DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH impressive!

Oh no no. The areas where I fly arent that big. Usually when its time to land, I could easily just fly it back home and land it. When its time to go, wherever the Mavic is, I like to fly it out as far as my area allows for, and hit RTH.

OK thank you. I don’t necessarily go that far also, but seem to have a lot of interference in my area. As soon as I see a weak signal indication I turned back in my direction afraid to go any further.

Yes I also enjoy pressing the RTH and watch the Maverick do it’s thing.

Just this morning I was flying around the house (outside) while my kids were getting ready for school. I was just standing inside the front door (it’s cold!). It was time for them to leave, so I hit RTH and starting saying goodbyes. They kept giving me a concerned look, so I asked what was up. They were worried that I wasn’t actively controlling the Mavic, and had my back to the door (I had my eye on the screen). They both wondered where it was. Like clockwork it dropped down below the roofline of the porch into view and landed. They both said wooaaaahhhh, and left for school with huge smiles on their faces.

Just this morning I was flying around the house (outside) while my kids were getting ready for school. I was just standing inside the front door (it’s cold!). It was time for them to leave, so I hit RTH and starting saying goodbyes. They kept giving me a concerned look, so I asked what was up. They were worried that I wasn’t actively controlling the Mavic, and had my back to the door (I had my eye on the screen). They both wondered where it was. Like clockwork it dropped down below the roofline of the porch into view and landed. They both said wooaaaahhhh, and left for school with huge smiles on their faces.

I have 2 five year old boys who act the same way each time I fly and land it using RTH. Several of my friends thought my buying a drone was a bit silly so I would say I got it for the kids. Now lately my friends are asking more and more about the Mavic. My reply to them now is “too bad your kids are grown up”. It is an amazing device with the marriage of so many technologies.

I have 2 five year old boys who act the same way each time I fly and land it using RTH. Several of my friends thought my buying a drone was a bit silly so I would say I got it for the kids. Now lately my friends are asking more and more about the Mavic. My reply to them now is “too bad your kids are grown up”. It is an amazing device with the marriage of so many technologies.

I love it. As long as you aren’t getting crazy, it’s a stress free, very relaxing way to fly. I got tired of crashing and fixing, crashing and fixing the race drones. I loved the FPV aspect of it, but that’s all. I discovered the Mavic and won’t go back.

I am sure FPV is lots of fun. This is my first drone so I am still a bit nervous each time that I fly because I have yet to fly in ATTI mode. I don’t like being total dependent on the GPS. I think I saw a method on YouTube of switching to ATTI mode with the Mavic. I need to do this in an open field to get a better feel of the controls during a light breeze. I am sure this will not be my last drone. Definitely a fun hobby.

Does the Mavic automatically take the pic above 30'? Or should it be done manually?

Does the Mavic automatically take the pic above 30'? Or should it be done manually?

It’s automatic. It doesn’t literally take a pic that’s going to show up on your memory card...It’s more like making a mental image.

Hey guys how would you know that the pic is taken from the mavic? Is there some type of notification that the user gets when it's safe to fly off?

Hey guys how would you know that the pic is taken from the mavic? Is there some type of notification that the user gets when it's safe to fly off?

At some point is says something about the home point being set, and then maybe something about "precision landing something" at some point on the RC screen lol.

I honestly dont pay much attention any more. I just know I hit the set home location button, take off straight up, go at least 30 feet, and fly away. I haven't had an issue yet.

I've only used RTH once because I usually fly low and am surrounded by tall trees. I am afraid of having my Platinum go up into a tree on RTH so I just have it HOVER. The one time I did use it it was with one of those orange landing mats with the black "X" marked on it and it only missed dead center by a couple of inches. Yes, it is impressive. The total technology package blows me away. Can't wait till I get out in the country to try out some of the new flight programs.

If you stick a 'H' or use a landing pad, would it land at the same spot? I read it takes an image of the ground and matches them on RTH. I've not tried it yet.
I almost always use a landing pad, I have 2 types and it lands even closer than that on most occasions. Keep flying and enjoy!

I fly in a very open area from my back yard. I ALWAYS use precision takeoff and USUALLY use RTH to come home. I use a landing pad and on takeoff the bird rises to 18 feet and stops. Then I manually fly it from there. RTH brings it back on the GPS then orients to the heading it took off on. It starts the descent and doesn’t get precise until it gets down to around 20 feet. Even in a fairly strong wind it is never more than 2 inches from initial point.

I have a "Hard, Tri-Fold Tonneau" cover for my Honda Ridgeline Truck, and put a 14" + symbol on it using white duct tape. 5 of 6 times, it will land within six inches of the centre of the +. Landing on the tonneau, I don't have ground dust or debris to contend with. A side benefit of the tonneau is that if I open the TAILGATE SIDEWAYS (the Ridgeline opens BOTH ways!) then I can place the RC BELOW the tonneau to shade it as if it had a box protecting my iPad from the sun.

By the way, I selected the Ridgeline for THAT feature specifically. I call it my "Aircraft Carrier".

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming