DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH? More like Return to Vicinity, and I’ll land myself

Kyle76

Reactions
I live on a street with a lot of trees, and my takeoff/landing area is not huge. I have found RTH to be so inaccurate that I have to take over myself to hit my landing pad. I wait for the home point to reset when taking off, but I have found RTH not to be the automatic action that I anticipated.

If you are not getting enough satellites because of the tree foliage
that might be your issue.

Reactions: Kyle76 and Lionfish
Within maybe 8ft is acceptable especially if surrounded by trees as they seem to kill the GPS. RTH does a grand job of getting back to you to where you can take control.
If you want better get out in the open, it works, mine will come down within maybe 2ft of the take off point if I am in the open.

It's a terrible feeling when your bird turns and then heads away instead of "returning to home". I've had it happen once and would be grateful if it never happens again. Be thankful your UAV headed home instead of parts unknown.

Reactions: Kyle76 and Lionfish
Flying my mm on a wide open football pitch RTH is within .3metres. Suppose you had an insufficient number of GPS satellites in view to land with your desired accuracy.

I live on a street with a lot of trees, and my takeoff/landing area is not huge. I have found RTH to be so inaccurate that I have to take over myself to hit my landing pad. I wait for the home point to reset when taking off, but I have found RTH not to be the automatic action that I anticipated.

How many satellites are you connecting to ?

While full RTH is *pretty* accurate, what is actually accurate is up for discussion. If home is in a tight area surrounded by treed I'm not going to trust the bird to land itself. 90%+ of the time in any circumstance I'll hit RTH to get it into the vicinity, usually overhead, then I'll take over. In a full landing from a distant trip it is unlikely that all 4's are going to land on the landing pad. If your pad is on anything but fresh-cut grass, the Mini has no leg height at all without extensions (I won't fly without them). And with that, if you miss the pad even by a little you're cutting grass and nicking your props.

I really like the quickness of response to cancel RTH so I can take over at any time to finish the job and place all 4's on the pad.

That’s my strategy - get in the vicinity and take over. Seems like descent is much slower with RTH than when I take the helm.

Remember that the Mini doesn't have the precision landing capability of some of the more expensive drones so will only really hit your landing pad on RTH if you're lucky. GPS accuracy (and hence the RTH accuracy for the Mini) is generally much better than what the US government promises - "the government commits to broadcasting the GPS signal in space with a global average user range error (URE) of ≤7.8 m (25.6 ft.), with 95% probability". Getting reasonably close to your take-off point is a good result.

Lol i was looking at drones before xmas and my gf took notice and she went ahead and ordered a drone for a xmas present (really wish she had to include me in the decision) she went to amazon and bought a snaptain something anyway 2 years before i was given a syma but back then to get the features and technology was near impossible for a “budget “ drone especially compared to nowadays.. anyway she bought a snaptain no gps had headless mode fpv and a rth funtion... the quad was far too much money for what u got especially compared to what you can get amazon accidentally charged for two identical drones and was supposed to get delivered days before xmas when she called in about the double charge and late delivery amazon refunded 300$ (150 each) and told her of ot arrives she can keep it. Almost a week after xmas two drones were delivered. I felt bad because she had tried but without gps ( i was looking at something like a beast or a bugS) so i set phone and drone up and played around with it headless mode helped with orientation so here o have two of them good thing because second flight outside new sd card i was getting the hang of the thing I decided to test
The rth .. i guess it thought home was chine because that thing took off like a jet in the opposite direction.. pretty sure it is in a tree in backyard lol ... at least she got refunded... i still wanted a gps drone and when lock down from corona started I ordered a mini and very glad i did.. that snaptain would cause loss of interest in the hobby where the mini would get you into it. Now with the beast pro having gimbal and se slot im thinking about getting one for the times when someone asks for a turn with the mini ... and probably gonna get an air 2 in the semi near future . For a first gps drone the mini is awesome especially as
An entry drone..

Rth never fails me but I never use it as a landing technique. Its good ifnu lpse
Singal or anything else fails i never use it to actually land i cancel it take
Control.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_