DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH issues

Jax B

Reactions
Hi everybody, I'm Jackie from South Africa.
I'm a complete newbie to flying drones and the DJI products. Recently got my Mavic Air and flew fine in beginner mode a couple of times, and the RTH function worked well. Yesterday I took it out of beginner mode for the first time and it's landing about 2 meters or so from the exact RTH point that was established. In fact once it went past the landing pad and actually flew into a wall and crashed. I'll re-checked settings etc in the app today, but just wondered if anybody else experienced something similar.

Hi Jackie
I read a lot about calibration of the compass before each flight, might be worth doing ( test in an open area with no walls) to see if that resolves your issue.
With you saying it once crashed into a wall when landing it is possible the wall or the building directly affected the GPS compass and caused it to switch to ATTI mode. Did you happen to notice how many satellites you were connect to before and at point of over shooting the LZ?

Hi Jackie
I read a lot about calibration of the compass before each flight, might be worth doing ( test in an open area with no walls) to see if that resolves your issue.
With you saying it once crashed into a wall when landing it is possible the wall or the building directly affected the GPS compass and caused it to switch to ATTI mode. Did you happen to notice how many satellites you were connect to before and at point of over shooting the LZ?
It was connected to between 11 and 18 satellites during the flight. Right before the point of impact it was connected to 9 satellites and where it usually states GPS it states Go Home. I did a pre-flight check and did not show that any calibration of the compass was required

Last edited:
I think if you upload your flight data for the one that hit the wall I am sure there are lots of experienced guys on here that can pin point what it happened.

I think if you upload your flight data for the one that hit the wall I am sure there are lots of experienced guys on here that can pin point what it happened.
Thanks, I'll figure out how to upload it

Hi Jackie

That is terrible advice.
And whilst you are trying to help the OP, please refrain, until you know what you are talking about.

2 meters or so from the exact RTH point
2 meters is not unusual in some cases. For example:
  • When not using Precision Landing
  • When Precision Landing is used and flying in poor lighting conditions or over terrain that has no unique features
  • When the home point isn't marked before taking off

I'll figure out how to upload it
Follow the instructions here. After uploading your flight log there, post the link to that page back here.

Reactions: Jax B
2 meters is not unusual in some cases. For example:
  • When not using Precision Landing
  • When Precision Landing is used and flying in poor lighting conditions or over terrain that has no unique features
  • When the home point isn't marked before taking off

Follow the instructions here. After uploading your flight log there, post the link to that page back here.
Thanks, as far as I can recall Precision Landing was enabled and my home point was definitely marked before taking off

Let's take a look at the flight log when you have time to post it.

I think This is the flight record of the crash

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-01-08_[15-35-32][1].txt
    470.2 KB · Views: 7
Here's what I see in your flight log:
  • The Mavic returned home at its current altitude because it was closer than 20 meters to the home point.
  • At 5m 44s, it arrived at the home point and started to come to a stop.
  • At 5m 45s, you moved the right stick to the full right and down position while your Mavic was trying to finish returning home.
  • At 5m 49s, the Mavic crashed into an obstacle that was about 1 foot from the home point.

Notes:
  • When the Mavic is close to the home point (less than 20 meters away), it would be safest to manually fly home and land. Allowing the Mavic to fly home at an altitude of 9.8 feet in an area with lots of obstacles can easily result in a crash if something does not go as planned.

• If you need to make adjustments near the home point, press the RTH button on the remote controller to cancel RTH before attempting to control the Mavic. Otherwise, you'll be fighting against the RTH automation.

• Don't take off in a location that is surrounded by obstacles if you're planning to allow the Mavic to automatically return home and land. The automated features usually work well, but they are not foolproof.

Reactions: BudWalker
Here's what I see in your flight log:
  • The Mavic returned home at its current altitude because it was closer than 20 meters to the home point.
  • At 5m 44s, it arrived at the home point and started to come to a stop.
  • At 5m 45s, you moved the right stick to the full right and down position while your Mavic was trying to finish returning home.
  • At 5m 49s, the Mavic crashed into an obstacle that was about 1 foot from the home point.

Notes:
  • When the Mavic is close to the home point (less than 20 meters away), it would be safest to manually fly home and land. Allowing the Mavic to fly home at an altitude of 9.8 feet in an area with lots of obstacles can easily result in a crash if something does not go as planned.

• If you need to make adjustments near the home point, press the RTH button on the remote controller to cancel RTH before attempting to control the Mavic. Otherwise, you'll be fighting against the RTH automation.

• Don't take off in a location that is surrounded by obstacles if you're planning to allow the Mavic to automatically return home and land. The automated features usually work well, but they are not foolproof.
Thanks again for looking at the record. As far as I recall I only moved the sticks when it was already up against the wall in an attempt to move it away and downwards.

I'll definitely take note of your recommendations and not do this again.

Thanks so much for your help!

Hi Jackie, where do you live? I'm in Hermanus.Maybe we can meet one day...
Hermanus, very nice! I'm sure you have no shortage of cool places to shoot footage. I'm all the way up in the highveld, Centurion in Gauteng

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead