DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH information

sli-woody

Reactions
Hi Mavic Pilots!
I am after some information on a project I am working on that I hope someone might have the answer to;
If the Mavic mini is flown away from the operator with a tail wind to a point where signal is completely lost and then the Mini initiates RTH but cannot fly back to the operator due to the wind speed, can the operator cancel the RTH, re-initiate a RTH but select LAND instead, even if the signal is still lost?
Basically I want to know how the operator would initiate a "LAND" instead of "RTH" without signal. Is this possible?

thanks

Hi Mavic Pilots!
I am after some information on a project I am working on that I hope someone might have the answer to;
If the Mavic mini is flown away from the operator with a tail wind to a point where signal is completely lost and then the Mini initiates RTH but cannot fly back to the operator due to the wind speed, can the operator cancel the RTH, re-initiate a RTH but select LAND instead, even if the signal is still lost?
Basically I want to know how the operator would initiate a "LAND" instead of "RTH" without signal. Is this possible?

thanks

sli-woody - I have a fair bit of experience with a variety of DJI products, including the MM. From what I have seen, once you have lost the signal, there is no way of changing the command to the drone unless you are fortunate to regain the signal.

If you have the loss of signal setting set to RTH, the drone will go up to the set altitude,and try to return to home. If you are lower than that, you make get lucky if the unit goes up high enough to regain the signal before it blows back out of range. As it gets higher, you may be more likely to pick up a signal, but winds are usually higher the further up you go. Sometimes changing the orientation of the controller/antenna will allow you to regain signal. Because of the type of signal used by the MM, I find that glass degrades the signal much more than most other DJI products. If you lose signal to the MM while sitting in a vehicle, lowering a window, or getting out, will often allow you to regain contact.

In my experience, if you are not within signal range, you cannot send a command to the unit to land, change mode (ie to sport), or do anything else. It will try to fight the wind, and RTH, until a low battery forces a landing.

I fly a MM fairly regularly in winds gusting 25-30 mph and not have any close calls. I always fly into the wind (not downwind) and watch my airspeed and direction very closely, particularly as I gain altitude. I have had situations where even in the sport mode with full throttle I was being pushed backwards, but by changing altitude and direction, I was able to maintain control and land safely.

Attached is some information from a MM flight yesterday from Airdata. Sustained wind was over 20 mph, gusts were over 30 mph at one point.Mavic Mini Flight 20200402.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: sli-woody
Hi Mavic Pilots!

thanks

If you have lost uplink with the aircraft then there is obviously nothing you can do to communicate with it, and so no, you cannot cancel RTH or change the failsafe procedure at that point.

You can do what you described if you still have telemetry shown on the screen. You can lose the video before the telemetry. If it is a complete loss of signal, jump in your car and start looking. You may have a chance to regain signal or at least use the ‘find my drone’ tool, in the app.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute