DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rule of 3rds

Porky

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hi all, I’m no pro photographer but would like some input on this pic I took yesterday. I’m trying to improve my skills, self learning So i thought I’d try “the rule of thirds” I set the grid on the go app & went out flying.

Am I on the right track or totally wrong, any help or feed back would be much appreciated.

Here’s the photoThumbswayup

46B06D9B-4F97-4426-86F3-C211B9061762.jpeg

I think it’s great. Nice colour. Try the same scene from a number of angles (from ground level to top down) and see what tickles your fancy.

Have a gander at @badmouche on the ‘gram. I use the rule of 3rds semi religiously. 4E034B6C-DF4A-4EEC-B3A5-E961BC726C16.jpeg

Reactions: Porky
Cracking photoThumbswayup so it looks like I’m sort of on the right track then. Next time I’ll try with different angles & see what photo pops;) love how sharp & detailed your photo is, are you using any software to enhance the pic?

Last edited:
The rule of 3rds applies to the main subject in the photo. For instance, a sunset is normally shot with the sun or brightest part on the left or right third of the photo. In your example, the transmission tower would be the main subject. Imagine a windmill where the tower is and reduce the foreground a bit and you would have a more interesting photo.

The rule of 3rds applies to the main subject in the photo. For instance, a sunset is normally shot with the sun or brightest part on the left or right third of the photo. In your example, the transmission tower would be the main subject. Imagine a windmill where the tower is and reduce the foreground a bit and you would have a more interesting photo.

So I’m not to far off understanding the rule of 3rds. When you say “reduce the foreground” if I move the camera up surely that would put the grid out so the sky wouldn’t be right via the grid. Am I being a idiot. Could you explain how to do that?

So I’m not to far off understanding the rule of 3rds. When you say “reduce the foreground” if I move the camera up surely that would put the grid out so the sky wouldn’t be right via the grid. Am I being a idiot. Could you explain how to do that?
Your photo has two things fighting for attention; the tower and the beach. If you tilt up a bit you reduce the beach and increase the sky, making the tower the center of attention. You could also zoom in a bit to increase the focus on the tower. Of course, this tower is not an interesting subject unless you are in that industry but you get my gist.

The photo @badbrain took is interesting because the boat is in the lower third and there is nothing in the rest of the picture fighting for attention.

Reactions: badbrain and Porky
Your photo has two things fighting for attention; the tower and the beach. If you tilt up a bit you reduce the beach and increase the sky, making the tower the center of attention. You could also zoom in a bit to increase the focus on the tower. Of course, this tower is not an interesting subject unless you are in that industry but you get my gist.

The photo @badbrain took is interesting because the boat is in the lower third and there is nothing in the rest of the picture fighting for attention.

Many thanks for your help, goes along way. I’ve taken all your comments on board & I’ll put them to use next time I fly.

I’ll post my next test photos on this thread, would be interesting to see if I can improve things.

Again many thanks

Cracking photoThumbswayup so it looks like I’m sort of on the right track then. Next time I’ll try with different angles & see what photo pops;) love how sharp & detailed your photo is, are you using any software to enhance the pic?

Definitely. I try and put interesting things in the bottom third or top third of the photo(left, right, or centre).

Only use Lightroom for post editing, just to play with shadows and colour really.

I think it’s great. Nice colour. Try the same scene from a number of angles (from ground level to top down) and see what tickles your fancy.

Have a gander at @badmouche on the ‘gram. I use the rule of 3rds semi religiously. View attachment 49698
I have seen a lot of colours in sky but never green like this- not saying its bad but it does keep drawing the eye away from the subject as it doesn't make sense, a little too far from the realms of reality.

are you using any software to enhance the pic?
If he isn't, that's a nasty chemical smog.
Perhaps enhance wasn't quite the right word
When you say “reduce the foreground” if I move the camera up surely that would put the grid out so the sky wouldn’t be right via the grid. Am I being a idiot. Could you explain how to do that?
Just because the camera recorded all those pixels, doesn't mean you have to keep them.
You can chop off some to make for a different composition.
Here's one way you could crop the image to reduce the foreground.
i-zw6Pqxv-XL.jpg

If he isn't, that's a nasty chemical smog.
Perhaps enhance wasn't quite the right word

Just because the camera recorded all those pixels, doesn't mean you have to keep them.
You can chop off some to make for a different composition.
Here's one way you could crop the image to reduce the foreground.
i-zw6Pqxv-XL.jpg
Thanks for your input, taken on broad. Just can’t wait to get back in the air & try again. Last couple of days here in the uk it’s been very windy so at the mo I’m grounded:(

I’ve been playing;)

I’ve just taken one of my old photos & played around with it in post. It’s not a brilliant photo but I’ve reduced the background (cropped)
Does this look ok or am I still a million miles way?160AE2FE-D391-46AC-9F5D-EB071CCB5B39.jpeg

Does this look ok or am I still a million miles way?
The clouds and light are nice but the photo is all background.
It really needs a subject for the viewer to focus on.

Last edited:
The clouds and light are nice but the photo is all background.
It really needs a subject for the viewer to focus on.

I’ll need to take more scenery pics with a subject in, ive not got any at the mo. So if I was just taking a photo with no subject in it, like the above pic how would I make it look better?

Better. A little less sea, a little more sky, and straighten the horizon.

Blimey you’ve got good eyes;) I thought the horizon looked straight until I put it back into the photo editor, think I need to calibrate my gimbal...
I should be able to do the adjustments you mentioned & re post the photo.

A good break down

Good afternoon, evening morning or night my friend;) yep I’ve been looking on YouTube & found some vids regarding the rule of 3rds. I’ll check out the one you’ve posted. I find them very interesting.

It’s also very nice to get Input from people that know how also. They can tell you with your own pics where I’m going wrong. It’s helping me out big time.

Reactions: Slim.slamma
Much. Nice picture.
Many thanks for your help. I now, well I think.. getting a better understanding of the “rule of 3rds)

I need to get out flying & take more photos but for now I’m grounded due to the weather.

If it’s ok I’ll post more here to see how I’m getting on once the weather changes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikiran Villa