DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

satellites

minipro3

Reactions
Often times lately on my UAV app , I get a " not good to fly " message as shown below. So how low can I go with satellites available and be safe with RTH. AND... does cloudy sky also affect Sat. availability ?
IMG_3CEB9F6D1766-1.jpeg

Don't worry about the app.

Trust the GPS on your aircraft.

If it sees enough satellites to establish a home point, go fly.

And don't be paranoid about the KP index ( solar / magnetic activity) if it shows a high reading.

I use the app myself to check the wind conditions.

Keep in mind, this a forecasted report and not live. More of a rule of thumb. 👍

Clouds don't affect GPS.

Fly safe. :)

Last edited:
Often times lately on my UAV app , I get a " not good to fly " message as shown below. So how low can I go with satellites available and be safe with RTH. AND... does cloudy sky also affect Sat. availability ?
To save me a lot of typing, just read my posts in this thread:

And clouds have no effect at all on your GPS reception.

Reactions: minipro3
Thank you, but I don't even know what that is ( above in red ) ^^^

Reactions: MA2 317
To save me a lot of typing, just read my posts in this thread:

And clouds have no effect at all on your GPS reception.
I read your info link, will start to watch my screen for Sats more closely.
If I read it correctly I only need about 6 satellites for flying safely, but should rely more on screen readings ??

I read your info link, will start to watch my screen for Sats more closely.
If I read it correctly I only need about 6 satellites for flying safely, but should rely more on screen readings ??
No ... you need a hypothetical minimum of six .... but you are always going to have many more sats than that.

Your UAV forecast extract above is showing red because you've left it in default settings so the data in the sats locked box is irrelevant..

Reactions: minipro3
I read above 16 sats gets decent dependibility
The number of satellites is almost irrelevant.
There is no magic number that is good/not good.
Read the link I posted in post #4 for a better understanding of how your drone uses GPS.

Doesn't the model of your drone and it's hardware also make a difference. The M3 for example has more GPS types, GPS, GLONASS, and BeiDou in it compared to the earlier models, so it will pick up more and is more accurate. It gives you a good to go with a higher number of SATs, while the earlier models would give you a good to go with a lower SAT count. So if I am correct, it's not a standard number of SATs, but what is required for your particular drone model. As Meta4 said, their is no magic number. Do was is right and safe for YOUR drone.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown