DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH landing condition!

J.C.

Reactions
Hi, i bought a vcutech landing pad orange one side and light blue on the other side. My question: when i do rth 90% of the time when the air 2s approache the pad it stops and hoover and it says that landind environment is not appropriate for landing! But it land in my hand if i want to!🤔 i don’t understand this because this is why landing pad are for! Is it because of the wind or thing around? How many feet as to be free around pad for landing? Is it the reflection on the pad?

Hi, i bought a vcutech landing pad orange one side and light blue on the other side. My question: when i do rth 90% of the time when the air 2s approache the pad it stops and hoover and it says that landind environment is not appropriate for landing! But it land in my hand if i want to!🤔 i don’t understand this because this is why landing pad are for! Is it because of the wind or thing around? How many feet as to be free around pad for landing? Is it the reflection on the pad?
Are you following the Precision Land Manual guidelines? Takeoff, ascend to around 21'and hover there for a few seconds, do not touch right stick or left yaw, just ascend and wait.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220509-120255_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20220509-120255_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Is the landing area level or sloped?
Try facing the camera straight down as the drone begins to descend. You'll be able to see if it is lined up correctly or not; watch as it descends to see if it moves the correct location. If it doesn't line up correctly that likely means the home point wasn't updated correctly or that the surroundings of the home point area changed since takeoff. I figure the home point sensors cover 25-50 feet diameter circle and that area must remain unchanged; that means no people there.

Does the problem arise with both sides/colours of the pad and how big is the pad?

I wonder if it is the pad design letterings cause maybe to much color instead of white circle all around the pad

How brightly lit is the ground where you normally launch from?

I doubt is would be landing pad; I use one all the time and it works great--both colors.
Unsuitable landing location would first likely be a slope. Tall grass might be a problem as the drone would not be able to determine true ground level. Unusual reflections from the landing area, not just the pad but the surrounding terrain and objects.
Set the gimbal to watch the descent; record the video. The drone should rotate gimbal up when ready to touchdown. Pay attention to details. You can also do still pictures as it descends so can post a picture of the terrain.

Ok did some test this afternoon and on 3 landing one failed so i am satisfied with the result. The failed one the drone was landing at 2 feet off the landing pad. One thing i have remark is that you need a clear landing spot away from trees, car and people because if people moves it seems it doesn’t match initial record of landing spot.

Reactions: mereflyer
Yes, the landing area, not just the pad, must remain unchanged. If people present at takeoff they must remain at the exact spot. Even sharp changing shadows from trees can be different when the drone returns 20 minute after takeoff.

Yes, the landing area, not just the pad, must remain unchanged. If people present at takeoff they must remain at the exact spot. Even sharp changing shadows from trees can be different when the drone returns 20 minute after takeoff.

And here's yet another reason I land manually 99+% of my flights. There's enough to be concerned with during a flight without having to try to keep all the people, dogs, trees, and other objects in the area frozen in place.

I don't have a problem with people as I don't fly where people are wandering around; I also place traffic cones around the landing area about 20x20 feet, along with warning signs. As for trees, they are stationary. The only animals might a stray alligator as there are no pets in the area.

I had similar problems, but after seeing a discussion on this site, I began taking the drone to 20 feet or a little more and pausing for a short while. Haven't had a problem since.

I think I had this once when the down draft moved the pad whilst landing because I had not pegged the pad down into the ground.
On the colour side of things, I find that the blue side is easier to see from above than the orange side.
The blue side looks much brighter.
I guess the reason the blue side is brighter than the orange is because it reflects the blue light from the sky. The orange side will reflect the sky colour poorly.

Reactions: mereflyer
I was just doing the search with this same problem but it's with the mini 2.
It hovers about 2' off the ground and says not suitable for landing
It's on smooth concrete and same area as takeoff
I even tried on the asphalt street and same thing
Tried auto and manual landing
Only way it will land is if I try auto land a 2nd time and it asks me if landing is ok
Once i tap ok then it auto lands

Now I see the other thread and looks to be normal but frustrating since I might not always want to land in exact same spot

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000