DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH inaccurate

Bunraku

Reactions
Hi

I normally RTH after filming and never had in issue until an hour ago. I was even using RTH earlier today with no issue.

Now my landings are anything from 1-3ft out and normally just a few inches. I'm only flying 50 metres away at most.

Both my compass and IMU are all green. Any idea what's caused this?

Thanks

Are you flying at least 30 feet straight up after taking off from the home point? Mavic needs to get a good downward shot from what I understand.

Reactions: Odom1957
Here are some things that should improve the accuracy:

1) Enable the "Precision Landing" feature in DJI GO and ascend straight up for at least 32 feet before moving your Mavic away from the takeoff point.

2) Don't take off from a location that does not have an easily recognizable pattern (e.g. a large field of grass). It might be handy take keep a landing pad with you in case you need to take off from a less than ideal location.

3) Manually land when the lighting is poor (e.g. early morning, late evening, or at night).

Hi

I normally RTH after filming and never had in issue until an hour ago. I was even using RTH earlier today with no issue.

Now my landings are anything from 1-3ft out and normally just a few inches. I'm only flying 50 metres away at most.

Both my compass and IMU are all green. Any idea what's caused this?

Thanks

Loads more details there before anyone can advise:-

- How many satellites were locked prior to take off?
- What is the ambient light level?
- Are the required options for precision landing and assistance turned on?
- Did you do the automatic take off or manual?
- If automatic did you tick the "precision takeoff" option?
- If manual, did you go directly up slowly to 6m or did you rotate or move the drone before that?
- What is the landing area? Smooth or lacking in contrast? Too bright or dark?
- Are you or other people walking around underneath the drone before its completely its initial climb to 30ft (this changing the landing "picture") ?

The accuracy of RTH can be affected by loads of factors including the above.

Thanks for replies.

I have all precision options turned on and am using a helipad. All my take offs were manual.

However I am at the edge of sports fields and it's busier than earlier. Because of that I was at an edge with trees and hence shade. So although conditions were generally sunny, the take off area was in shadow.

Also there are more people and dogs moving in the general area although not directly under my take off area.

When taking off and going to 30ft are you meant to hover for a few seconds or just fly off at that point?

as the manual says, you need to to directly up to 6m before moving the drone for precision RTH to capture the data it needs.
Personally ive found using the auto take off and ticking the box seems more accurate than me doing it manually (the drone doesnt seem to drift as much on the ascent).

The Mavic Manual can be download here. It states the takeoff must be at least 10 meters straight up. It also states the surrounding terrain must have distinctive features.

...When taking off and going to 30ft are you meant to hover for a few seconds or just fly off at that point?
Hover for a few seconds so a picture of your landing spot can be taken.

Doesnt need to hover. It takes the snapshots as it goes up. As soon as its passed the required altitude its got all it needs.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98