DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH

Got a PC? Just turn the controller on and plug it in to USB port and the files are in the internal shared storage. Same if you plug it into a phone.
I am having difficulty doing this. I have no problem doing so from my RC-Pro or even my older Smart Controller. But my efforts keep failing in doing so from my new RC. Can you give me some help?
Did you have to adjust any settings on either the controller or your Windows machine to make the connection?
Here is what I see after I plug my USB-C to USB-A cable into the charging port:

20230126_104959a2.jpg

When I tap for more options, I see this:

Screenshot_20230126-104648.jpg

Screenshot_20230126-104659.jpg

The choices are greyed out so I cannot change them.
Of course, when I check my "drives"

Screenshot 2023-01-26 105451.jpg

I find no trace of the connection to the RC. These are all my normal "drives".
Windows 11 and RC firmware is current.
Any ideas?

Hover in place at loss of signal doesn't sound like a winning option.
It's the option where you need a catcher's mitt if you can't re-establish the radio link. Friend of mine had to watch his brand new Mavic Pro Platinum hang at 100' AGL until the battery died. The drone was right over a really old electricity sub-station... Even when he was almost directly beneath it the control link still failed to connect.

I find no trace of the connection to the RC. These are all my normal "drives".
When you connect any Android device to the computer, you have to set the connection for transferring files.
You do that by swiping downward from the top of the screen and selecting the appropriate setting.
i-jCJfJd9-L.jpg

It's the option where you need a catcher's mitt if you can't re-establish the radio link. Friend of mine had to watch his brand new Mavic Pro Platinum hang at 100' AGL until the battery died. The drone was right over a really old electricity sub-station... Even when he was almost directly beneath it the control link still failed to connect.
:oops: I left mine hover 'til battery death at about 2', whatever the spot is where it pauses when landing. It said (in English) something like, "Emergency landing, battery level low", and it landed. Dying at about 100' sounds terrible.

When you connect any Android device to the computer, you have to set the connection for transferring files.
You do that by swiping downward from the top of the screen and selecting the appropriate setting.
i-jCJfJd9-L.jpg
I do just that and the two screenshots show what I see. I am unable to change the USB settings as they are inactive.

Moving the sticks is not intended to "Cancel" RTH You can still control the drone with the sticks, but to cancel RTH you must hit the RTH button again, or the red X on the control panel screen.
With certain drones stick movements DO cancel on on going RTH. From memory the Mini 2 cancels the RTH if you mess with the throttle during the climb (a VERY BAD IDEA I think) and full reverse may cancel the RTH during the horizontal flight home. I don'y remember about other drones.

With certain drones stick movements DO cancel on on going RTH. From memory the Mini 2 cancels the RTH if you mess with the throttle during the climb (a VERY BAD IDEA I think) and full reverse may cancel the RTH during the horizontal flight home. I don'y remember about other drones.
If so, I have never read that in any of the DJI material. Thanks for the update.

My manual says that it drops out of RTH if you pull the pitch stick down.

but only in the climb phase, correct?
No, that would be the throttle stick, according to the manual. Pitch stick if flying home. It's in the attention section on page 15 of the Air 2S manual. I tried to copy and paste the section but it won't let me.

No, that would be the throttle stick, according to the manual. Pitch stick if flying home. It's in the attention section on page 15 of the Air 2S manual. I tried to copy and paste the section but it won't let me.
oooops my mistake, misread, or something, your post, sorry.

Moving the sticks is not intended to "Cancel" RTH You can still control the drone with the sticks, but to cancel RTH you must hit the RTH button again, or the red X on the control panel screen.
LOL.. you caused me to go to the manual for my Air 2. I found nothing about the sticks cancelling the RTH, so I wondered where the heck I got that idea. I guess I was believing my lying eyes;). Anyway even though it's colder that heck and the wind is howling I had to go out and try it. The sticks caused cancellation of the RTH six straight time without fail. Maybe my controller is unique.

Reactions: GFields
Thanks, I understand how it works, but on my flight it did not return when it lost transmission
Keep in mind that just because you lose video transmission, you usually will still have flight control and losing video transmission will have no affect on RTH. If you have RTH enabled and set to actually come home (as opposed to hover or descend which can also be selected) you can get it home. In a worse case scenario when you lose total control with your remote, simply shutting off the remote will trigger RTH on your aircraft and it will come back to it's take-off point (assuming it had GPS on take off and the home point was recorded) and land.

Reactions: minipro3
Keep in mind that just because you lose video transmission, you usually will still have flight control and losing video transmission will have no affect on RTH. If you have RTH enabled and set to actually come home (as opposed to hover or descend which can also be selected) you can get it home. In a worse case scenario when you lose total control with your remote, simply shutting off the remote will trigger RTH on your aircraft and it will come back to it's take-off point (assuming it had GPS on take off and the home point was recorded) and land.
^^^. exactly, I've been playing around with this and when I loose transmission , no RTH, BUT if I keep on the throttle , even though the screen is frozen I can see my distance changing on the bottom of the screen and eventually the drone loses connection with remote and initiates a RTH. So, first I get a warning on screen about poor transmission, then as I continue, screen freezes, then eventually loses connection completely and a get a RTH.
I have also been trying all the stick movements when a RTH is initiated. The only stick movement that cancels RTH is reverse. This is on the Mini3pro

Reactions: 3rdof5
^^^. exactly, I've been playing around with this and when I loose transmission , no RTH, BUT if I keep on the throttle , even though the screen is frozen I can see my distance changing on the bottom of the screen and eventually the drone loses connection with remote and initiates a RTH. So, first I get a warning on screen about poor transmission, then as I continue, screen freezes, then eventually loses connection completely and a get a RTH.
I have also been trying all the stick movements when a RTH is initiated. The only stick movement that cancels RTH is reverse. This is on the Mini3pro

I know it's a stupid question but why can't they have that command consistent across the platform?

I know it's a stupid question but why can't they have that command consistent across the platform?
Actually as far as I know it has been consistent as back as far as the P2. Keep in mind that video transmission and Aircraft control signals are two separate systems and do not interact with eachother. When one fails the other is not affected. It all comes down to your preflight plan and making the necessary corrections/settings that include your RTH plans. There are times, particularly with older models that do not have obstacle avoidance in RTH that you would want your drone to make no movements (hover setting) when control signal is lost as any movement in your particular photo environment would cause an uncontrolled collision. I change RTH settings depending on my Flightplan for maximum safety and ensuring my bird will be retrievable if anything goes sideways.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO