DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH Hypothetical Question

WoodMan

Reactions
I've been wondering and haven't seen this question posted anywhere. I live at 3,100 ft elevation and wanted to explore some higher elevations on our mountain. Suppose I fly from my 3,100 ft elevation to 4,000 ft elevation and RTH gets activated due to LOS or low battery and my RTH elevation is set to 200 ft. Is the MPZ going to try to come down to 3,300 ft while it's still at 4,000 ft. elevation, obviously causing it to crash? I'm fairly new to flying drones and not aware of whether they keep track of their altitude above the ground below or just how far up they are from their take-off elevation. I assume I would have to set the maximum altitude in settings to 1,000 ft. just to be able to get to the 4,000 ft. elevation plus 100 ft.

Otherwise I'd have to drive higher up the hill to explore the 4,000 ft. area. My main concern is what happens during a RTH event if the ground is much higher than the RTH altitude setting. Once again, I'm assuming the RTH altitude setting is in reference to it's Home take-off setting. I suppose DJI Go 4 also won't allow a RTH altitude of 1,000 ft. to avoid my concern above.

The aircraft will not descend while returning in RTH mode. If it is already higher than the set RTH height then it will stay at that height until it is over the home point.
So is APAS overridden if it requires rising above an obstacle higher than that height? For instance: you dip below a peak that is above the RTH height and you lose connection and it triggers Return To Home.

So is APAS overridden if it requires rising above an obstacle higher than that height? For instance: you dip below a peak that is above the RTH height and you lose connection and it triggers Return To Home.

If OA is enabled for RTH then it will climb to avoid an obstacle up to the maximum set flight height.

...For instance: you dip below a peak that is above the RTH height and you lose connection and it triggers Return To Home.
It would be best to avoid that condition in the first place since it is almost a certainty that you would lose connection. You then have to trust in technology to get it back.

Reactions: Thomas B
Since you indicate you are new to this, I would also point out that what you propose on doing (starting at 3100 feet and flying up to 4000 feet) 'may' be illegal. If the terrain is increasing to a height of 3600 feet where you are flying, then you can fly as high as 4000 feet and still be legal. But if the terrain stays at 3100 feet where you are flying, then you are not permitted to fly higher than 3500 feet. Basically, to stay legal, you must not exceed 400 feet above the ground level from where the drone is at any given time.

Since you indicate you are new to this, I would also point out that what you propose on doing (starting at 3100 feet and flying up to 4000 feet) 'may' be illegal. If the terrain is increasing to a height of 3600 feet where you are flying, then you can fly as high as 4000 feet and still be legal. But if the terrain stays at 3100 feet where you are flying, then you are not permitted to fly higher than 3500 feet. Basically, to stay legal, you must not exceed 400 feet above the ground level from where the drone is at any given time.
I did not think that was correct. You can fly up the mountainside staying 400' off the side of the mountain. Your DJI may tell you that you are too high and stop you, but not illegal for you to do so. Am I wrong?

I guess I did not say it very well. It is correct that as you fly up the slope of the mountain you can be 400 feet above the ground level (AGL) under the drone. So you can fly 4000 ft above sea level if the ground below the drone is at least 3600 feet above sea level.

I guess I did not say it very well. It is correct that as you fly up the slope of the mountain you can be 400 feet above the ground level (AGL) under the drone. So you can fly 4000 ft above sea level if the ground below the drone is at least 3600 feet above sea level.

Yes, I'm talking about going uphill and never being more than 400' AGL (above ground level).

It appears I can set the max altitude to more than 400 feet (with warnings) so it does seem possible that I can explore uphill from home since I do live 1/3 of the way up the hill/inactive volcano.

Thanks for everyone's help. I do recall seeing that the drone will not go below the RTH altitude setting if it's already above that. Makes sense and relieves my concern about diving into the ground during LOS if I'm at a much higher altitude.

Yes, I'm talking about going uphill and never being more than 400' AGL (above ground level).

It appears I can set the max altitude to more than 400 feet (with warnings) so it does seem possible that I can explore uphill from home since I do live 1/3 of the way up the hill/inactive volcano.

Thanks for everyone's help. I do recall seeing that the drone will not go below the RTH altitude setting if it's already above that. Makes sense and relieves my concern about diving into the ground during LOS if I'm at a much higher altitude.
The Zoom altitude setting can be as high as 1600’. As long as you stay within 400’ of the mountainside you’re legal. I used this to film some sheer cliffs and rock pillars in the Superstition Mtns, in the red rock country of Sedona, and in my video of the Santan Mountains I used the trick of remote landing to reset the drones baroatimeters to zero so I could see over the peak about 3000’ above the desert floor TO point, of course staying within 400’ of the mountain slope.

The Zoom altitude setting can be as high as 1600’. As long as you stay within 400’ of the mountainside you’re legal. I used this to film some sheer cliffs and rock pillars in the Superstition Mtns, in the red rock country of Sedona, and in my video of the Santan Mountains I used the trick of remote landing to reset the drones baroatimeters to zero so I could see over the peak about 3000’ above the desert floor TO point, of course staying within 400’ of the mountain slope.
You actually get another 40', as 500m is 1640’.
Every little bit helps! Thumbswayup

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest