DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

rust

Did you by any chance fly in rain or fog or did the drone get wet by some other means?

I have found that rust like residue on all of my drones around the prop hubs. I’m pretty sure that is not rust, but rather it’s residue from the motor’s copper windings. Whatever you do folks, do not put WD40 in/around your motors.

Reactions: dirkclod
I have found that rust like residue on all of my drones around the prop hubs. I’m pretty sure that is not rust, but rather it’s residue from the motor’s copper windings. Whatever you do folks, do not put WD40 in/around your motors.
WD 40-NOOO It has water in it I’ve rusted many gun barrels with it. Looks shiny and smooth but put it in a case for awhile and will
make you sick.

WD 40-NOOO It has water in it I’ve rusted many gun barrels with it. Looks shiny and smooth but put it in a case for awhile and will
make you sick.
With all due respect, WD-40 does not have water in it.

Most likely, your gun barrels rusted because they were being stored in a closed case - and in constant contact with the foam or other liner. Also, contrary to popular belief, WD-40 is not a lubricant nor does it leave a protective coating. It's great for dissolving rust and cleaning off gunk, but should be wiped off and followed with a proper lubricant and/or protectant oil.

And WD-40 should never be sprayed on any electronics or close-tolerance moving parts - the propellant evaporates and leaves behind gunk that will eventually dry and turn into a stiff lacquer-like substance. Also, it is not dielectric and can cause shorts on circuit boards. For electronics I use Deoxit D5.

Last edited:
Reactions: db4476 and dirkclod
With all due respect, WD-40 does not have water in it.

Most likely, your gun barrels rusted because they were being stored in a closed case - and in constant contact with the foam or other liner. Also, contrary to popular belief, WD-40 is not a lubricant nor does it leave a protective coating. It's great for dissolving rust and cleaning off gunk, but should be wiped off and followed with a proper lubricant and/or protectant oil.

And WD-40 should never be sprayed on any electronics or close-tolerance moving parts - the propellant evaporates and leaves behind gunk that will eventually dry and turn into a stiff lacquer-like substance. Also, it is not dielectric and can cause shorts on circuit boards. For electronics I use Deoxit D5.
well I had heard from several gunsmiths it did have water in it but will have to agree with you the ones that had rust and pitting were in cloth or foam cases. I would come in from hunting ,spray em down ,wipe off excess then case them. Now all I use is this
2EEE5F20-7431-40E6-A71B-82F77E5D48B7.jpeg Has a citric smell but seems to work great To wipe them down with.
All I use on my drones is these. I use Deoxit on all my battery contacts.
983DF52E-B14E-4AC5-BC39-3F501DA1C0AA.jpeg.

Reactions: umanbean
Two pages that may be of interest
WD-40 (wikipedia)

Reactions: dirkclod
Two pages that may be of interest
WD-40 (wikipedia)
Makes sense, I always and was often when I got back in my guns would be wet and used it to spay it down then wipe it off and case it. No telling how many cans I used on my Bicycle chains as a kid 😀
Guess I’m my own worst enemy. 🤷‍♂️

Makes sense, I always and was often when I got back in my guns would be wet and used it to spay it down then wipe it off and case it. No telling how many cans I used on my Bicycle chains as a kid 😀
Guess I’m my own worst enemy. 🤷‍♂️
I never had any issues with WD-40 and firearms--seems to be a pretty good solvent and rust inhibitor. I would never use it near my drone motors. Even a little residue will tend to collect dust which could negatively affect the motor operation.

Don’t use nothing around my motors unless it’s compressed air
to get dust out.

Please Do NOT use WD-40. This is NOT "oil" in ANY way. Its a chemical that only disperses water.

The "WD" in WD-40 stands for Water Dispersion. The 40 stands for the 40th time it took the designer to engineer the working product. Thats all.

You spray the WD-40 on water damaged mechanics and THEN you are to oil properly. If you dont oil after the application of WD-40 you will grind your moving parts into an unworking and locked up crunching, metalic mess.

A drone in NO WAY should EVER be subjected to either WD-40 or oil.

Reactions: d-rive

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engmarceloacs