DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rust from salty air? (flying on an ocean beach)

Xtreme Drone Pilot

Reactions
So, I made a few flights on the California coast, and there was a lot of haze in the air from the waves crashing on the shore and filling the air with micro-droplets of salty water. I found my UV/ND filters and props' leading edges dusted in salt. Now I'm a bit worried if this salty air got inside and left the corroding residue on the electronic parts and motors. To worry or not to worry, that is the question! Any advice from pilots who fly a lot on beaches?

I fly over the ocean a lot but never lower than about 30ft and always high above any sea spray.

Whats done is done. I cannot think of any good way of getting out the salt residue that does not involve tearing the Mavic apart. I would just keep flying and try not to get any more of it on the Mavic. Likely affected parts can be the motors, the gimbal assembly and the internal fan. The circuit board is coated so that should be fine. Just fly it and keep monitoring it's behavior. If you don't have DJI refresh I highly suggest that you invest in it just in case.

Rob

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Salt air will do damage over time to metal parts. I'd do a good wipe down the entire exterior after flying -- not much you can do beyond that unless you wanna crack her open.

Wd40 displaces water, I used to use it all the time to rinse out servos, Rx, ESC and brushless on my RC Monterey trucks after a muddy, wet run. I'd imagine the dried salt does nothing but every time it gets moist it will corrode anything that in turned "on" or with electricity flowing at the time...

Salt corrosion is going to happen. I live on an island and even things slightly inland get corroded (USB ports on computers, screws, anything like that).
I'd say wipe the exterior with a slightly damp cloth then dry properly (do NOT blow dry as you'll vaporise salty air and blow it inside the drone). I took to storing electronics in my house in sealed ziplock bags as well.
Ultimately theres not a lot you can do, salt air is going to get inside and is going to cause corrosion. The best you can do is clean it up after a flight and avoid flying through the worst parts of it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom