitude and b-line it for the home point set.. signal is taken out of the situation isnt it? Surely someone has tested this before

Update: We tried this out last night on the disused golf course last night for a short maybe 300m flight and it worked perfectly. It flew and landed exactly to where I marked on the map without a problem.

The only challenge we had was accurately placing the homepoint on the non satellite view map - although checking online now it looks like it would have been possible to switch to a satellite view, like in this video

I know on this thread I'm coming across as somebody who disregards the rules but I couldn't drive a car and fly a drone at the same time even if I wanted to :D

OMM post #18 offers an explanation, in windless conditions the rth speed is 8m/s so 4 miles would be a flight time of under 14 minutes, ignoring climb and descent times

Reactions: old man mavic
not a problem ,but we all know real world conditions have so many variables, and apart from a few moments sometimes say early morning or approaching dusk i have yet to see a day that has been constantly wind free in any direction

If you look in your profile on the opening page of the fly app and expand the number of flights window ( tap "more >" ) you can see a list of your flights and sort them by distance covered.
I am a bit disappointed, my longest is only 4.5km. :-(((

I do distance flights and have a couple of spots I land if I have any issues. I have to change settings to land instead of rth before signal loss, so when I drop behind trees it doesn't try to return home. I learned this the hard way. So If you have a strong signal the whole way you can set it to land when you loss signal (drop behind the hill) and it will continue to land . You'll need to point camara straight down to mark landing spot and change rth settings before hitting the land button . Good luck

Just as a matter of interest I have just run the mini up and down my garden umpteen dozen times. 7.75km all in P mode.

Reactions: jamesdc
I've not tried flying over the hill yet. The drone would need to be way over the 120m limit to remain connected, since the hill is much closer to my house than his which I really don't want to do.

Yes I could follow it in a car - good idea! I think if I do that I could also remain connected, which would be a bonus.
But, legally, you are probably prohibited from driving the car at the same time as you’re flying the aircraft. Even if it were legal, none of what you propose is a good idea.

But, legally, you are probably prohibited from driving the car at the same time as you’re flying the aircraft. Even if it were legal, none of what you propose is a good idea.

I think I could have written that up better - I wasn't suggesting driving a car while flying (that would be bonkers!), I would be a passenger in a car that was following

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo