DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scared to buy

I fly both an I1Pro and a Mavic Pro for work. The MP is a wonderful aircraft and so much easier to fly. While I have had issues with the DJI Go 4 crashing or losing video I blame it completely on the software.

I like the MP so much I purchased an MP Platinum for Christmas and am starting to fly it for hobby. This was to allow me to train more without requiring a VO and so I don’t have to constantly post NOTAMS for training flights. The MPP is so much quieter that I wish DJI would let us upgrade the MP with trade in or ECU swap.

Definitely worth the purchase for personal enjoyment or quick realty/roofing 107 work.
As a skydive that jumps offsite from time to time, I'm familiar with filing NOTAM's (Notice To AirMen)
:) stay safe out there.

Was going to jump into buying a mavic in the next 2 weeks or so. and now I'm worried. After reading all the problems people are having with this complex little machine and the anguish people must go though I think I may change my mind. I was so looking forward to get into this and now I am having second thoughts. In Canada Best buy wont even take returns even if its defective. And it sounds like DJI has a lot of problems in general. With apps, trying to get tablets and phones to work, Drones coming out of the box defective. Just not sure. My heart says one thing and my brain says another.
sad.gif
Hi,

I recently bought a Mavic Pro to my son. One serious concern is the ongoing firmware updates (including ever more restrictions). The latest version (v01.04.0100) leaves on top of this no way back to previous firmware versions! Factory restore dose not help in this case (the local dealer confirm this issue) An annoying thing related to later firmware versions is that you can't take off without a phone! DJI seems have taken a path which makes the Mavic (maybe also their other products) less and less interesting. This said, there is a way to free the Mavic from restrictions but it's not an easy task.

Kindest Regards
Carsten

I had never flown a drown before, except for a really cheap toy. I watched a lot of you tube videos and read a lot. I was thinking about going with the spark at first because of the ease and cost.
I was very nervous about spending the money and losing it/crashing it. But I did and I love it. My first flight i was so nervous. But the thing is so easy to fly.
The challenge for new people like me, I believe, is remembering MY constraints and lack of knowledge. It's like getting a brand new high performance sports car when learning to drive. The thing can drive, no problem. But can i not go too fast in the wrong situation and crash it? Beginners mode and/or some height and distance restrictions helped me get more comfortable. So did reading this forum(From people that know what they are doing) and watching youtube videos from experienced people.

Barely 2 months in and I'm much more comfortable. I still have a TON to learn and a bunch of intelligent flight modes I haven't even tried yet. But I'm focused on learning at a slow steady pace. Focused on learning what to do when something fails. I'm very comfortable now with the Return to Home modes, how and when to kill those modes, and how to bring it back and land it manually. Learning to know my surroundings and making sure I'm putting the Mavic in safe situations.

I've only flown in Sports mode a few times so far, so I know how to do it in case I need to get the Mavic back faster or something. I'm lookinig forward to flying in Sports mode much more, but I want to learn more first.

And yes, I bought the DJI Care, so that adds to my piece of mind.

These are complex machines. Things CAN go wrong. But as others have mentioned, the VAST majority of instances are human error. Even ones that weren't....most could have been avoided with more knowledge of how to handle those situations better.

But make no mistake....this thing is A BLAST!! You'll love it.
Was very nervous about this when I got my Mavic so bought a cheap drone to practice with. The Mavic is way easier to fly than any cheap drone. Auto take off takes all the anxiety out. Fly slow, watch your camera, get used to the gimble . If you feel like you’re losing control, take your hands off the controls and it will just hover until you can look at your controls and figure out what you’re doing, where you are, what direction and altitude you are. Try to land with 50% of battery remaining at first. It takes very few flights to feel comfortable enough to start playing with the camera settings or flying it at a distance. This is the most fun I’ve had in a long time.

Reactions: ssvdh66
I've owned 2 out of the box, no problems, never owned a drone before this and after lots of learning from youtube and the internet, flying it is easy and extremely fun. (I'm a senior in a mechanical engineering program and decently tech savvy, so take that for what it's worth to you.) :)

I've owned it for 6 months now. It seems to me like at least half of the problems I see on this forum is user error thanks to inadequate research and educating; slow to read and watch, but fast to fly and take risks, so to speak. That's where lots of crashes come from. (Sadly, I launched it last week without gps connection yet and it strayed into my neighbors tree, crashed into the roof and slid down into their backyard. But, no damage!! I was amazed at how tough it seems. They certainly can break, don't get me wrong, but it's no fragile piece of glass.)

They are such a neat and unique consumer product that most people have never interacted with before, and the results are so fun to share with others (teach friends and family to fly it, share pictures and videos, marvel at a technological wonder, etc.) that I think it's very worth the $900 as long as that cost won't be a financial strain.

I'm a female old fart & have never owned a drone before my friend (female old fart as well) & myself decided our photography needed a new direction.The learning curve is steep but not undoable.Lots of open field practising being super cautious,lots of youtube,lots of really annoying questions asked in this & other forums & an amazing drone teacher (much younger male) Now we are comfortable flying over oceans,lakes etc.We still get butterflies doing something new but have a good grounding & understanding of what we can do & can't do.A few broken props (buy spares) but no flyaways or major crashes.Luv the Mavic!

From what I can see on youtube most (95%) of Mavic crashes are operator error. And many problems on this forum are pretty minor.

I read somewhere (and agree) that flying a drone is like driving down a freeway on a high speed motorbike with a $1000 gripped in your teeth. That's part of it.

My advice is start slow and fly at least 10 minutes every day. Within a couple of weeks you'll be an expert. Always fly forwards (so obstacle avoidance gives some protection) and steer with the yaw.

Use the negative comments as learning tools. I believe that most of these are pilot error. Read the manual thoroughly (several times!) and watch Youtube. You don't need to know how high, far and fast it will go. Fly it sensibly and you will get some great photos and video. It is a steep learning curve. Take your time and learn to trust it. My Mavic has been faultless. No problems with firmware or software updates. I use a Samsung Galaxy S5 phone. It's a bit old but works fine.
I'm 73 years young and still a kid at heart.

Was going to jump into buying a mavic in the next 2 weeks or so. and now I'm worried. After reading all the problems people are having with this complex little machine and the anguish people must go though I think I may change my mind. I was so looking forward to get into this and now I am having second thoughts. In Canada Best buy wont even take returns even if its defective. And it sounds like DJI has a lot of problems in general. With apps, trying to get tablets and phones to work, Drones coming out of the box defective. Just not sure. My heart says one thing and my brain says another.
sad.gif
Hi again,

As said, I bought the Mavic Pro for my son - he wished for a high quality drone which was easy for him to transport for vacation purposes.
Is the Mavic Pro worth the money?
The HW seems great - the problem is the SW. It seems like DJI through their firmware "updates" wants to play police (this also means that their data sheet has become a joke; try to go for 5km loft with the latest firmware!). For this reason I would never again invest in a DJI product! For lifting the DJI restrictions, there are a fair amount of information at the internet - just google for it.
This drone is rather expensive, and if you are able to build your own drone then you would get alot more for your money! Go with something like TBS or DragonLink plus quality HW, and you could have some serious stuff for the same amount of money.

From what I can see on youtube most (95%) of Mavic crashes are operator error. And many problems on this forum are pretty minor.

I read somewhere (and agree) that flying a drone is like driving down a freeway on a high speed motorbike with a $1000 gripped in your teeth. That's part of it.

My advice is start slow and fly at least 10 minutes every day. Within a couple of weeks you'll be an expert. Always fly forwards (so obstacle avoidance gives some protection) and steer with the yaw.
If things works, then nothing is more easy than flying a Mavic. It is rock steady!

Was very nervous about this when I got my Mavic so bought a cheap drone to practice with. The Mavic is way easier to fly than any cheap drone. Auto take off takes all the anxiety out. Fly slow, watch your camera, get used to the gimble . If you feel like you’re losing control, take your hands off the controls and it will just hover until you can look at your controls and figure out what you’re doing, where you are, what direction and altitude you are. Try to land with 50% of battery remaining at first. It takes very few flights to feel comfortable enough to start playing with the camera settings or flying it at a distance. This is the most fun I’ve had in a long time.
Hi,
I will challenge every MAVIC owners of the CHINESE Mavic product:
This is CRAP! And I will do the argumentation! I truely hates this piece of ****. Taking from above: WHY are there so plenty of Mavic forums? This alone displays the huge amount of problems this chinese **** product have infected towards us
Challenge me on the Mavic ****: Challenge me!

If things works, then nothing is more easy than flying a Mavic. It is rock steady!
China is number one - if you want to go for low quality. I could elaborate!
Through R&D engineering, I have a lot of exp. with chinese engineers. They are simply beyond everything in your nightmare _ they are no brains.

sad.gif

hey, I've been the same way. I ended up pulling the trigger on one on New Years Eve (Quick run to the DJI Popup Store) and got the basic Mavic Package. I was thinking about the Spark for a while instead as $$ outlay would seem to be cheaper,.. but when you factor extra batteries and the nicer controller that come with the mavic (plus the fact the Spark officially doesnt support OTG cable and the issues people were having for the extra $$ the mavic is the better choice. I am also travelling to NZ and Aust in a few months so that was part of the convincing I needed. I am glad I got it. Waiting for temps to warm up so I can try it out!
BTW - Also the fact getting it locally, *maybe* I'll get some store support if I need help.. we'll see, and hope I dont need to go that route

sad.gif

I was in the exact same boat you are in - here's my thinking.. (I decided not to purchase for many reasons)

I've had 2 drones, toys compared to DJI products, yet 4K camera's and GPS - so somewhat decent 'toys'. I returned the first after 3 days (a present for Christmas from my kids) as the charge time was 300+ minutes between flights. I bought the second and flight time was too short - 6-7 minutes in Colorado (thinner air = less flying time), then returned it after 3 days. During the return time and waiting for credits back to my account so I could buy Drone #2, I did a lot of research. It quickly became discouraging to see where I could not fly! All the ad's, by the beach, riding a bike out in the desert, showing remote cliffs and great scenery - all nice, but not realistic for many. Look at most YouTube videos, shot in an isolated location - not by accident, but that's the only place you can take video without being hassled. I then sought out a few in Colorado that have Mavic's - or any type of drone. They confirmed the limited places to actually fly drones - they too were discouraged by the lack of nice areas to film. As I have flown R/C planes and Helicopters for years, I REALLY wanted to get a nice drone, and take cool video - then I thought more, and the editing time involved, and just overall time needed with the risk of people worried about seeing a drone in the air, near them, and general perception of something flying / hovering over "their" airspace - and what was I going to do with my video when done shooting; post a neat video to my YouTube account? Heck' who's really going to look at it? I could tell my friends, my family, and I'd get 25 'hits' or views. Really, at the end of the day, who cares. I then talked to my wife about drones a bit, and it seems to be a binary opinion - she does not want to see any drone fly over her / the house / her car, ... and I said, "the drone is not looking at you, who cares about what you are doing - it's not taking video of you".. and she just stuck to her guns, "I just feel uncomfortable about seeing a drone fly over my head" (or within her view when she is out). While I thought a limited viewpoint, we all have to take into account there are people like this.

Statements like this (above): "Kinda explain to him what you just explained to us. If that doesn't work, ignore him and keep flying." DO NONE OF US any good - it just means the person will report to police or some other authority and more laws / restrictions will be put in place to prevent flying in even more places. My research found more and more city counsels / governments are placing restrictions on drones and flying within city limits. Hey, I don't like it any more than you, but at least acknowledge it's happening.

So, for me, and as much as I don't really like my decision, as I really (again) wanted a nice drone to play with, I've decided not to get a drone as I would push the limits and always be looking over my shoulder. It's a good decision for me. I see many drones for sale, and foresee more and more pilots being discouraged by the lack of hassle-free flying areas. DJI just opened a store in Colorado, they (and about every article I read about drones) are doing and injustice to many not educating potential owners on the pitfalls of drown ownership. There will be many more drones for sale as owners find out how inconvenient it is to fly where ever you want.

While we all have some sort of passion for flying, I will suggest you look into Radio Control planes or helicopters. Both are challenging (no RTH or hands off hovering), you control it from takeoff to landing. Yep, you need and AMA membership, which provides $1M insurance, and costs about $75 a year and you'll need to join a local club ($50/year about) to fly at your local site, but you are then among many that enjoy the same thing you do. You could fly a drone there too, but not much interesting to take video of as most flying sites are out in the middle of no-where, yet nice facilities - paved 600' long runways, shade, bathrooms, BBQ and flying events you can enter if you want.

I hope someday I get a nice drone and have a beautiful place to fly it - but for now, there are too many restrictions and flying at the same local park over and over again makes no sense to me.

Scott

Reactions: electroacouengineer
Sometimes you have to jump into the pool even before you start learn to swim ;) Good luck, dont worry. Just buy it.
Hi,
"Just buy it" Are you a ******* chines agent?
There are multiple reasons why you should NOT!!!!!!! buy this CHINA crap product! Challenge me! I am into drones! Start asking yourself why there is a mavicpilots.com and sim.? BECAUSE ... come on...you can do it - reaching truth. GOING into the drone world, you can chose one of two paths. Build your own drone - or buy a RTF drone. Going with the later, is a Mavic Pro a RTF drone? Judge for your self - judge from the thousand of complaints. As I se it, it is a chines piece of junk !
Said this, i hope we do a .... on North Korea, followed by a .... on China
Happy New Year

I was in the exact same boat you are in - here's my thinking.. (I decided not to purchase for many reasons)

I've had 2 drones, toys compared to DJI products, yet 4K camera's and GPS - so somewhat decent 'toys'. I returned the first after 3 days (a present for Christmas from my kids) as the charge time was 300+ minutes between flights. I bought the second and flight time was too short - 6-7 minutes in Colorado (thinner air = less flying time), then returned it after 3 days. During the return time and waiting for credits back to my account so I could buy Drone #2, I did a lot of research. It quickly became discouraging to see where I could not fly! All the ad's, by the beach, riding a bike out in the desert, showing remote cliffs and great scenery - all nice, but not realistic for many. Look at most YouTube videos, shot in an isolated location - not by accident, but that's the only place you can take video without being hassled. I then sought out a few in Colorado that have Mavic's - or any type of drone. They confirmed the limited places to actually fly drones - they too were discouraged by the lack of nice areas to film. As I have flown R/C planes and Helicopters for years, I REALLY wanted to get a nice drone, and take cool video - then I thought more, and the editing time involved, and just overall time needed with the risk of people worried about seeing a drone in the air, near them, and general perception of something flying / hovering over "their" airspace - and what was I going to do with my video when done shooting; post a neat video to my YouTube account? Heck' who's really going to look at it? I could tell my friends, my family, and I'd get 25 'hits' or views. Really, at the end of the day, who cares. I then talked to my wife about drones a bit, and it seems to be a binary opinion - she does not want to see any drone fly over her / the house / her car, ... and I said, "the drone is not looking at you, who cares about what you are doing - it's not taking video of you".. and she just stuck to her guns, "I just feel uncomfortable about seeing a drone fly over my head" (or within her view when she is out). While I thought a limited viewpoint, we all have to take into account there are people like this.

Statements like this (above): "Kinda explain to him what you just explained to us. If that doesn't work, ignore him and keep flying." DO NONE OF US any good - it just means the person will report to police or some other authority and more laws / restrictions will be put in place to prevent flying in even more places. My research found more and more city counsels / governments are placing restrictions on drones and flying within city limits. Hey, I don't like it any more than you, but at least acknowledge it's happening.

So, for me, and as much as I don't really like my decision, as I really (again) wanted a nice drone to play with, I've decided not to get a drone as I would push the limits and always be looking over my shoulder. It's a good decision for me. I see many drones for sale, and foresee more and more pilots being discouraged by the lack of hassle-free flying areas. DJI just opened a store in Colorado, they (and about every article I read about drones) are doing and injustice to many not educating potential owners on the pitfalls of drown ownership. There will be many more drones for sale as owners find out how inconvenient it is to fly where ever you want.

While we all have some sort of passion for flying, I will suggest you look into Radio Control planes or helicopters. Both are challenging (no RTH or hands off hovering), you control it from takeoff to landing. Yep, you need and AMA membership, which provides $1M insurance, and costs about $75 a year and you'll need to join a local club ($50/year about) to fly at your local site, but you are then among many that enjoy the same thing you do. You could fly a drone there too, but not much interesting to take video of as most flying sites are out in the middle of no-where, yet nice facilities - paved 600' long runways, shade, bathrooms, BBQ and flying events you can enter if you want.

I hope someday I get a nice drone and have a beautiful place to fly it - but for now, there are too many restrictions and flying at the same local park over and over again makes no sense to me.

Scott
Hi Scott,

I totally agree!
Viewing those DJI videos showing the "follow me" function in public places is a laugh; this is absolutely illegal in my country - probably in most countries.
One thing is restrictions within the law of various countries, another thing is build-in restrictions in the actual drone. This is specific why I truly regret buying the Mavic Pro!!! With the latest firmware your drone is very limited! On top of this; once loaded with this firmware, you can't go back to earlier firmware versions (yes, there is a fix - but it's quite risky). In reality, you now have a drone, that does not reflect the datasheet. In my view, this is fraud. I do hope to see law suits for this reason - especially within the US.
Why do DJI want to limit the Mavic (and other DJI products) through firmware? As I understand it, there was an incident in China - an airport violated by a drone... not sure if I recall this correctly. Maybe someone in here could elaborate on this?

In thinking on this a bit more, I can't help but wonder what DJI is doing to promote this hobby. I must see the writing on the wall. As more and more people look into drones before they buy, more and more will be discouraged. Of course, there will be some that don't care and they will buy a drone anyway, then quickly get bored with the lack of actual places to fly or being hassled where ever they fly, or always looking over their shoulder, but the point is, the hobby needs to have easy access for everyone to fly, must have locations that are beautiful to take video's, and must be easy to get to. BUT - these places are frequented by many people, your never alone, and all it will take is ONE drone to hit someone, or something, and it's done. The writing is on the wall. I'm hoping DJI introduces new drones in 2018, but I wonder about 2019, as by that time one of two things will happen; 1) the restrictions continue to get worse and city / county / state laws will be implemented such that you can't fly except in a few designated areas, or 2) the restrictions will be lifted, allowing more and more locations to fly, in which case, DJI and other manufacturers will continue to design new drones for the masses. You take your pick which one you think will happen, but I'm betting on #1 as current drone pilots that don't care will damage the industry for all - it happens time and time again - in many walks of life.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf