DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH problems

Janne Swede

Reactions
Was out with my Dji Mavic Air 2 today, clear weather and wind about 6m / s. When I was 600m away and 40 meters high, I activated RTH. The drone then went up to a preset maximum height of 120 m and stood completely still (probably due to strong wind) I disconnected the RTH and lowered the drone to 40 meters and switched to sports mode and took it home manually. Checked my settings and tested again with the same result. The software is up to date and everything else works as it should. Any tips what I can do?

Yr settings not set to “ hover in place”?
Was yr Home point set correctly?
check yr logs

Everything was set correctly but when I checked with Dji assistant 2 it came up that I had an incorrect software. May test again tomorrow.

Tested again today after updating the software, the problem persists and I now have an ongoing case with Dji support.
I hope you can come up with a solution otherwise I will return it has an open purchase 60 days.

The reason why RTH must be reliable is that as in my case, I was about 600 meters away at a height of 40 meters and pressed RTH. The drone went up to 120 m which was the maximum preset flight altitude and stood still, not the 50 meters that I had preset for RTH. Had I not taken it home manually, it could have gone really bad. The wind at 50 meters was no problem to handle, but at 120 the drone did not move forward. What would have happened if RC had lost contact with the drone, then it would have hovered at 120 meters until the battery was empty.

The problem with RTH not working as it should makes me really frustrated, I now have a case with Dji but I not so hopeful that they come up with a solution. Since my Dji Mavic Air 2 is brand new, I still have the option to return it, which I strongly consider.
The drone's most important safety system must be reliable, difficult to understand why Dji has not solved this problem. During my years with Phantom and Mavic drones, I have never had this problem before.

Last edited:
Just curious did you check your battery updates ?
Were finding out that a lot of the drones functions are controlled or affected by the Battery Update.

Just recently we sent the Air 2 out and it stopped at 150 ft and would not move forward , the reason being
the Air 2 wanted a battery Update .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Land on the Water.

I tested all three batteries and the RC with Dji Assistant 2 and there was no indication of need for updating either the drone, the batteries or the RC

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I tested all three batteries and the RC with Dji Assistant 2 and there was no indication of need for updating either the drone, the batteries or the RC
Since your familiar with assistant 2 , roll back your firmware to confirm the same Problem.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Land on Water.

Uninstalled the Dji Fly app and re-installed it (v.1.3.0). Updated all software and calibrated the drone to do further testing today. Set RTH to 50 meters and maximum flight altitude to 60 meters. Started the drone from my plot and took it up to 40 meters about 100 meters away and initiated RTH on RC. The drone went up to 51 meters and returned home. Tested 2 times with the same result. The weather was partly cloudy + 8 degrees Celsius and windy around 6-8 m / s.
Good test today but awaiting answers from Dji before I know if I can trust RTH.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I had similar problem about 6 -7 months ago, I recalibrated camera and gimbal sensors on DJI Assistant 2 - problem fixed, All perfect since then.

I had similar problem about 6 -7 months ago, I recalibrated camera and gimbal sensors on DJI Assistant 2 - problem fixed, All perfect since then.
Hello
Thanks for your information, have also calibrated the drone with Dji Assistant 2 now. Will do additional test flights today.

Have done a number of tests with RTH today and everything seems to work. The solution was probably that I calibrated the drone's sensors with Dji Assistant 2.
I probably would have done it already when it was brand new before the first flight. Let's hope the problem does not come back now.
Getting help from Dji Support in China is not easy, every time I answer a question I get a new one that must be answered within 48 hours. The questions move between departments and become more and more strange. I also dont want to send video files to China, which is probably against Swedish law as you are not allowed to distribute films that show the horizon without special permission.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder