Join Us Now

RTH to RC. Most people don't know this.

Do you know how the RTH to RC works?

• Yes

Votes: 91 64.1%
  • No

Votes: 51 35.9%

• Total voters
The only way it will return to the controller is if your phone or tablet has GPS built into it. Non cellular ipads do not. If you launch, then move from your original location and try to upadte your home point, it will not work. Because the app does not know your new location without GPS.

Not true actually. I have the iPad Mini 3 WiFi and it has GPS, pretty accurate too.

Reactions: ssvdh66
thank you very much for this IMPORTANT POINT. seems like DJI should clarify that point in their documentation.
I posted a follow up video the other day. Biggest take away from all this, I am now in the "no RTH unless necessary" group. I love my Mavic too much!

Not true actually. I have the iPad Mini 3 WiFi and it has GPS, pretty accurate too.

I also have the Mini 3 WiFi only model and I can assure you it does not have true GPS.

It relies on Wifi data positioning info. Take it out into the middle of a farmers field with no Wifi and it cannot determine position on its own.
Read Apples one tech specs

I also have the Mini 3 WiFi only model and I can assure you it does not have true GPS.

It relies on Wifi data positioning info. Take it out into the middle of a farmers field with no Wifi and it cannot determine position on its own.
Read Apples one tech specs

Thanks for clarifying. In populated areas it works pretty well for WiFi position determination, maybe it uses Bluetooth as well.

DJI should have put a basic GPS module in the RC too, but I guess they expected most to be using it with a device that already has GPS.

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying. In populated areas it works pretty well for WiFi position determination, maybe it uses Bluetooth as well.

DJI should have put a basic GPS module in the RC too, but I guess they expected most to be using it with a phone that already has GPS.
Which is probably every single phone that came out in the last couple years..

I just meant versus tablets, some of which don't have true GPS like the iPad Mini WiFi models.

Touche... in the end it really would be just ~$5 extra to include it... but multiply that by a couple hundred thousands of units sold..

Almost crashed my MP in the water, because I thought wrong on how the RTH to RC works.

Well done on swallowing humble pie. Resetting home point while on the move is something I read in manual, rarely thou do I use it as std. I test it every now and then ,nothing beats being in control of the UAV hands on. RTH is my last resort.
But great video mate and I watched IT AND had read the manual.Well done!!!

Reactions: ssvdh66
It will but the trick to is to constantly update it.
Every time you move your position or every five minutes or especially just before you hit RTH or the Mavic goes into RTH due to low battery there is two things or ways you can update your RCs position so Mavic will return exactly to you. (it is not dynamic so must be manually updated by you as you move your position).
One, tap the three bars top right then the first icon top left of menu and touch the RC hompoint (right one, not the mavic one) to update the RCs hompoint position.
Or
From home screen slide with finger your home screen to the left and the update RCs home position. TAP ON HOMEPOINT ME. (not the Mavics position)
Also note for RCs or return to RC to work your device that you are using (phone or tablet) MUST have GPS and be on and aquired a position.

Last edited:
I have been prompted by the Go4 app to turn on my smartphone's GPS to enable accurate home point when taking off using the app. This is only when I select precision home point. It didn't make sense as the AC has an accurate GPS so why does the app want the position from, effectively, the RC? I deduce that it can, by some setting, return to RC. It makes sense to have RTH when it loses RC comms to return to RC last known position. As a pilot you have to be aware of what is going on and if you lose comms with AC do not change your position until you have LOS on the AC, then you can cancel RTH and land manually.

Eric

beating-a-dead-horse-gif-11.gif

Reactions: Cut.Aussie
Nope it sets the home point to the position of the controller not aircraft
Oh ffs not this again.

Watch this from 2:00, listen to what he says, read the description in the app, watch the home point position relative to the DRONE and not him.

Adding my own 2 cents about dynamic home point.

This is a function which could have saved my first p3 from a pilot error.

I flew out from the coast around a rocky peninsula, and managed to fly around the corner where the rocky face blocked my radio. Unfortunately, I also underestimated the RTH altitude since I never intended to fly over the outcropping.

If the drone had automatically updated home point, it would have flown back to an area where I could control it and fly back.

As it was, it engaged RTH after losing signal and flew straight into the rocky face, just 2 meters short of clearing it...

(And yes, I realize that p4/mavic have front sensors that could have also avoided RTH into a solid rock)

Last edited:
Oh ffs not this again.

Watch this from 2:00, listen to what he says, read the description in the app, watch the home point position relative to the DRONE and not him.
And still, you are talking about two different things. Again, the post you were originally replying to was NOT talking about dynamic home point. Note where he says "the copter Icon go to the home point settings as you see in the pic I attached". Dynamic home point is the setting below home point settings. You misread his post, and are STILL arguing a point that he wasn't even talking about.

And still, you are talking about two different things. Again, the post you were originally replying to was NOT talking about dynamic home point. Note where he says "the copter Icon go to the home point settings as you see in the pic I attached". Dynamic home point is the setting below home point settings. You misread his post, and are STILL arguing a point that he wasn't even talking about.
I bet you Phill is (or hopefully was) convinced the dynamic homepoint feature keeps resetting the HP to the position of the controller. Phill?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
236-507-4032