DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rubber Band to stabilize Props in storage

The only damage I have ever done to a prop was caused by prop guards. The trailing edge is thin and therefore fragile and pretty easy to tear. . I doubt if constantly taking the props on and off does them Or the attach points any favor but that’s me.... if it ain’t broke don’t fix it

Reactions: Drgnfli
I just watched a You Tube video about accessories that are available for the Mavic 2 Pro such as filters, shades, etc. One of the recommendations was a commercial product to stabilize the props. It gave me the idea to just try a simple rubber band. What do you all think about this (look at images). Anyone have any thoughts, cautions, dangers?
I have been using the big rubber bands for a year at least. It seems the blades are already tight to the body so it just keeps them in place. I use the original fly moore bag it came in and the band helps when I pull it up out of the bag.

I just watched a You Tube video about accessories that are available for the Mavic 2 Pro such as filters, shades, etc. One of the recommendations was a commercial product to stabilize the props. It gave me the idea to just try a simple rubber band. What do you all think about this (look at images). Anyone have any thoughts, cautions, dangers?
Been using rubber band in storage for 2.5 years, no problem.

For my Mini, I just use the top of an old sock - easy and protects the props.

Guess what, in this picture where you can read DJI Mavic at the black bag, there is a DJI Mavic in it.? It comes from PGYTech.View attachment 88187

Maybe Pgytech get these from DJI ?
Not sure . . . they are a standard DJI product and ours looks same writing . . .

Mavic Pro Aircraft Sleeve

AUD$12, really cheap protection for an ipad mini or an aircraft.
Might get one for my M1P too, I do have trouble with sliding mine in and out of the backpack and the gimbal bubble rubber cap coming off sometimes.

Maybe Pgytech get these from DJI ?
Not sure . . . they are a standard DJI product and ours looks same writing . . .

Mavic Pro Aircraft Sleeve

AUD$12, really cheap protection for an ipad mini or an aircraft.
Might get one for my M1P too, I do have trouble with sliding mine in and out of the backpack and the gimbal bubble rubber cap coming off sometimes.
What I have read and learn is that the company Pgytech is working very close to DJI and they have accessories very fast out to the market after the drones were released.

get rid of the propellers first because they are very easily removed and you get a much more beautiful visual result than seeing that elastic so obviously and my opinion. and if you do not have to use it for so long it is preferable to remove the propellers so you avoid holding the springs that push the propellers under pressure, since you don't have to use it you don't find it better to do so? ............. .....

I do have to take issue with one thing written by FoxhallGH above... springs are not made week by being compressed they were actually made week eventually by being compressed and released. I learned this on gun forums in discussing whether to keep magazines loaded with ammo or not...

Yep! I was going to tell Foxhall the same thing that I learned the same way - guns!

I do have to take issue with one thing written by FoxhallGH above... springs are not made week by being compressed they were actually made week eventually by being compressed and released. I learned this on gun forums in discussing whether to keep magazines loaded with ammo or not...
Good point - however, I did not say the springs were made weak. My point was that if you keep a spring under constant compression, it will lose some of its 'strength' i.e. if you compare it to an original, it will be shorter. Although it's the first point in my list, it's not the most important. I would put the physical inspection of the prop's first, and the storage of the prop's in a way that they don't distort as second in importance to me.

Agreed, being “kept under compression” is a myth. With props fitted the springs are holding the props up in locked position with little compression. The weakening compression comes from pushing down to release the props, if they are likely to become weak at all that is!

I suspect the springs are actually good enough to just leave the props on . . . IMHO ?

I bought a length of 3/4" black waist elastic at a fabric store and stitched a section of Velcro to each end (one type on top and the opposite type on the bottom). This material is very stretchy and soft so no scratching the Mavic. A length of about 12 inches provided the proper tension which can be adjusted by changing the amount of Velcro overhang when latching. Works great and pops on and off - keeps the blades in place and looks good. One issue I have with rubber bands is that they give off sulfur (rubber is cured with the stuff) and they can be tight if not the right length; and then they go bad in a year or two.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimwinter