DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T290 tablet

Do you use this tablet to fly your Mini 2?

• Yes

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters

MOMini2

Reactions
Hi everyone
Received my Mini 2 Fly More Combo for Christmas this year only to be disappointed to find out that my phone will not run the DJI Fly app. I like the idea of having a dedicated device to fly with that has little personal information on it (and a bigger display) and have decided to go the tablet route. After searching, I have seen posts from flyers saying they use this tablet with DJI Fly but with the Mini not the Mini 2. I thought this poll would give me an idea on how many Mini 2 flyers use this particular tablet as it is the one I have been thinking about.

Please feel free to add comments on any issues you may have had with this tablet. I am new to this hobby and grateful for any advise/info I can get. Can't wait to get in the air!

Thanks all.

Ipad Mini 5 or 6 (released in 2021)

I thought this poll would give me an idea on how many Mini 2 flyers use this particular tablet as it is the one I have been thinking about.
A lot of DJI Fly users voted for it here. One common comment I see about it is that it's not very bright.

Reactions: MOMini2
Hi everyone
Received my Mini 2 Fly More Combo for Christmas this year only to be disappointed to find out that my phone will not run the DJI Fly app. I like the idea of having a dedicated device to fly with that has little personal information on it (and a bigger display) and have decided to go the tablet route. After searching, I have seen posts from flyers saying they use this tablet with DJI Fly but with the Mini not the Mini 2. I thought this poll would give me an idea on how many Mini 2 flyers use this particular tablet as it is the one I have been thinking about.

Please feel free to add comments on any issues you may have had with this tablet. I am new to this hobby and grateful for any advise/info I can get. Can't wait to get in the air!

Thanks all.
Forget all those addicted to Kool Aid. Dji Fly is Dji Fly; the aircraft doesn't matter as long as it is Dji Fly compatible. Here's my setup with the T290, (that is what you asked about as opposed to Kool Aid).

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0" 32 GB WiFi Android 9.0 Pie Tablet Black (2019) - SM-T290NZKAXAR $129 US at Amazon today. (Same price as Costco for the past year). You have to download the apk from dji onto the tablet; then everything works well. I usually put my devices in airplane mode. ***note the T290 and DjFly needs both a 64 bit processor and 64 bit Android. The latter is rarely mentioned. Also note that the 10" one does not work.

Attachments

• Mini OTG.jpg
    Mini OTG.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
Reactions: MOMini2
Forget all those addicted to Kool Aid. Dji Fly is Dji Fly; the aircraft doesn't matter as long as it is Dji Fly compatible. Here's my setup with the T290, (that is what you asked about as opposed to Kool Aid).

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0" 32 GB WiFi Android 9.0 Pie Tablet Black (2019) - SM-T290NZKAXAR $129 US at Amazon today. (Same price as Costco for the past year). You have to download the apk from dji onto the tablet; then everything works well. I usually put my devices in airplane mode. ***note the T290 and DjFly needs both a 64 bit processor and 64 bit Android. The latter is rarely mentioned. Also note that the 10" one does not work.

Thank you for this info.

You mentioned the need for 64 bit processor and 64 bit Android. It looks like if I stick with the model you mentioned above (SM-T290NZKAXAR) and make sure it is running Android 9, I should be ok? I have seen lots about the 64 bit issue since receiving my Mini2. Sometimes it is hard to discern if a tablet is 32 bit or 64 bit when researching.

Last edited:
I bought the samsung tab A 8" (2019) and very pleased with it, I only use it for DJI fly with my mini 2 and have deleted most other apps installed, I have updated it to V10, the only thing it hasn't got is a compass but useing it there's no problem except for not showing direction from device to drone which is no problem, in the case of loosing sight you just look bottom left at the map and it shows you where the drone is compaired to the homepoint so just follow the blue line back to homepoint, I know this works ok as I tried it today just to see if it did work,
I did put an anti glare on the screen so that there's no reflection, made a lot of difference being able to see the screen without reflection of yourself or the sky.
and yes it is a 64 bit tablet
for the price I think it's a bargain

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun