DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Safe to turn on with gimbal cover installed?

cap7ainclu7ch

Reactions
Seen some mixed reports on this with older drones, but with the USB-C connection is super convenient to transfer from the M3P directly to my laptop and I wanted to know if I need to remove the cover every time I start it up, even if its just for file transfer.

it is best to remove the cover, and also have a fan blowing air over the drone to stop it overheating

Just as a matter of interest wouldn't having the gimbal cover on also restrict a fair few ventilation slots?

I've done this a few times already by mistake - drone did not seem to mind, but I am trying to remember not to do it, just in case. Does suck that you can't turn it on to download footage without the gimbal doing it's startup sequence. I find downloading content annoying at the moment between that and the lack of Quick Transfer with the DJI-RC

I did that a couple of times. So I never forget.... it actually should say "Remove Before Turn-On".

20210308_125410.jpg

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Unless I am missing something the drone's startup procedure automatically moves the gimbal all around automatically. I don't get why anybody would want to risk overloading the gimbal.
the member asked a question if he needed to remove the cover, you could have provided a better answer instead of assuming the member was intentionally risking overloading the gimbal cover.

Reactions: Donas
Get in the habit of checking the gimbal protector before start up.
Don’t fret if you accidentally leave the protector on occasionally. I’m sure DJI have factored in the possibility of a user leaving the gimbal protector on during start up and initialisation.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
the member asked a question if he needed to remove the cover, you could have provided a better answer instead of assuming the member was intentionally risking overloading the gimbal cover.
As the gimbal is visibly rotating during start up - I assume on all DJI drones - it seems obvious not to have anything risk obstructing that free movement. Common sense should prevail. The best solution is to remove the SD card and use a card reader plugged into a PC for image management, unless using the Fly App basic editor on a smartphone or tablet.

Seen some mixed reports on this with older drones, but with the USB-C connection is super convenient to transfer from the M3P directly to my laptop and I wanted to know if I need to remove the cover every time I start it up, even if its just for file transfer.

Safe to turn on with gimbal cover installed?​

NO.

Reactions: RobW01
Yeah I'd be surprised if DJI doesn't automatically detect when the gimbal has the cover on as its clearly a very common and easy to make mistake to make (and would be silly for it to damage itself in this state), but I'll open it up when transferring files from now on.

Given the way the gimbal moves around when the drone is started up I would not risk leaving the cover on. Could prove expensive.

Mine has turned itself on by accident in my bag many times. Seems ok.
Earlier Mavics could cause damage but newer ones seem to detect resistance send just give a gimbal overload message and stop trying to move.

Much easier for it it to get knocked in a way its pressed then moved and its held in. Far easier than the recessed buttons of my other drones.

So far this week its happened to me once at the airport, once on the plane (heard it beep) and twice hiking. RC once so far.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13