DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Runaways

Status
Not open for further replies.

abcdefg

Reactions
Drone has uncommamded flight characteristics. Drone has unusually short battery life. Drone has distance command problems. This is to name a few. Out of the box it worked but only with the gigs above. Two uncommamded runaways. The last one was in a flyway in Class G airspace within 5 nm of an airport. Drone went rogue/un commanded and climbed to an altitude beyond set limits. Drone then was unresponsive on all axis (x y and z). For a period of 5 minutes drone flew and climbed and descended against operator commands. Drone crashed against set limits of home station within 1nm. Set-up. Clear day. Light wind. Temperatures in the high 30’s to low 40’s. Updates current for both drone and command send and receive device. Batteries better than 2/3 for all sets. GPS signal better than 5 satellites. Cell signal 4g strong for both send and receive. Cell location greater than 6 miles away and less than 10 miles with line of sight coverage. No in view obstacles between sender and receiving units. Conclusion: Send and receive devices have proper signals, battery life all sets. Drone is unable to respond to commamds. Drone flew autonomously and umcommamded. Crash site beyond the set limis for Home station.

You will need to attach/send in the log files for the flight so we can look at them and decipher what happened.
But at first blush, Was the home point recorded when you booted up the AC and let it aquire sats?
Did you hear the nice lady say "The home point has been recorded, please check it on the map"?

All preflight parameters were set prior to this flight. Drone departed from commanded flight and made autonomous flight. I will not be sending in log files as i will keep them. However I will do two things. One, I will return the drone to the Costco of purchase to receive my refund and two, i will include this thread ti show Costco risk vs benefit and how this product has the ability to create a flight hazard and damage or worse yet take an aircraft out of the sky

• Wow
Reactions: MAVE (Little bird)
All preflight parameters were set prior to this flight. Drone departed from commanded flight and made autonomous flight. I will not be sending in log files as i will keep them. However I will do two things. One, I will return the drone to the Costco of purchase to receive my refund and two, i will include this thread ti show Costco risk vs benefit and how this product has the ability to create a flight hazard and damage or worse yet take an aircraft out of the sky
This with flying drones seems, out from your description, to be a new thing for you..?

Without sharing the flight log from a flight as you describe, no one here will be able to tell anything & your first thread here will be totally worthless & at best contain bucket loads of speculations.

Go here --> DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help and upload the flight log that is stored in the mobile device you flew with ... they describe where to find it in your phone if you scroll down a bit. Once you've uploaded the log they provide you with a link ... share that in a new post here.

This with flying drones seems, out from your description, to be a new thing for you..?

Without sharing the flight log from a flight as you describe, no one here will be able to tell anything & your first thread here will be totally worthless & at best contain bucket loads of speculations.

Go here --> DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help and upload the flight log that is stored in the mobile device you flew with ... they describe where to find it in your phone if you scroll down a bit. Once you've uploaded the log they provide you with a link ... share that in a new post here.
"This with flying drones seems, out from your description, to be a new thing for you..?"

Yeah, I saw a couple read flags in the OP first post. And the last statement in his last post tells even more....,.

New thing meaning "new to flying drones" ? No. New to having these problems, with this mini yes, but it was expected. Outside this forum and working with other professional operators. Problems and occurrences with a three hundred plus dollar drone on special from the neighborhood Costco. No exception to the technology. This is not a rant. This information is dedicated to those that fly the DJI technology. After thorough examination of all flight parameters, it has been determined a failure occurred. It happened outside the sender link and within the receiver hardware. Read the initial post to see what actually happened. This being said, "a hazard exists". Be careful and fly with acute awareness especially in sensitive areas.

Why would he think a cell signal is used in controlling his Mavic Mini?

Not posting the flight log to allow real analysis tends to lead people to believe the flight occurred in an area possibly protected by anti drone technology.

Last edited:
Not this thread because it will be gone unless you post the flight log for review. Please review our forum rules regarding beefs with vendors.

New thing meaning "new to flying drones" ? No. New to having these problems, with this mini yes, but it was expected. Outside this forum and working with other professional operators. Problems and occurrences with a three hundred plus dollar drone on special from the neighborhood Costco. No exception to the technology. This is not a rant. This information is dedicated to those that fly the DJI technology. After thorough examination of all flight parameters, it has been determined a failure occurred. It happened outside the sender link and within the receiver hardware. Read the initial post to see what actually happened. This being said, "a hazard exists". Be careful and fly with acute awareness especially in sensitive areas.
The geniuses here could have easily told you the exact issue(s), had you only provided the logs. I'm not sure why you bothered posting if you weren't looking for help. Anyway, good luck

GPS signal better than 5 satellites................Cell signal 4g strong for both send and receive...............This information is dedicated to those that fly the DJI technology. After thorough examination of all flight parameters, it has been determined a failure occurred.

That GPS count is very low, I don't think my drone's lock on under either 7 or 9, did yours? I would consider 12 to 14 low. With a Mavic style drone low 20s would be normal and I have seen as many as 28.
Of what relevance is the cell signal, as far as I know it is not used. In fact many folks switch their phones to airplane mode or use phones/tablets with no cell coverage.

Your posts are written in a way that few people will bother to try to understand.

I would say you wasted your time making the posts, they wont educate anyone and as to any conclusions you draw, what use are they? You provide nothing to back them up apart from jargon.

As for "I will not be sending in log files as i will keep them" that's puzzling, sending logs need not delete the originals.

Last edited by a moderator:
New thing meaning "new to flying drones" ? No.
Sorry, but the language you used is odd and the things that feel are important details are largely irrelevant.
It's very hard to believe that you have any familiarity with drone flying from what you've written.
Read the initial post to see what actually happened.
Read three times and all I can tell is that you don't understand what happened to the drone.
This being said, "a hazard exists". Be careful and fly with acute awareness especially in sensitive areas.
This reads like you are warning other users, but it's impossible to tell what you are warning about.
Perhaps there was a genuine (rare) fault with your drone.
Perhaps operator inexperience and /or confusion was a factor.
But there's nothing in your warning that could be even slightly helpful to those who fly what has proved to be a very reliable drone.

GPS signal better than 5 satellites.
I would hope so.
No DJI drone will go into P-GPS mode or record a homepoint with less than 5 sats.
Usually it will require more than double that.
Cell signal 4g strong for both send and receive. Cell location greater than 6 miles away and less than 10 miles with line of sight coverage.
Completely irrelevant information.
No in view obstacles between sender and receiving units. Conclusion: Drone is unable to respond to commamds. Drone flew autonomously and umcommamded. Crash site beyond the set limits for Home station.
You clearly have no ability to tell what caused your incident.
An explanation of what actually happened and why would probably be found in your recorded flight data.
Analysis of the recorded flight data (by members here), could probably identify the cause of your incident and provide useful information to prevent similar happening in future.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

If you want help

GPS signal better than 5 satellites.
5 satellites aren't enough. The aircraft usually will not record a Home Point without 12. And you make no statement as to time of day or if the batteries were warmed prior to flight - the mini is spec'd down to 32f, 0C; and the manual suggests warming the batteries when they are cold. But lack of GPS is enough for a fun time as the drone drifts away on the wind.

Reactions: DoomMeister
I will not be sending in log files as i will keep them.
You can still keep your logs and share them (if you wanted to find out what actually happened).
However I will do two things. One, I will return the drone to the Costco of purchase to receive my refund and two, i will include this thread ti show Costco risk vs benefit and how this product has the ability to create a flight hazard and damage or worse yet take an aircraft out of the sky.
This thread won't show anything to anyone, except that your drone crashed for unknown reasons.
And going by your posting here, I'd guess that operator errors may have been a significant factor.
It's quite possible that there was nothing at all wrong with the drone, but without data to show what really happened, we'll never know.

Sorry guys the OP obviously isn’t going to post his logs and
not giving him no more chances. Without them there’s no need
in this thread.and if you do take it back to Costco @abcdefg with this thread be sure to tell them by not showing your logs here as was said your issue was most likely Pilot Error.

CLOSED​
And as normal you have a issue with that feel free to message me or doomMeister and we well explain to you how it works here 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98