DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scared to look up????

L98ster

Reactions
Hi everyone,

Does this sound weird? I love flying my Mavic pro, and am getting pretty good with it. However, when the drone is overhead, I get a (scared, awkward, dizzying) feeling when looking up at it. I have no problems looking upward otherwise, and am not scared of heights.

It’s almost like I have to look up at it very slowly in order to be comfortable. Anyone else experience this, or am I going crazy??

-George

Not something I have experienced or heard as a claim by others to present as you describe.

It might be that in the action of looking up you have a subconscious concern your antennas on the remote could move in their orientation with respect to the drone and cause a disconnection (they should be laying flat when the drone is direct overhead given it is the worst possible orientation for signal strength.

Having pulled a Bone head move....
Out of battery I did the ( CSC) move and My drone fell out of the sky (60ft up)
like a 1.5Lb brick .!
..it has been nearly two and a half years and I still can hear that sound of Mavic Pro hitting the yard 2 feet from me
will Never forget might have PSDS from it.......So ya I feel ya
and why i try to fly off from directly overhead
and why I tell every one
" Never Fly With less Then 20% Battery"
.....cR

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Only time I get that scared feeling when I look up but don't see my Mavic.
I started out with an Xiaomi 4k drone, it is big & loud but so easy to know where it is at, The Mavic is so small & quiet I can get a panic on when I look up from my screen and don't immediately see it where I know it should be.

Hey George, I feel for you... My issue is fear of heights.
Reading about it I can tell you are doing exactly what is recommended to help you out with it. Flying your drone will exercise the action of looking up, straight, and down. You're in a good path.
I am trying to were my goggles more often when flying my MP to help me with my fears

Hi everyone,

Does this sound weird? I love flying my Mavic pro, and am getting pretty good with it. However, when the drone is overhead, I get a (scared, awkward, dizzying) feeling when looking up at it. I have no problems looking upward otherwise, and am not scared of heights.

It’s almost like I have to look up at it very slowly in order to be comfortable. Anyone else experience this, or am I going crazy??

-George
The clouds moving can get your brain confused. I work with cranes and I had an operator who was looking at the top of the leeds hanging from the boom of the crane but he could also see the clouds moving. He panicked thinking the boom was moving on it's own when really all what was happening was the clouds moving this caused the operator to take evasion action and he ended up tipping the crane with the load over sideways through another building next door. Luckily no one was injured.! There is a definition or a word for it, just cant think of it at the moment!

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I will have to say I agree with jimlips. If I stand and look straight up, I lose my balance.

Hi everyone,

-George
My case is obvious to me. I have a fake foot and hence, crappy balance when looking up!

I have the exact same feeling. I've been flying for 2 years w/o any crashes, but still get the feeling in the pit of my stomach when I look up. I usually fly in the woods near waterfalls, so I don't fly it that high normally. But I'm practicing in my driveway and have gotten as high as 250' and will try higher. I know what you feel. Practice makes perfect! Good luck.

I know exactly what you mean. I think it has to do with fear of your investment dropping out the sky!

Hi everyone,

-George
I have been flying for almost 5 years and if the drone is directly overhead I get that feeling every time. It's a cross between vertigo and panic. Thought it was just me...

Let me know if you find a good therapist and we'll split it!

Hi everyone,

-George
Vertigo is a normal thing with many of us. It will get better in time. Concentrate on your screen instead and learn to trust its info.

I have been flying for almost 5 years and if the drone is directly overhead I get that feeling every time. It's a cross between vertigo and panic. Thought it was just me...

Let me know if you find a good therapist and we'll split it!

It sounds like we have the same...phobia??? What’s funny is that I do not have anxiety, not scared of heights or anything else. The only time I have ever had this sensation was when I started flying my Mavic. I would imagine that I (we) will overcome this silly sensation with more practice. I’m just glad I’m not the only one. Thanks for the reply!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying