DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH-Mat

Mymgb

Reactions
My wife gave me an old cutting board from her quilting things and with a Black Sharpie I layed out a landing pad as I seem to be in taller grass and sandy areas. Upon take off I checked return to marked spot and the MP rose 10-12 ft then I took off. I have attached the results and if it wasn’t so “gusty” today it might have been perfect??? The landing was from a height >100ft
IMG_0703.JPG

IMG_0701.JPG

IMG_0702.JPG

I might also add for new pilots to pay close attention to the orientation of your MP and turn as the drone turns as well as WATCH YOUR SCREEN

When I'm hiking I'm trying to reduce weight, not add to it!
Leg extenders. #Sorted. [emoji6]

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Mate I have a black and white tile, 400mm x400mm and the mavic nails it every time. I reckon give your landing pad more contrast will give better results...

For hiking, I have a smaller version of the same, iirc it's 75cm dia. It weighs nothing. Landing pads are probably the best accessories I bought for Mavic.
Up in the rocky peaks of the Dolomites, a landing pad helps not at all. The leg extenders enable landing on quite a small rock a relatively simple task.

Up in the rocky peaks of the Dolomites, a landing pad helps not at all. The leg extenders enable landing on quite a small rock a relatively simple task.

Yeah, in the mountains I usually use "landing" pad as "launch" pad only, hand-catch landing. Helps with warming up Mavic while it fixes sats without juggling it and RC in my hands.

BTW, I was flying my wingsuit in Dolomites (Sass Pordoi) this September. Lots of PGs there. Had my Mavic with me, just didn't have time to fly it in Dolomites - all time was consumed by jumping.

One advantage of the landing pads are that they keep your lens clean, by not blowing dust and dirt all over the place during takeoff. With the Mavic's camera sitting right at ground level, the lens catches a bit of everything during takeoff. I am a lens cleaning fool, as I've been shooting professionally for a long time. Some might say that they don't have this issue, or they never noticed ~ but it's there. However, for hiking I most certainly see the appeal of shedding everything that has weight or bulk to it. In which case, I'd just hand launch/catch.

All good comments but the intention of the post was for new pilots and there possible understanding of the RTH function and as above Post to illustrate take off and landings in tall grass,sand or rocks. KEEP FLYING

One advantage of the landing pads are that they keep your lens clean, by not blowing dust and dirt all over the place during takeoff. With the Mavic's camera sitting right at ground level, the lens catches a bit of everything during takeoff. I am a lens cleaning fool, as I've been shooting professionally for a long time. Some might say that they don't have this issue, or they never noticed ~ but it's there. However, for hiking I most certainly see the appeal of shedding everything that has weight or bulk to it. In which case, I'd just hand launch/catch.
I hear what you say ... but when I'm out hiking I usually find a nice bare rock, blasted by years of wind and rain, with the minimum of dust.
If I was filming a potential blockbuster movie ..... (a) I might be more picky and (b) probably using a Red Monstro on an Octocopter. ;)

I hear what you say ... but when I'm out hiking I usually find a nice bare rock, blasted by years of wind and rain, with the minimum of dust.
If I was filming a potential blockbuster movie ..... (a) I might be more picky and (b) probably using a Red Monstro on an Octocopter. ;)
Yeah, I'm one of those OCD camera guys who loses his mind whenever I see someone shooting vertical video from their cell phone ~ thinking to myself how great that footage will look, banded in the middle of their big screen TV :confused:... I need a vacation.

Ok, sorry OP... Back to the topic at hand. Thumbswayup

To the OP, nice job on the mat. I would suggest some bright, perhaps reflective tape over the marker lines to give more contrast in low-light conditions.

Yeah, I'm one of those OCD camera guys who loses his mind whenever I see someone shooting vertical video from their cell phone ~ thinking to myself how great that footage will look, banded in the middle of their big screen TV :confused:

I used to be the same re: vertical video, until I realized that these videos are perfect for viewing on the phone in portrait, they create this eerie feeling of being right there, as if you're a correspondent on a scene of a catastrophe. :D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcjz