DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sand particles in motor

same victim here. had sand on my two left motors after hand launching, it tilted to the right, to crash on sand, landing on its left motors. Is there anyway to disassemble the motors manually for blower

It's possible that a small bit of sand could could enough friction to bind the motor and cause it to stop working. It might not happen immediately, but could over time. Best way to check it is to feel the motor temperature after you land. If one is hotter than the others, it's on it's way out and you should replace it.

Blow it out from the bottom, since youre missing the cover anyway. Blow it out from the top. Then tap the top of the motor on a table a few times and then the bottom. If you see any sand come out at all, repeat the process until you dont see any.

Personally, if it were my Mavic, I would replace any of the motors that got sand in them, even if they dont feel gritty any more. But if you are vigilant about checking the motor temperatures by hand after every flight, and also checking the friction every time you fly, you might be ok. If you see any error messages about motor errors or esc errors, land it and have it looked at. It's a warning sign.

Great advice!

I was searching for similar threads and I saw that you didn't recommend blowing motors in this thread: Mavic Maintenance

I'm guessing you have changed your mind on the subject?

I'm a believer in hand launch / catch, though I use it only when necessary when there is no suitable spot of ground. In my experience turning off VPS does not stop the Mavic from fighting you - turn off Landing Protection, and leave VPS on if you want.

Reactions: 5714973
so no way to disassemble to clean motors then? only option is to replace with new motors... did the blower, tapping and made several hovering to test of motors overheat. so far so good

What were your motor temps? If they were within a few degrees of eachother, you might be ok for now.

The motors were made to be disposable if damaged. Arms, which include the motors, are replaceable, and not too expensive or time consuming to do.

Reactions: 5714973
You must have been in the same place I was at the same time. I was staying at Alila next to Potato Head , up until last Sunday, and I launched my Mavic on the stone wall between the 2 properties. The security guard from Potato Head came over and wanted me to show him the unit.

Did he sign a model release? :)

I just came back from Bali, and flew my Mavic a few times. Great place to do it!
Unfortunately , I had to take off and land from the hard packed sand on the beach. Yes I know thats not ideal but circumstances required it so I could fly w/o security guards watching me.
Anyhow, I have some sand in the rear motor and at first the prop wouldn't rotate, then I blew the majority of the sand out. (Not that there was too much)
Started up well enough after that, but I had a message that there may be an issue with the motor.
Problem is, that there are still small particles in there and when I manually turn the prop, you can feel the grit.
I have also noticed that the "dust cover" on the bottom of the motor has gone.
Questions
- Can I get a spare "dust cover" for the motor?
- If there is still a small bit of sand in there, would the motor eventually seize in mid-flight causing the Mavic to crash?
- Any ides on how to get the last remnants of sand out? I'm a bit loathe using anything apart from blowing it out myself!
Thanks,

yes, the motor is on borrowed time. the real problem is one you cant see, SALT, every grain of sand is covered in it and it is right now corroding away on you're Stator. You could try a can of pressurized Electric Motor Cleaner, used by the RC Car guys but i would replace the motor saspo and buy a pad next time.

same victim here. had sand on my two left motors after hand launching, it tilted to the right, to crash on sand, landing on its left motors. Is there anyway to disassemble the motors manually for blower
Hey I know this is old, but im curious what you did to clean the sand from your motor and what the results were like? Did you find what you did worked or did you need to send it in?

Hey I know this is old, but I’m curious what you ended up doing to get the sand out of your motors? Did the compressed air thing work long term? Or did you have trouble afterwards and need to send it in for a repair?

I had an incident very similar to yours today and have removed all the sand I am aware of but not disassembled anything. Am not sure if I should try a test flight or just swallow my pride and send it in lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian