DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH vs Return to controller

The icon on the right sets the home point to the mobile device's current location. If you move away from that location, you need to tap that icon again to reset the home point to the new location.

Reactions: Thomas B
Thank you...I have attached the menu for RTH settings. The icon on the left is normal return...the icon on the right, I believe is suppose to reset the home position to the controllerView attachment 75922
The icon on the right does not set home position to the controller. It sets it to the geographic location of the controller at the instant in time when you push the button. It does not automatically move with the controller.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
I have seen video of someone launching from on point...physically moving and having the drone return to home at another point...thought this is how it was done

I have seen video of someone launching from on point...physically moving and having the drone return to home at another point...thought this is how it was done
That is how it's done. However, you need to manually reset the home point before initiating RTH so the aircraft returns to your current location.

Reactions: Thomas B and AMann
Thank you...I have attached the menu for RTH settings. The icon on the left is normal return...the icon on the right, I believe is suppose to reset the home position to the controllerView attachment 75922

D6E50F7A-8D8D-42BF-B148-7F95965F7E69.jpeg

Swiping from right to left on screen using one finger will give you this choice which is more specific between the Aircraft and the Controller. Manual Home point updates

I think I have it. I believe the mavic has to take off and establish its RTH. If I am not near from the take off point, I then hit the icon on the right and it measures the distance from my first home position and then establishes my position as the return point and then it will use that point to land.

When you reset the home point, the aircraft doesn't do any kind of measuring or calculating. It just resets the home point to the new location. And when RTH is initiated, the aircraft goes to the current home point.

Be careful with that, someone here had a low battery warning and had to land on the other side of a lake shoreline. They neglected to turn off the rotors after landing and said it took off on its own and headed towards the controller while he was still on the other side of the lake and it was lost when he got to the place it landed.
This video is not at a lake but similar to what you are explaining.

Reactions: PAW
I'm surprised nobody has really answered this question. "Dynamic Home Point" only works if:

1) your RC has GPS (which the Mavic controller does not).
2) your mobile device has GPS.
3) your mobile device has an Internet connection.

So if you're out in the field, you not only have to activate this function/feature, but you have to have an Internet connection or a mobile device with GPS.

If you look at this screen capture, "X" marks the controller location, which is completely dynamic and updates perpetually.

Me and my business partner were in a car following the AC. This was using MapPilot. Sitting here at my desk, I don't know how to activate Dynamic Home Point in the Go 4 app, but assuming DJI ChinEnglish version of "Dynamic Home Point" is, indeed, a dynamic home point that perpetually updates, you will require the hardware to support this feature (see above list).

D

I'm surprised nobody has really answered this question. "Dynamic Home Point" only works if:

1) your RC has GPS (which the Mavic controller does not).
2) your mobile device has GPS.
Dynamic Home Point is not a feature of the Mavic Air. That's what the OP is flying.

I have experienced the same thing with my M2P and SC. I pressed the icon to the right (I assumed the SC) and after RTH was activated, it returned to the Home Point and NOT where I was standing. I was hoping to enable RTH to MY position because I want to start filming on boats. Any suggestions?

I have experienced the same thing with my M2P and SC. I pressed the icon to the right (I assumed the SC) and after RTH was activated, it returned to the Home Point and NOT where I was standing. I was hoping to enable RTH to MY position because I want to start filming on boats. Any suggestions?
The home point is where all RTH ends. It is GPS determined and has no relation to the controller location (where you are standing). Assuming a boat at anchor and no motion, you’d have to take off very, and likely dangerously, close. Hand catching on a boat has been discussed in a number of threads and YouTube vids. If you are practiced in hand catching that could be a viable option for your proposed use. From my own experience I recommend Kevlar gloves if you do this due to unpredictable motions of the boat.

I pressed the icon to the right (I assumed the SC) and after RTH was activated, it returned to the Home Point and NOT where I was standing
If the home point was really reset when you pressed that icon, it should have returned to that location. After attempting to reset the home point, verify that the "H" on the map in DJI GO moved to the new location.

Reactions: Thomas B
The RTH function should always make the drone return to the last marked home point. If you need the drone to return to a different location (like your current location), you'll need to manually reset the home point before initiating RTH.
I thought there was a way to return to where the home point or to where the controller was such as when taking off from one point on a boat, sailing away, then having the drone return to where the controller is now located.
I've never used that function, but pretty sure it exists.
I think you may have to have GPS device

I thought there was a way to return to where the home point or to where the controller was such as when taking off from one point on a boat, sailing away, then having the drone return to where the controller is now located.
I've never used that function, but pretty sure it exists.
I think you may have to have GPS device
There is RTH.... Just not how it works, home point is GPS determined by the drone and fixed until changed. It is independent of controller location. It cannot be made to migrate. As sai above it can be changed to a new static point.

There is RTH.... Just not how it works, home point is GPS determined by the drone and fixed until changed. It is independent of controller location. It cannot be made to migrate. As sai above it can be changed to a new static point.
Maybe I misunderstand. Maybe it's the same thing. Maybe I'm confused.
This is what I was referring to.

You noticed in the video that to change the home point in every case the pilot had to update the home point. When he tried w/o updating home point he had to abort landing since it was coming down in the lake.
There is no auto magically resetting dynamic home point. Home point can be reset, but it will not adjust if the desired homepoint and/or pilot/controller move.

Can you change it - yes!
Can it change itself? - no.

Is that what you’re asking? See images from the video below:
64FE0B44-BFE0-4B60-A9CF-B2087C5918B3.png
0D268488-B0BD-46BF-9CB4-482476AADD25.png

Very confusing
Manually resetting the home point to a new location during a flight is what this thread is about.
There is no dynamic (one that updates itself) home point feature.
"Dynamic Home Point" only works if:
There is no dynamic home point (except when using the auto-track feature).
I don't know how to activate Dynamic Home Point in the Go 4 app, but assuming DJI ChinEnglish version of "Dynamic Home Point" is, indeed, a dynamic home point that perpetually updates, you will require the hardware to support this feature (see above list).
That assumption is the problem.
DJI did have a real dynamic home point for the Phantom 2 series but none since then.
DJI's documentation contains a few mistakes and they have continued to use the term "dynamic home point" even though there is none.

"Dynamic Home Point" only works if:
So if you're out in the field, you not only have to activate this function/feature, but you have to have an Internet connection or a mobile device with GPS.
1. There is no dynamic home point
2. If there was, it would not need an internet connection.

The drone will always return to the current home point when RTH is initiated. There is no way to make the drone return to the remote controller's location.

Note: If you're flying a drone that supports the Dynamic Home Point feature, that feature automatically reset the home point to the mobile devices current location every X seconds. Dynamic Home Point can only be used when using Gesture Control (if you have a Spark) or when flying in ActiveTrack mode.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adsjr