DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sad Crash, Happy Ending

FlyGuy8675309

Reactions
Not much to the the story other than my Mavic dropped from the sky as seen in the flight data video below. I can't see an error on the data log. My only guess is a prop broke/came off, or I hit a bird or a bat.

Was VERY lucky where it landed. If this happened 5 seconds sooner, my Mavic would be in the water -- luckily it landed on the soft, marshy shoreline. Broke an arm, gimbal and some other stuff. Repair est. was $300, but DJI covered it completely. I feel very fortunate. Thumbswayup

If anyone can see anything from the video or log, please chime in.

Flight Data Video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Data log: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

I have a video similar to yours, spinning to the ground.
I assumed a blade came off because...

When it landed upside down it had 3 stubs of broken blades remaining on the MP and one blade was completely missing. The missing blade is the one I am assuming came off in flight.

I had just removed and replaced the blades to make sure they were installed correctly before taking off on a
commercial job. It was very cold and my hands weren't working too well. I'm pretty sure I just didn't get one of the blades
on correctly. This was a $400 accident/mistake after repairs.

Reactions: genesimmons
If a blade had come off in flight, I would guess that the flight logs would record an 'over rev' error. I doubt the ESC's would allow the motor to spin uncontrollably so maybe even an 'motor error, shutting down motor' error or something similar. Don't know this for a fact but I do know that almost everything operational on the drone is measured and recorded.

Reactions: Chirp
If a blade had come off in flight, I would guess that the flight logs would record an 'over rev' error. I doubt the ESC's would allow the motor to spin uncontrollably so maybe even an 'motor error, shutting down motor' error or something similar. Don't know this for a fact but I do know that almost everything operational on the drone is measured and recorded.
When a propeller is lost, you usually see the motor that lost the prop speed up quite a bit as it attempts to increase thrust where it has suddenly been lost. I haven't looked at the log yet (I'll have to fire up the Windows computer) but I'll check if any errors pop up, I don't remember any, but we'll see. As far as showing what the problem was, pitch/roll/yaw and motor RPMs will be the most useful.

I'm glad you said this bc I have been wondering what the flight logs say. All I have looked at is the animation in DJI Go.
I will do the research and figure out how to get the logs-something I haven't done yet--and will post them if there is something interesting.

I have a video similar to yours, spinning to the ground.
I assumed a blade came off because...

When it landed upside down it had 3 stubs of broken blades remaining on the MP and one blade was completely missing. The missing blade is the one I am assuming came off in flight.

I had just removed and replaced the blades to make sure they were installed correctly before taking off on a
commercial job. It was very cold and my hands weren't working too well. I'm pretty sure I just didn't get one of the blades
on correctly. This was a $400 accident/mistake after repairs.

Well when I found the Mavic there was 1/2 a prop missing and I couldn't locate it anywhere near the crash site so my thinking is it either failed or, like I said in my OP, it hit a bird or bat. This was the third consecutive flight of the evening so there wasn't anything loose.

Props to DJI for covering this, though (pun intended!) :)

Reactions: Chirp
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
earthflute