DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rules to enter Honduras "Roatan" with mavic

(Bumping this thread, 'cause it's been nearly 3 years since the last post, and things do change...)

Anyone with any recent experience bringing your drone to, and flying it, in Honduras – specifically the Bay Islands, Roatan and other islands nearby?

I'm planning a dive trip to Guanaja (Bay Islands, near Roatan) in February/March 2023. Our international flight arrives in Roatan. Will be staying at a small, fairly isolated dive resort. I'm pretty confident the resort management will be perfectly OK with me flying there (will check with them to be sure) but I'm more looking for guidance/lived experience with regard to 1) the ceremonies when going through customs on arrival in Roatan (I note someone recently posted their experience getting hit up for a "drone import tax" upon arrival in Mexico...yeah, I know Honduras is not Mexico), and 2) the national drone regs.

From what I have been able to find, Honduras appears to be a fairly drone-friendly location, with minimal, reasonable regulation of recreational use for small drones, even for visitors. I'll be bringing a Mini 3 Pro, following what passes for most common "best practices" in most places, and of course respecting common-sense courtesy.

I *think* that should be enough to ensure no hassles, but just wanted to see if there was anyone here with recent experiences with drones there. Thanks for any insights.

(Bumping this thread, 'cause it's been nearly 3 years since the last post, and things do change...)

Anyone with any recent experience bringing your drone to, and flying it, in Honduras – specifically the Bay Islands, Roatan and other islands nearby?

I'm planning a dive trip to Guanaja (Bay Islands, near Roatan) in February/March 2023. Our international flight arrives in Roatan. Will be staying at a small, fairly isolated dive resort. I'm pretty confident the resort management will be perfectly OK with me flying there (will check with them to be sure) but I'm more looking for guidance/lived experience with regard to 1) the ceremonies when going through customs on arrival in Roatan (I note someone recently posted their experience getting hit up for a "drone import tax" upon arrival in Mexico...yeah, I know Honduras is not Mexico), and 2) the national drone regs.

From what I have been able to find, Honduras appears to be a fairly drone-friendly location, with minimal, reasonable regulation of recreational use for small drones, even for visitors. I'll be bringing a Mini 3 Pro, following what passes for most common "best practices" in most places, and of course respecting common-sense courtesy.

I *think* that should be enough to ensure no hassles, but just wanted to see if there was anyone here with recent experiences with drones there. Thanks for any insights.
Flew there earlier in the year not a single issue at all. Mind the airport on the southwest-ish side of the island. Locals and authorities won’t hassle you or give you a hard time.

The West End was my favorite place to fly and one of my favorite places I’ve ever been in the Caribbean (I lived in the northeast Caribbean for a while too so that is saying something).

Roatan is completely different from mainland Honduras and the locals make that clear. Nobody in immigration will be looking to take or tax your drone. I tell people all the time just avoid bringing large hard sided cases, and pack drone equipment with other photography gear and you will be fine.

• Love
Reactions: Aerophile
Flew there earlier in the year not a single issue at all. Mind the airport on the southwest-ish side of the island. Locals and authorities won’t hassle you or give you a hard time.

The West End was my favorite place to fly and one of my favorite places I’ve ever been in the Caribbean (I lived in the northeast Caribbean for a while too so that is saying something).

Roatan is completely different from mainland Honduras and the locals make that clear. Nobody in immigration will be looking to take or tax your drone. I tell people all the time just avoid bringing large hard sided cases, and pack drone equipment with other photography gear and you will be fine.
Perfect. All good common sense practices, which I fully intend to follow.

I'll be on Guanaja, which is much smaller and much less developed than Roatan (which though a bit touristy, is already somewhat off the beaten path). Actually, I'll be on a tiny little islet off the coast of Guanaja...so this place is extremely isolated, just about an "ends of the earth" location). Yep, of course I will mind the airport (there's an airstrip on Guanaja, but no jets, no international flights, it only has a few small prop planes on a busy day) and will be respectful of the dozen or so other people on the little island with us.

Many thanks for your update - it's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Looking forward to flying (and diving) there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J