DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH modes

keat63

Reactions
Flying the MP1 manually through a wooded copse this afternoon.
Walking slowly behind it, and knowing that my RTH position was going to change, I'd already placed it in to dynamic RTH.

Only after the end of the flight, I'd realised that I never once got the message 'home point updated'
Checking the map, indeed showed that the home point was my original take off point 10-15 stroll minutes away.

So I googled it (as you do) and found that dynamic RTH only works in intelligent flight modes.

Looking at the two RTH options, one is the take off point, the other my location.
Am I undertanding this right.
Take off point will return to the take off point (obvious)
My location, will return the the place I was stood when I took off, so in effect probably the take off point less 3 feet.

How would I have the RTH to be the controller position.
The last thing I want to do is trek 10 minutes back in the direction I came in the event of an automated RTH (loss of controller error)

Looking at the two RTH options, one is the take off point, the other my location.
Am I undertanding this right.
Take off point will return to the take off point (obvious)
My location, will return the the place I was stood when I took off, so in effect probably the take off point less 3 feet.
Not quite.
You have two choices to reset the homepoint.
During a flight, you can reset the homepoint stored in the drone.
You have two options:
1 Reset the homepoint to the current location of the drone
2 Reset the homepoint to the current location of the controller (this requires GPS location from your phone or tablet)
i-95BG24K-M.jpg

So in my situation flying manually, does a dynamic rth exist. ?

An oversight by DJI then.
I'd be well peeved had I needed to walk back. Imagine if in the mean time it was picked up by a passer by. Not good.

In your situation it’s probably best to set RTH (failsafe) to hover.
If signal from the controller is lost, and you are close (but tree etc might be blocking los), it will stay put and you can move closer and regain control.
If left for any sort of failsafe RTH in wooded areas, the obvious dangers of an ascent are too risky, but ok in a totally open area.
Always be ready to fly atti if gps is affected under a canopy and vps can’t function correctly.

Where did you get the idea that you could set the home point to be the current movable location of your controller?

The word ‘dynamic’ I expect.
It’s only automatic in active tracking as per the manual >

28F23B53-4910-4CD0-9A05-BA08A3AC9EA4.jpeg

But you can manually reset home position to controller location manually at any time (though painful via the menu).

If dynamic mode is available through intelligent flight modes, wouldn't it make sense that you could use this when flying manually.

If dynamic mode is available through intelligent flight modes, wouldn't it make sense that you could use this when flying manually.
No. Why should it?

Because if you lose control the the craft is going to rth half a mile away, rather than its last GPS position 15 meters away.

Because if you lose control the the craft is going to rth half a mile away, rather than its last GPS position 15 meters away.
So, just update the HP as you go.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13