DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH

the Nomer

Reactions
So I have the mini 2 and next week I will be on a sailing trip in the Bahamas. I would like to know the best point for RTH. It may be easier to fly and land while we’re anchored or docked somewhere but what if we’re on the move and sailing? I know it doesn’t hav a follow me mode so need the best options.

Thanks

So I have the mini 2 and next week I will be on a sailing trip in the Bahamas. I would like to know the best point for RTH. It may be easier to fly and land while we’re anchored or docked somewhere but what if we’re on the move and sailing?
Do not use RTH on a boat.
Even at anchor a boat swings around with the tide and the breeze so your homepoint is likely to be in the water.
You'll need to bring it back yourself and hand catch the drone, which will require some practice on solid ground before attempting it on a boat.
If the boat is sailing, you should reset the homepoint several times through the flight to prevent a situation where the drone zooms off to where it was launched because the battery has only enough juice for the long flight back there.
It doesn't matter whether you reset the homepoint to the location of the drone or the controller because you are not going to be landing with RTH.
You just want to keep the homepoint somewhere close to the boat and not off in the distance.

It doesn't matter whether you reset the homepoint to the location of the drone or the controller because you are not going to be landing with RTH.
What would happen in the event of a disconnection?
In general, might an RTH towards what was the controller's position stand a better chance of bringing the drone within control range than an RTH to what was the drone's position?

@the Nomer incidentally bear in mind the speed and direction of both the boat and the wind when flying the drone from a moving boat. I.e. be wary of sailing 'up wind' or "close to the wind" and flying the drone downwind etc..

Last edited:
What would happen in the event of a disconnection?
A loss of signal is an unlikely event flying over water, but if it happened and Failsafe Action was on the default setting of RTH, the drone would head for the last recorded homepoint.
In general, might an RTH towards what was the controller's position stand a better chance of bringing the drone within control range than an RTH to what was the drone's position?
It wouldn't make much difference, but if you are thinking one would be closer to the boat than the other, that would depend on how the boat had moved since the homepoint reset.
It's unlikely it would make any effective difference.

Thanks for all the tips guys. I think I will try and fly during the times were anchored or just sitting at sea. I don’t want to lose this and with no follow me I will wait until we stopped to get good shots of the surroundings. I don’t want I lose it and with the possibility of a disconnect I’d be screwed

I don’t want I lose it and with the possibility of a disconnect I’d be screwed
Losing connection is unlikely and would be the least of your concerns out on the water.
But it's an unforgiving environment and not the place to be learning new techniques.

Not arguing with Meta 4 in fact I would agree that a disconnection is unlikely over empty sea, unless you fly out to 'extreme' distance. But you want to keep the possibility in your mind. There are you-tubes showing boat 'landings'/hand-catches on board racing racing-yachts, challenging stuff but at the extreme end of the range.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead