DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scared to buy

Was going to jump into buying a mavic in the next 2 weeks or so. and now I'm worried. After reading all the problems people are having with this complex little machine and the anguish people must go though I think I may change my mind. I was so looking forward to get into this and now I am having second thoughts. In Canada Best buy wont even take returns even if its defective. And it sounds like DJI has a lot of problems in general. With apps, trying to get tablets and phones to work, Drones coming out of the box defective. Just not sure. My heart says one thing and my brain says another.
sad.gif

Best advice is to educate yourself on this drone as much as possible. Especially when it comes to firmware updates and how to ( downgrade ) the apps software and The firmware . Having a compatible cell phone or tablet is a big key with this drone. Once you nail the combo and leave well enough alone your good to go. Fly smart, do preflight checks every time. Calibrate the compass in a field or area where there is no metal objects around. Buy it and take your time with it. Don’t get upset when you have issues , you’ll get it all figured out with the help given here. Now go get that M.P and enjoy it like we do.

This forum has 40,000+ members. Most people that post here do so because they have a question or problem. Not many people join the forum and take the time to sign on and post, "Everything is working great."

There was a poll done some months ago here on this forum, like a simple, "Are you happy with your mavic? Would you buy it again?" And I believe at the last count about 95% of the people said YES they were happy. And that doesn't even account for the thousands more mavic owners who don't even know about or use this forum.

I've had my mavic for almost a year (300+ flights) and I've never had any problems. The mavic has always performed 100% predictably and exactly as it was designed to. I crashed it good 1 time on my very first day because I was flying like an idiot and underestimated the stopping distance in sport mode. Luckily only prop damage. It survived an 80 foot drop with no other damage and still flies fine.

I still enjoy flying several times every week, weather permitting, just around my neighborhood with nothing to photograph. I was thinking about a 2nd mavic just to have a spare.

Don't let your decision to purchase be swayed by the percentage of people on this forum who have problems. That's like watching the evening news to see what a wonderful world we live in.

I agree. I was the same, should I? Shouldn’t I ? Then went for it. Best thing I ever did. I realise now that most of the problems/crashes listed by users are ‘self inflicted’ ‘own stupidity’ Learn about your craft, learn what it can and can’t do, what it will do, don’t panic and give yourself plenty of sky to fly in. DO NOT fly indoors unless you really really know what you are doing with the settings on your aircraft.

Reactions: TrayBoz
I would recommend buying the Mavic Pro to anyone who is interested. Any issues you have you can almost certainly get help or a solution here on the forums. There are so many great deals right now. If you have the money you should get it.

Well for what its worth: I bought mine about a week or so ago, and absolutely have no regrets.

I had some of the common issues, with the sd card being stuck, and an issue with the app, but it all got fixed very easy, with help of the people here.

What I really like about flying with a drone, as an avid photographer, is that I can get into videography and time lapsing, and the results I can get look very professional.

I got mine and 2 weeks later I landed it in a tree and broke the gimbal

Had to wait for parts so I got another one
Both fly great
Never a single problem

Get one!! Or two!!

Having a blast man!

play with a very cheap manual quad outside in the open and in the wind. Just for a few weeks. After that you can handle anything a Mavic will throw at you. If you never flown manual in the wind, you can easily lose your 1200$ investment in a moment of panic.

I just jumped in to the Drone world... Hoping my years of flying R/C aircraft will help with stuff like this.

I'm new to flying. I bought the mavic pro last week. I have flown it every day, and have had no issues. The firmware update was extremely easy, and I'm having a blast with this small beast. I did lose signal once and was worried, but she came home all by herself to my amazement. I just won't fly out as far as I did in my area.

Hi, I seem to be in a similar position and have been looking at drones since they appeared several years ago. i have been looking over the last few weeks at the mavic pro and also the platinum. I'm rather concerned that i will purchase one or the other and then regret my decision. ATM i can get a mavic pro for £899 or a Platinum for £1194 Is the Platinum really worth paying that much extra for?
Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

ATM i can get a mavic pro for £899 or a Platinum for £1194 Is the Platinum really worth paying that much extra for?
Are the few extra minutes of flight time and Platinum color worth the difference to you?

I guess my fear being that they are discounting the original mavic pro in order to discontinue it in the near future, that said i guess there are so many owners of the original mavic pro that there should be enough spare parts and support for if and when problems arise.

i guess there are so many owners of the original mavic pro that there should be enough spare parts and support for if and when problems arise
Right. Your original Mavic will likely be long gone before you have trouble finding parts for it.

Thanks for the quick and helpful response and i will certainly be back in the near future with drone related questions or problems.

Was going to jump into buying a mavic in the next 2 weeks or so. and now I'm worried. After reading all the problems people are having with this complex little machine and the anguish people must go though I think I may change my mind. I was so looking forward to get into this and now I am having second thoughts. In Canada Best buy wont even take returns even if its defective. And it sounds like DJI has a lot of problems in general. With apps, trying to get tablets and phones to work, Drones coming out of the box defective. Just not sure. My heart says one thing and my brain says another.
sad.gif
I bought mine 6 months ago and have had ZERO problems or issues. I love my MP and my Goggles. Too many people do dumb stuff. They think this is a video game so they do stupid things and cause the drone to crash. This is not a video game. This is a flying machine that can crash and disappear if you don't pay attention. So start off carefully and ONLY do line of sight flying for 6-10 full batteries. Practice until you can control the drone by looking at it and not the controller or your phone. Make is so that the joysticks and buttons are as familiar as are your windshield wiper / turn signals / radio in your car. Once you get that comfort level then you can start being more adventuresome. You will have weeks and months of enjoyment without crashing. Practice landings into small spaces or onto small table. Try flying and landing with sensors off. Learn how to grab your MP so you can shut it down without landing. Then you are ready for the wild and will become a Jedi Pilot.

Reactions: kiwi flyer
..... Practice until you can control the drone by looking at it and not the controller or your phone. Make is so that the joysticks and buttons are as familiar as are your windshield wiper / turn signals / radio in your car.

....... Then you are ready for the wild and will become a Jedi Pilot.

I hope to be so worthy as a Jedi Pilot! :)

Wow guys. Thanks for all your feed back. Looking so forward to this. All the feedback has been very positive and thanks.

I fly both an I1Pro and a Mavic Pro for work. The MP is a wonderful aircraft and so much easier to fly. While I have had issues with the DJI Go 4 crashing or losing video I blame it completely on the software.

I like the MP so much I purchased an MP Platinum for Christmas and am starting to fly it for hobby. This was to allow me to train more without requiring a VO and so I don’t have to constantly post NOTAMS for training flights. The MPP is so much quieter that I wish DJI would let us upgrade the MP with trade in or ECU swap.

Definitely worth the purchase for personal enjoyment or quick realty/roofing 107 work.

Are the few extra minutes of flight time and Platinum color worth the difference to you?
The quietness compared to the MP is the reason I went for it, plus being the newer model it should be supported longer than the MP. Flying my work MP vs. MPP personal this is the one I should have gotten for work. I could sneak that thing into a building during a hostage situation and set it down as a remote camera. Very cool device.

sad.gif
I've had my mavic since it came out. Its still in perfect condition. NEVER been crashed. I always do the updates and fly within my limits. And I've easily flown it over 2 miles away from me. Remember there are always uninformed people complaining about things that are their own fault. Make an educated decision. You'll be fine...if you have questions this is a great forum for just that...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13