DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sales Tax on Drone Photography

lookingup

Reactions
Is drone photography subject to state sales tax? If you go to a site, take pictures, then delivery them in an email, is that subject to sales tax? I'm sure that depends on what state you are doing business in (or selling to), but does anyone have a general opinion?

Reactions: R.Cowan
It depends on the state regulations. Are you selling a finished product or a service. The state will identify what is taxable. Texas department of revenue should have the information you need.

Reactions: rickmurray1989
Is drone photography subject to state sales tax? If you go to a site, take pictures, then delivery them in an email, is that subject to sales tax? I'm sure that depends on what state you are doing business in (or selling to), but does anyone have a general opinion?
Yes.
6.25% to Texas
1% to Dallas
1% to Dallas MTA

7% in North Carolina after 2016
Untaxed in North Carolina prior to 2016

It whole heartedly depends on your state. Contact a Tax Professional in your area for the correct (and legal) answer. I was told by a few different sources that it was NOT Taxable here because we delivered no "physical goods". That was wrong.

According to some sources, drone photography can be considered a taxable service or product in most states that collect sales tax. This means that if you sell photographs or videos taken by a drone to your customers, you may have to collect and remit sales tax to the state. However, there are some exceptions and variations depending on the state. For example, some states may not tax digital goods, such as photos or videos delivered electronically. Some states may also exempt certain types of photography services, such as educational, artistic, or journalistic purposes. Some states may also have different rules for shipping charges, sitting fees, or other related costs.

Therefore, it’s important to research the laws and regulations in your state before starting a drone photography business. You may also need to obtain a sales tax permit from your state’s Department of Revenue or similar agency. You may also need to comply with federal and local licensing requirements for flying a drone commercially.

My understanding in Texas is, "yes". While most of my images are delivered to clients via DropBox and sometimes USB flash drive, you are still selling a product. 8.25% for me that includes state and local taxes.

That would depend on if you get paid I would think. Any income is taxable, in Canada anyway.

That would depend on if you get paid I would think. Any income is taxable, in Canada anyway.
Subject to GST anyway, unless it's a zero-rated or exempt good or service. There are a lot of those. Ferries, child care, music lessons, legal aid… but not photography! ;)

In CT the reg is no sales tax on something delivered digitally. If I make prints and sell them, yes. GOOD LUCK, ask your accountant to be sure

In Florida I am selling a creative service, and like photography service or accounting service, not subject to sales tax. You mileage will vary per state.

Yes, it is taxable in Texas.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead