DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sandisk Ultra / Sandisk extreme. Slow SD Card?

Creek.Jumper

Reactions
Hi, I have a few of these cards for the mavic air. When I use them I see "Slow SD Card" in DJI go (near the resolution) -- What does this mean? What card should I have?

From pg. 54 of the Air manual:
upload_2018-5-9_13-20-50.png

Yes, must be U3........Mine came with a U1 and always got the slow card fault trying 4k

The maximum bitrate of the Mavic Air is 100Mbps which is 12.5 MB/s. You need a card with a minimum sustained write speed of at least 12.5 MB/s (most manufacturers are quick to advertise read speed but not write speed) and I would suggest something a fair bit faster than that for good measure, especially since prices are reasonable. Sandisk’s V30 cards are a safe bet.

I also was not able to use U1 cards, although in test with my PC these cards are showing write speeds well over 12.5MB/s (even more than 30MB/s). It seems that the method how DJI evaluates card speed is faulty ... or maybe DJI is using slow controller that handles writing to SD card ...

I still occasionally get SD Card Errors on my GoPro, and I also have a VUZE VR camera that requires a fast card for maximum bitrate capture. I went ahead and bought three 256GB Samsung EVO Plus cards - one each for my GoPro/3DR Solo, VUZE VR, and Mavic Air. They work beautifully in all of them.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-256G...=8-4&keywords=samsung+evo+plus+256gb+micro+sd

The 256GB might be more space than you really need, depending on how often you will be transferring files. Most people will copy files to their computers when they are recharging batteries, but if you're capturing video while traveling, lugging your laptop around for everything can be a hassle. Still, I wouldn't go less than 128GB.

I had the same problem with sandisk. Replaced it with a Samsung EVO 64gb that explicitly said U3 and that solved it for me.

I have good results with Samsung 128GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSD EVO

anyone tried sandisk extreme pro a1 u3? it fixed the choppy video except when I make a sharp turn.

Yes, must be U3........Mine came with a U1 and always got the slow card fault trying 4k
I find it interesting that DJI will cheap out and supply a card that will not support their product.

anyone tried sandisk extreme pro a1 u3? it fixed the choppy video except when I make a sharp turn.
Choppy video only in a sharp turn is not a card problem, it is a shutter speed problem. Use ND filters to slow down the shutter. There are many threads on this forum regarding ND filters and shutter speed.

Reactions: stberlin
Choppy video only in a sharp turn is not a card problem, it is a shutter speed problem. Use ND filters to slow down the shutter. There are many threads on this forum regarding SD filters and shutter speed.
thanks. doing some test this weekend. I do have nd filters. I hope this will fix the problem.

Ok Guys, now it still says "Slow SD Card" - but I am able to film at 4K/30. Not sure what gives here....

Mine does to. It used to not allow me to film staying it was to slow. Now it just shows up on the screen in small text. I quit filming in 4K anyway since I don't have anything to play it back on. I usually use 2.7k

I just picked up two U3 cards this week (Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB and a Samsung EVO Plus 64GB). I plan on putting both cards through their paces to see how they fair out. The Sandisk card is recommended by DJI, but they make no mention of the Samsung card. It should be noted the Samsung card was almost 50% less than the Sandisk.

Remember to format the card inside the Mavic using Go 4 and there have been reports of fake cards (card label speed faster speed than actual speed) so buy from an established seller.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661